***2023 Update*** FAQs - Post 9/11 & Montgomery GI Bill Benefits - VR&E Chapter 31 Benefits - Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship (Files Attached)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this section: Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), Post 9-11 GI Bill, and Veteran Readiness & Employment Program (formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) Benefits will be discussed in detail (as it pertains to healthcare professional students) along with commonly asked questions pertaining to each. All references are from the Veteran Affairs Department of Education and Employability website. Look for updates as these benefits change more frequently than most. In addition, details of the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship have been included as well.

*** (Chapter 30) Montgomery GI Bill: ***

What is it? Chapter 30 Benefits is an education benefits program to Veterans and Service-members who have / had at least two or three years of active-duty service (based on first enlistment obligation). The type of assistance may cover college degree and certificate programs, licensing and certification tests, certain entrance examinations, and correspondence courses. Common usage is for 36 months of college education depending how much the individual service member contributed into the $600 buy-up program.

What is the $600 buy-up program? Some Service-members may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5,400 in additional GI Bill benefits. The additional contribution must be made while on active duty. View the following website for additional information:

$600.00 Buy-up Rates - Education and Training

Am I eligible? Eligibility for Chapter 30 benefits is ranked based on four categories: visit the following website for details: Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Education and Training

How long is it good for? 10 years from separation of the uniformed services. Waivers may be submitted for extensions depending on life circumstances.

**Cons**: A service member will qualify for 36 months of academic education coverage based on a monthly full-time payment rate of $2,210. This will increase October 1st of every year and requires no reapplication to qualify for the adjusted rate. For any amount above the payment rate you put towards tuition, additional months will be taken away from your Chapter 30 benefits.

For less than full-time status (<12 hours), please see the listed training coverage below:

1) 3/4 time (9 to 11 hours): $1,657.50

2) 1/2 time (6 to 8 hours): $1,075

3) Less than 1/2 time (3 to 4 hours): $1,105

4) 1/4 time or less (0 to 2 hours): $552.50

Keep in mind: If you exhaust your 36 months of Chapter 30 entitlements, you may qualify for an additional 12-month Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill benefits. You must NOT have 1 day left or you will only qualify for 1 day of Chapter 33 (VA is very picky when it comes to giving out money).

For Reference, please visit: Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Education and Training

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***(Chapter 33) Post 9-11 GI Bill***

What is it? Chapter 33 is another education benefit similar to the Chapter 30 MGIB with a few bonus caveats: All tuition is covered for any public school in the U.S. with a $1000 annual book stipend and Monthly Housing Allowance (Tax Free). Housing pay rate is based on the E-5 with dependents rate of the zip code of the university. These benefits last for 36 months toward education. Private and few chosen foreign schools (Not all Caribbean Schools for example) will only cover the national maximum academic year cap of $26,381.37. For private institutions, check their eligibility of the yellow ribbon program (Please see below).

**For Housing rates please use GI Bill Comparison Tool** GI Bill Comparison Tool | Veterans Affairs

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program? This program is a binding contract with the VA and your institution in order to choose the amount of tuition and fees it wishes to contribute. Upon an agreed amount, the VA will match the amount and pay its portion directly to the institution. Visit the following website to know how much your institution will cover with the joint yellow ribbon program:

Yellow Ribbon Program Information
Find A Yellow Ribbon School

As a veteran, what states do I qualify for the in-state tuition rate? All public schools in the 50 states within 3 years of leaving active-duty service.

What if I choose to attend school online? If you attend school exclusively online, your housing pay is $964.40 but if you attend class's part time or less you will NOT be eligible for housing allowance (likewise if a spouse is currently active duty and you’re utilizing the benefits).

How do I Qualify? For those with at least 90 days of active-duty service from September 11th, 2001, to the present and still continuing active-duty service or have an honorable discharge including but not limited to a service-connected disability after 30 days may be eligible for the program (along with a $1200 buy-in while on active duty for those serving at least 12 consecutive months).

**Eligibility Percentages as of 2023** (Note: Purple Heart Recipients qualify for 100%)

1) 36 months of Active-Duty Service (1,095 days): 100%

2) 30+ consecutive days on active-duty service with a discharge service-connected disability: 100%

3) 910 to 1,094 days (30 to 35 months): 90%

4) 730 to 909 days (24 to 29 months): 80%

5) 545 to 729 days (18 to 23 months): 70%

6) 180 to 544 days (6 to 17 months): 60%

7) 90 to 179 days (90 days to 5 months): 50%

Can I Transfer my Education Benefits to my spouse and kids? Yes! Service members may have the option to transfer all or some unused benefits to their children or spouse. This transfer must take place while the individual is on active duty. For more information, please visit:

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents - Education and Training

What if I live in a rural area trying to attend school away from home? For those in rural areas in a county with 6 persons or less per square mile, you may accept a $500 relocation payment if the institution is at least 500 miles away.

Any Cons I Should consider? You can be reimbursed up to $2,000 per National Testing Program / Licensing and Certification test (USMLE steps, NAPLEX, etc). Keep in mind, part of your entitlement will be charged if you use this feature. Also, once you elect Chapter 33, you must forfeit your Chapter 30 benefits. Find out which tests are covered and how much they cost.

I heard I could extend my education benefits to 48 months. Is this true? If you completely exhaust your MGIB (Chapter 30), you may opt into the Chapter 33 (Post 9-11) Benefits for an extra 12 months (totaling 48 months but your benefit for the program must be completely exhausted).

for Reference, please visit: VA.gov | Veterans Affairs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***(Chapter 31) Veteran Readiness & Employment Program (VR&E Benefits)***

What is it? Veteran Readiness & Employment Program (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program and thus recognized by the name "Voc-Rehab" - Chapter 31) is for those service-members expected to receive an honorable (or other than dishonorable) discharge with at least a service-connected disability rating of 10% with a serious employment handicap (SEH), or 20% or more with an employment handicap. It is geared for gainful employment due to a severe handicap disability brought on by the military. As such, you will be appointed a Voc-Rehab Counselor (VRC).

Is it another Educational Benefit? No!!!!! (Allow me to elaborate): This is considered an entry level job employment benefit that "may-be-considered" for educational purposes. For SDN members, becoming a physician, pharmacist, nurse, dentist, physician-assistant, physical therapist (etc.), may be considered an entry level job employment that requires schooling (thus, may seem as if it's an educational benefit).

If I use this for school, what are my benefits? The educational benefits can be 48 months of no cap tuition coverage at any institution (public or private). Along with tuition coverage, Chapter 31 will cover additional cost of books and supplies in support of your rehabilitation to seek employment. Examples of coverage can be a new laptop, printer, lab supplies, Exam prep material and professional examination tests (USMLE steps, NAPLEX, etc.). With proper waivers, a disabled veteran may extend the 48 months to cover additional schooling beyond a bachelors such as additional coverage for Med School, Pharmacy, PA, etc.

What's the Housing Allowance for Chapter 31? To see the latest subsistence rates, visit:

Chapter 31 - Subsistence Allowance Rates as of October 1st, 2023 (Based Upon 6.2% Consumer Price Index (CPI) Increase)

Chapter 31 Recipients, please keep in mind: if you have at least 1 day left of your Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) benefits, you automatically get the extension of your housing allowance at the higher Chapter 33 rate for the remainder of your Chapter 31 (VR&E) benefits (much better rating offered than on the Voc Rehab Benefit plan).

What do I need to be aware of?
You can only have a combined 48-month education coverage when going from Chapter 33 to Chapter 31. If you use all 36 months of your Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill), you can only use 12 months of Chapter 31 (VR&E) benefits. The only exception to this rule is if a veteran is found to have a serious employment handicap (SEH) which would allow an extension beyond the 48-month rule. As of April 1st, 2021 - For every day you use VR&E benefits, it will no longer count against your Chapter 33 (Post 9/11GI Bill) benefits. For many veterans, this could mean VR&E paying for medical school, and then using your Post 9/11 GI Bill to collect a housing allowance (BAH) while doing a residency. Remember though, if you first use Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) and then switch over to VR&E, the amount of time you used on your Post 9/11 GI Bill will take away the amount of time toward your VR&E benefits (give yourself a moment to internalize this rule as it can come at a cost if not utilized correctly).

To better understand this new rule, here is a couple of examples:

Example #1: BC_89 gets accepted to University of SDN. From day one until graduation, BC_89 has used 36 months of his Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) Benefits while majoring in Biochemistry. Upon graduation, BC_89 had interviewed and was accepted to SDN - School of Pharmacy. Upon meeting the credentials to possibly use VR&E, BC_89 realizes he would only qualify for 12 additional months of education coverage. Since BC_89 does not qualify of having a serious employment handicap (SEH), BC_89 is denied VR&E benefits since he cannot use more than 48 months of benefits when going from his Post 9/11 to VR&E (VR&E will not give the 12 months if the veteran cannot earn his/her certificate within that time frame).

Example #2: After taking advantage of pell-grant and scholarships in undergrad, BC_89 is excited to announce that he has been accepted to SDN - School of Pharmacy. Upon qualifying and meeting with a VR&E counselor, BC_89 is found entitled to use his Chapter 31 (VR&E) benefits to help pay for his education. Upon graduation, BC_89 was able to match to a PGY-1 residency located at the SDN - Medical Center. Upon completion of his VR&E benefits, BC_89 realizes he has not touched his Post 9/11 GI Bill. Realizing this and knowing VR&E doesn't take away any months from his GI Bill, BC_89 invokes his Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) Benefits in order to get BAH every month while he is in residency!!! Deciding to specialize, BC_89 does a PGY-2 residency in Infectious Disease at the same Medical Center. Once again, BC_89 uses an additional year of his Post 9/11 Benefits to collect on another years' worth of BAH!!!

Is my disability rating my only qualification? Unfortunately, it is difficult to obtain this benefit based on disability rating alone. The veteran must present his/her case that their disability handicap is so severe that they no longer can work based on their current education qualifications. For example, if a veteran developed a degenerative disc in his/her lower back, he/she cannot work construction anymore based on past certificates. Thus, the veteran will apply to be an accountant with extra padding for their seat.

What are examples of proof I may need to plead my case for Chapter 31 Benefits?

Burden of Proof: In order to utilize benefits for healthcare professional programs such as Dental, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Nursing, or Medical School: an individual must plea his/her case in having evidence as to why you cannot currently obtain a job with your listed service-connected disabilities. In other words, if you have a Bio Degree and can prove as to why you cannot be a teacher or lab assistant, you may plea your case to go to medical school with an acceptance in hand and a copy of your transcripts. You are selling your case to the Voc-Rehab Counselor (VRC) and must have a signing approval for your educational needs to be covered. Period of eligibility is a 12-year period beginning on the date of a veteran's discharge or release from his or her last period of active military, naval, or air service, and ending on the date that is 12 years from the veteran's discharge or release date.

Recommendations: Have a copy of your DD-214, College Transcripts, copy of medical conditions (ie PTSD, missing limbs, TBI, etc), and acceptance letter of university in hand. This burden of proof is geared toward forcing the hand of your VRC to send your paperwork and not give them a chance to reject your plea. Remember, the purpose of the entitlement is to establish no employability thus requiring you to seek higher healthcare professional programs at the expense of the program not you.

As a disabled veteran, you have earned the right to appeal and reapply if you are turned down. Exhaust all of your options and seek further guidance from different counselors in your region.

If you would like to speak with experienced veterans or VRC's about your case, please join the Vocational Rehab, Chapter 31 (Veteran Affairs) Discussion Group and complete your verification (3 Questions) to join today.

For additional reference, please visit: VA.gov | Veterans Affairs

I've provided my own experience going through Chapter 31 with a pdf attachment.

**Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship**

What is it? The Rogers STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) Scholarship is an educational benefit that will provide up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (to a maximum of $30,000) to qualifying Veterans and Fry Scholars.

Which degree programs can I use? Students pursuing an undergraduate STEM degree, health clinical professional degree, teaching certificate, health clinical training (technicians and assistance) certification, and health care residency/fellowship programs. For a detailed list, please visit the following link below and follow the prompts to download the latest pdf file (it is also saved as a file at the bottom of this thread, please look at DIGIT CODE - 60 for specific residency/fellowship programs).

Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship - Education and Training

If I'm enrolled in a covered health care professional (or) residency/fellowship program, what are the eligibility requirements?

All of these must be true:

• You’ve earned a qualifying degree in a STEM field, and
  • You’ve been accepted or are enrolled in a covered clinical training program for health care professionals, and
  • You have 6 months or less of your Post-9/11 GI Bill (or Fry Scholarship) benefits left. To find out how much of your benefits you have left, check your Post-9/11 GI Bill Statement of Benefits.

If I'm enrolled in an undergraduate STEM degree (or) qualifying dual degree program, what are the eligibility requirements?

All of these must be true:

• You’re enrolled in a qualifying undergraduate STEM degree program that requires at least 120 standard semester credit hours (or 180 quarter credit hours) to complete, and
  • You’ve completed at least 60 standard credit hours (or 90 quarter credit hours) toward your degree, and
  • You have 6 months or less of your Post-9/11 GI Bill (or Fry Scholarship) benefits left. To find out how much of your benefits you have left, check your Post-9/11 GI Bill Statement of Benefits.
**Note: You can’t use the STEM scholarship for graduate degree programs at this time. This is different than "professional programs" that are beyond a bachelors...please reach out if you have additional concerns.

Further questions? please create a thread in this sub-forum for others to read. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Chapter 31 Interview Experience.pdf
    213.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Edith Nourse STEM Scholarship Qualifying Programs.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.