2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary Questions:
500 word limits.
1. What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
2. If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?
3. If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so.
4. Are you providing a letter of recommendation from a physician? (Yes/No)
5. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community?
6. How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
7. Why do you want to attend COMP?
8. What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important?
9. Have you participated in research? (yes/no)
9.1 If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participation in the research.
9.2 Please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible.
9.3 Did you contribute to the published work as an author/coauthor? (yes/no)
10. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.).
11. Are you a transfer applicant? (yes/no)

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received notification of app received on 5:06 pm. IS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS Secondary invite received. @PapaGuava here are the essay questions for this year:

They all have 500 word limits.
1. What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
2. If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?
3. If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so.
4. Are you providing a letter of recommendation from a physician? (Yes/No)
5. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community?
6. How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
7. Why do you want to attend COMP?
8. What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important?
9. Have you participated in research? (yes/no)
9.1 If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participation in the research.
9.2 Please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible.
9.3 Did you contribute to the published work as an author/coauthor? (yes/no)
10. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.).
11. Are you a transfer applicant? (yes/no)

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been able to submit their secondary? Mine keeps saying there's an error but I can't figure it out.

anyone else unable to access the portal? Temp pin never comes to email

Has anyone been able to submit their secondary? Mine keeps saying there's an error but I can't figure it out.
I called admissions office and they said to wait a day. The counselor I talked to said he thinks since today's the first wave of secondary invites, the back end hasn't fully activated everything yet.

I called admissions office and they said to wait a day. The counselor I talked to said he thinks since today's the first wave of secondary invites, the back end hasn't fully activated everything yet.
can you help me with accessing the portal? It hasn't sent me the pin

For those that completed the secondaries, did you use all 500 words for all the prompts? Im starting to prewrite for this school and I'm not sure how I write 500 words for my most memorable community service activity.

For those that completed the secondaries, did you use all 500 words for all the prompts? Im starting to prewrite for this school and I'm not sure how I write 500 words for my most memorable community service activity.
I'm averaging around 250-300 words per essay. I think my longest has 375?

But I can tell you that DEI is gonna be shorter because there aren't too many ways you can say what DEI means to you without being redundant.

I'm averaging around 250-300 words per essay. I think my longest has 375?

But I can tell you that DEI is gonna be shorter because there aren't too many ways you can say what DEI means to you without being redundant.
The DEI one isn't bad because ive written one for another school. the one im having trouble with is the mission statement and why our school. Many of the schools im applying to ive been using the why us essay in combination with the mission statement. Separating these has made me start from scratch. I also feel that I am starting to repeat myself in all these essays.

Any Canadians get a secondary? Submitted since late May but got nothing.

Anybody get a pre-secondary R yet? Hoping this school isn't like WCUCOM and just ghosts if they don't wanna send u one

For the secondary questions, when it says shadow/observe can you use your primary care doctor as someone you observed?

Same here, after submitting the payment it let me logout but on the main page it says “Awaiting” for the secondary and app fee. Never got a confirmation email. I wonder if it takes a few days for it to process?

For the physician shadowing entries portion, would scribing work? It’s a “one on one activity with a physician” and my experience scribing for doctors was much more significant for me and more 1:1 interaction with doctors than my actual shadowing experience

Last edited:
I still haven't received anything from here or the OR one. Are there people that haven't received secondaries?

For the physician shadowing entries portion, would scribing work? It’s a “one on one activity with a physician” and my experience scribing for doctors was much more significant for me and more 1:1 interaction with doctors than my actual shadowing experience
yeah, my friend did that last cycle and he got into a bunch of DOs

Wondering this as well. Was verified on 6/18, got the app received email on 7/6 and nothing since then /:
no secondary here either, i was also verified on 6/18, received email on 7/6. whats ur gpa/mcat if u don't mind me asking and are you IS or OOS?

I just submitted my secondary for COMP, and now I can't access the portal to COMP-NW. Is it one application for both schools???? I had written the "why us" answers differently for each school.