2022 Matriculation (hopefully) WAMC/School list help please! cGPA 3.69 sGPA 3.6 MCAT 515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsearz

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here. Would really appreciate some advice on my school list and chances.

• Year in school: Graduated (May 2020)
  • State of Residence: NY
  • Undergrad institution: Northeastern University
  • cGPA: 3.69
  • sGPA: 3.6
  • MCAT: 515 (128/127/129/131)
  • Research
    • 6 months clinical research in a sleep lab
    • 1 year social psychology research
      • Poster presentation at university-wide conference
    • 6 months neuro-immunology research at Harvard Med School
    • 8 months immune cell therapy research
    • 9 months (and counting) cancer and rare disease research
  • Clinical Experience
    • During my clinical research internship, I had extensive contact with patient, including hands-on setup of PSG equipment and taking vitals; handled blood and worked with medical laboratory
      • 6 months if this counts
  • Shadowing
    • ICU/Internal Med: 10 hours
    • Opthalmology: 40 hours
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Eagle Scout Project (~200 hours)
      • Restored a run-down room in an extended care facility and turned it into a kitchen for residents to use
      • Completed in high school
    • Cooked meals for Hope Lodge (~10 hours)
    • Helped shop for and organize items and donated to orphanage (~10 hours)
  • Extracurriculars
    • Club Running team at NU
    • Tutored genetics
School List

Albert Einstein
Brown
Case Western
Dartmouth
Drexel
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Icahn School of Medicine, Mt. Sinai
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Stonybrook
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
U of Michigan
U of Pittsburgh
U of Rochester
U of Vermont
Virginia Tech

Thanks everyone, and good luck to you all too!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a pretty solid application.

What about Albany as you're from NY?

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with adding Albany Med. And keep up your non-clinical volunteering, which looks like the weak point in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a pretty solid application.

What about Albany as you're from NY?
That's true. I had heard mixed things about Albany and was hesitant to add it to the list, but I guess beggars can't be choosers when it comes to med school. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with adding Albany Med. And keep up your non-clinical volunteering, which looks like the weak point in your application.
I was thinking the same thing; more non-clinical definitely would help. Thanks!

That's true. I had heard mixed things about Albany and was hesitant to add it to the list, but I guess beggars can't be choosers when it comes to med school. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I mean think about it this way, if Albany was your only acceptance would you not attend?

Yeah, I mean think about it this way, if Albany was your only acceptance would you not attend?
fair enough haha. I'm trying to keep a hard cap of 25 schools based on the recommendations of my pre-med advising office; would you have a suggestion for which school to cut?

It's actually a pretty decent option. Own hospital system, long-standing reputation. I'd probably go to Albany over NYMC.

Reactions: 1 users
fair enough haha. I'm trying to keep a hard cap of 25 schools based on the recommendations of my pre-med advising office; would you have a suggestion for which school to cut?
I'd drop Brown. GPAs are right at 25% and MCAT below median.

Does Vtech take many OOS?

Virginia Tech is not a bad choice for OOS if you have a strong research background. They accept well over half from OOS and some of those from well outside the region. It is a very small class though. Research is key.