2022-2023 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary Questions:
All Essay questions have a max word count of 200 words.
Essay questions(1-4):
1. Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.
2.UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
3.Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…
4. If applicable, please answer the following
If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?

Are you a current or former student of the University of the Incarnate Word who falls in one of the categories below?
() Current MBS Student (2022-2023)
()Previous UIWSOM MBS Student
()Current UIW Undergraduate Student in Direct Admit Program

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything from this school yet?? Also, are u guys still classified as "verified" on the app or as "transmitted"??

Anyone hear anything from this school yet?? Also, are u guys still classified as "verified" on the app or as "transmitted"??
I haven't heard anything yet. Based on last year's thread it looks like they'll start sending secondaries in early July

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I'm classified as "verified" I don't think AACOMAS does a "transmitted" status because I've received notification from another school that they've received my primary app. Maybe we'll see some movement after the virtual fair tomorrow 👀

Also, I'm classified as "verified" I don't think AACOMAS does a "transmitted" status because I've received notification from another school that they've received my primary app. Maybe we'll see some movement after the virtual fair tomorrow 👀
It's on the 22nd! But I was thinking the same 😌

Do you think schools actually care about that stuff? Because I took a day off from work to attend lol
I think it's a great opportunity to show interest in the school and the particular programs they offer!

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary/supplementary app invite received today 6/21/22.

@PapaGuava
All Essay questions have a max word count of 200 words.
Essay questions(1-4):
1. Explain your understanding of osteopathic medicine and your interest in pursuing this pathway to becoming a physician.
2.UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?
3.Please describe your preparation for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Include any tools you may have used to prepare, length of study time, practice exams, etc…
4. If applicable, please answer the following
If you are reapplying to UIWSOM, what have you done to strengthen your application since you last applied?

Are you a current or former student of the University of the Incarnate Word who falls in one of the categories below?
() Current MBS Student (2022-2023)
()Previous UIWSOM MBS Student
()Current UIW Undergraduate Student in Direct Admit Program

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
as a Muslim how can I possibly go about the question on UIWSOM being a faith-based school and how I can contribute to UIWSM by fulfilling this mission?

as a Muslim how can I possibly go about the question on UIWSOM being a faith-based school and how I can contribute to UIWSM by fulfilling this mission?
Lol same boat

Maybe talk about how despite your beliefs you're accepting of others etc

I would recommend checking out their mission page as they expand beyond the faith-based nature of the "mission." Typically Catholic schools have a mission to serve the underserved.

Reactions: 2 users
Are they sorting through applications personally, because I haven't received a secondary yet? Also, do they screen? I have a 2.96 cumulative.

Are they sorting through applications personally, because I haven't received a secondary yet? Also, do they screen? I have a 2.96 cumulative.
Haven’t received either. 3.0 cumulative.

I got a complete email but my physician letter isn’t in? What’s up with that?

received a secondary today and i was verified on 06/25. my letters say incomplete but it is showing that they received them. i think it might be a glitch given @shahsarthak007 issues as well.

received a secondary today and i was verified on 06/25. my letters say incomplete but it is showing that they received them. i think it might be a glitch given @shahsarthak007 issues as well.
The letters may have been sent to UIWSOM, but usually a human being in the admissions office still has to match them with the rest of your file and then will check you off as complete.
If you have done your part, there's no more for you to do.

At what point do I start panicking if I haven't received a secondary from them yet? This is my target school. I fit the stats, app. complete, etc. And still nothing in mid-july.

At what point do I start panicking if I haven't received a secondary from them yet? This is my target school. I fit the stats, app. complete, etc. And still nothing in mid-july.
IIRC, applicants were still receiving secondaries after the winter holidays. You might want to check the 2021-2022 UIW SDN thread.

how long after verification did y'all get secondaries?

Verified 5/24.. still nothing. Should I call the school or I'm done lol? Was the "up to 4 weeks" aspect from when it was verified or when it was transmitted on 6/15?

Verified 5/24.. still nothing. Should I call the school or I'm done lol? Was the "up to 4 weeks" aspect from when it was verified or when it was transmitted on 6/15?

Same boat:( still nothing, oos

Good morning all you eager UIWSOM applicants! I'm not on this school's committee or anything but I keep up on all the Texas schools.

From what I observed last year, UIWSOM takes a little time to read their applications and also they are probably dealing with orientation and other activities for their newest incoming class right now.
Last year they had advanced to sending out interview invitations once a week in August, and then once a month September to December, with one last weekly flurry in April.
It's a long application cycle, and starts out slowly, so please don't feel worried that you haven't done things right if you don't hear back right away. Good luck & keep busy with other things while you wait!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm starting to think if you were verified in May, and still haven't got anything, you're done for this school...
Patience. July is incredibly early for anything, and schools will continuously review everyone's applications throughout the entire cycle

Patience. July is incredibly early for anything, and schools will continuously review everyone's applications throughout the entire cycle
I'm also considering that on their website, they say that invites will come "up to 4 weeks' after verification. It's been like 7 weeks for everyone verified in May lol. From the ones that got II, it seems they fit with that rule.

I'm also considering that on their website, they say that invites will come "up to 4 weeks' after verification. It's been like 7 weeks for everyone verified in May lol. From the ones that got II, it seems they fit with that rule.
I don't believe that anyone has posted about getting an II yet. According to least years thread they didn't send invites out til august

For those of us who were verified in May, do not lose hope. I just spoke to someone from admissions and they said we can expect to hear back soon :) takes 4-5 weeks to review since the time we got the email that our application was received. Still holding hope here

Attended an Info. event at this school. Just curious, they said their curriculum was self-directed learning and learning in groups. One MD professor said that in the first 2 months students learned more than he did in 2 years at an MD school because they were actively learning instead of just listening to lectures and reading handouts. Is this the case at every medical school, where they focus on active rather than passive learning? Cause I was really convinced they were unique and I was going to be a stellar doctor after their presentation lol.

I'm a San Antonio resident. I want to stay home, take care of my family, etc. Should I contact the school and relay this? I still haven't gotten anything after the primary, and very concerned. Should I take some action or just hang tight?

I'm a San Antonio resident. I want to stay home, take care of my family, etc. Should I contact the school and relay this? I still haven't gotten anything after the primary, and very concerned. Should I take some action or just hang tight?

I’m also curious. I reached out and they we can expect to hear back in about 4-5 weeks from the time they got our application. Tomorrow marks 5 weeks and I haven’t heard back…

Their office is really helpful, def call