2022-2023 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the main secondary essay prompts for WVSOM
There may also be a few more short-answer questions on the portal where you will submit the secondary.

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician? (500 characters)

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools? (500 characters)

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded (500 characters)

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school? (500 characters)

5. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others. (500 characters)

6. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas? (500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone. I just finished up my third year and am getting ready to start my fourth year at WVSOM. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about anything at all or help out in any way I can. Feel free to reach out!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone. I just finished up my third year and am getting ready to start my fourth year at WVSOM. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about anything at all or help out in any way I can. Feel free to reach out!
I saw the match was excellent this year and am wondering how many students end up needing to repeat a year? Would you say it's above or below average at WVSOM? This is an important stat and I'm not sure where to go for it other than a current student or recent grad. What's your take on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw the match was excellent this year and am wondering how many students end up needing to repeat a year? Would you say it's above or below average at WVSOM? This is an important stat and I'm not sure where to go for it other than a current student or recent grad. What's your take on this?
I'll say the number greatly goes down each year. My first year, I can think of maybe 10-12 people who had to repeat or dropped out during the year maybe 5 second year, and I can't think of any third year (clinicals are much much better than pre-clinical). My class size when we started first year was like 210 or something, so that'd a pretty low percentage. The school does not want you to repeat as that looks bad for them so they will do their best to work with you if you are at risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Just graduated. Yes, the match was almost perfect. Our class filled a lot of competitive slots. There were a good chunk of students that either dropped out or repeated. We started with 215 and ended up with a graduating class of 197. That does tell the full story though because there are many from other years that joined our class including second year repeaters. Lots of people who graduated with me that I've never seen before. I think all in all we lost between 30 and 40 from the original 215. The situation is different for everyone. I can get you exact numbers if you'd like. PM me. Any other questions, let me know.

Does anyone have access to the secondary? I logged in but don't see any sort of secondary application link (The email said this might take 24 hours but just wanted to make sure I'm not just missing something that everyone else sees)

Does anyone have access to the secondary? I logged in but don't see any sort of secondary application link (The email said this might take 24 hours but just wanted to make sure I'm not just missing something that everyone else sees)
I am having the same experience

Same but 40 mins after I logged in, I received an email saying welcome to WVSOM. And now I can see the secondary app.

Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava

Secondary Prompts:

*500 Word Limit for All Text Entry*

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

6. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

*There are a few other text entry boxes, but those are to explain you responded to particular multiple choice questions - I think these listed above are the main ones*
No no good sir, it is 500 character limit to all text entry. Not "500 words"

@PapaGuava

Secondary Prompts:

*500 Word Limit for All Text Entry*

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

6. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

*There are a few other text entry boxes, but those are to explain you responded to particular multiple choice questions - I think these listed above are the main ones*
oh how I wish it was 500 words and not characters...

oh how I wish it was 500 words and not characters...
Why would you want to write 500 words for 6 different prompts haha. But yeah you can articulate your interest clearly then.

Recent Graduate here. This school is searching for those interested in rural, primary care, and those who want to practice in West Virginia. Feed this into your secondary answers and you'll be golden.

• Care
This fireside chat thing sounds like such a great opportunity (to also get info on the school to use in secondaries) but I can't wait that long to submit, lolol.

LOL is there a right or wrong answer for this? Idk how many exactly but however much it takes lol. "How many hours per week are you willing to study in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Enter a number. Optional brief comments about your study habit"

LOL is there a right or wrong answer for this? Idk how many exactly but however much it takes lol. "How many hours per week are you willing to study in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? Enter a number. Optional brief comments about your study habit"
DUDE right? My answer is basically a politely worded "I've never been to med school so would I know? But to answer the question, yes, I'm willing to work my butt off if that's what you wanted to know" I also gave a sort of ideal schedule in my head for a week to week deal...

• Haha
Also, what am I supposed to do with 500 characters? I can barely form 3 sentences without going over the word count 😂

Reactions: 2 users
Guys I'm trying to submit the secondary but when I hit "print copy" to see how it looks, it doesn't show the answers I picked for the questions. Does anyone have this issue?

Also, what am I supposed to do with 500 characters? I can barely form 3 sentences without going over the word count 😂
literally. How do I describe an ethically challenging situation, what I did, and what I learned in 3 sentences.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! For the last question asking if we had experience living or visiting rural areas, what are you guys writing if you grew up in a very urban area? I guess I'm just struggling on writing something meaningful for this one

Did anyone sign up for the fireside chat? Will we be sent a zoom link?

how long did it take after submitting primary to get a secondary?

If we are signed up for the upcoming fireside chat, can we say that we attended it on the application even though it has not occurred yet?

Since this thread is more active now, wanted to bump this

Since this thread is more active now, wanted to bump this

How is the general vibe with your class, professors and the community? Also, how much emphasis is put into rural care? I know that it's part of their mission, but I was wondering how they incorporated it into the curriculum?

sgpa is a 3.19. 3.7 sgpa for my last 48 units (I really did myself a number my first years in undergrad). 508 MCAT. Will update if they screen me out or round up to a 3.2. Currently doing a DIY postbacc and am in the middle of my first class. GL everyone

How is the general vibe with your class, professors and the community? Also, how much emphasis is put into rural care? I know that it's part of their mission, but I was wondering how they incorporated it into the curriculum?
The community is amazing. That's one of the big reasons I chose the school. The vast majority of the students have the "we're in this together" mindset. You will obviously have some pretentious gunners but that's every med school. Most of the professors are very laid back and helpful. Everybody in the community can usually tell you're a student because Lewisburg is small and most families have been there for generations. I really enjoyed the community. As long as you come to Lewisburg and respect those in the community around you there should be absolutely no problems.

As for rural care in the curriculum, not much from my recollection, at least in preclinical years. In clinical years, there's a rural rotation requirement, so we have to do I believe 12 weeks of rotations at a rural site, so that's how it's more incorporated.

Does anybody know when they start sending out interview invites?

by far one of the hardest secondaries ever due to the limit

Reactions: 2 users
Have you been convicted of an infraction of local laws or city ordinances, summary offenses, misdemeanors, or felonies that are not listed on your AACOM application?
If we got speeding tickets, do we need to click yes on this question?

Have you been convicted of an infraction of local laws or city ordinances, summary offenses, misdemeanors, or felonies that are not listed on your AACOM application?
If we got speeding tickets, do we need to click yes on this question?
I don't think speeding tickets count. At least in all the other secondaries there is the exception of speeding tickets.

anyone else when they try to submit step 1 keep getting forwarded to it saying your submission was not saved?

anyone else when they try to submit step 1 keep getting forwarded to it saying your submission was not saved?
jk figured it out, submitted and now says under review!

Did anyone answer secondary questions in bullet point format? I feel like it would work for 1. Why DO? and 2. Why WVSOM? The 500-character requirement is forcing me to write like a 12-year-old in order to get all of my thoughts out lol.

In the previous cycle, They started sending IIs in the upcoming week.

Anyone marked complete? Mine says in review