2023-2024 Baptist University College of Osteopathic Medicine (BUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 BUCOM Secondary Prompts

250 words each

1. BUCOM shares the values of our larger learning community at Baptist Health Sciences University such as integrity, professionalism, continuous improvement, and service as an expression of our Christian values. We foster a Christian environment where servant leadership is modeled in all aspects of learning, teaching, service, and business. Describe what it means to be a servant leader and how it connects to your decision to become an osteopathic physician.

2. Why did you decide to apply to BUCOM, and what personal values will you bring that will enhance our campus community during your time here?

3. After residency, describe the community setting, job role, and type of practice in where you see yourself.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback: Baptist Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone applying here? I saw the AACOMAS requirement that they needed 4 LORs, yikes. Anyone know if they'll use federal student loans considering they're owned by Baptist Memorial hospital in Memphis? I'd imagine they wouldn't be half bad since they have a solid clinical site for rotations. Any insight from anyone? Or should I just leave them off my school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's BUCOM? Burrell in New Mexico?
With OP's note that it is owned by a hospital in Memphis, this appears to be a brand new osteopathic school for this cycle. I have moved the OP's question to the school-specific thread.
Is anyone applying here? I saw the AACOMAS requirement that they needed 4 LORs, yikes. Anyone know if they'll use federal student loans considering they're owned by Baptist Memorial hospital in Memphis? I'd imagine they wouldn't be half bad since they have a solid clinical site for rotations. Any insight from anyone? Or should I just leave them off my school list.

OP, I do not generally recommend applying to schools that haven't graduated a class yet. Students with an MCAT below 500 tend to try for newer schools if they do not want to try for a score increase. For questions outside this thread, referrring to the school's name would be good since Baptist and Burrell seem like they would have the same abbreviation and fewer people know that there is a new Baptist University school.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't recommend a brand new school

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received secondary from this school? Although new, it seems like a good program.

I spoke with someone in their ultrasound program and was told they're definitely diverting resources away from other programs to support this DO school which is a good sign. Baptist is also a really extensive and nice healthcare system so it definitely has all the pieces to be a great med school.

I still won't be applying through. Not sure if y'all noticed but the menu for the website still lists some of the pages as "test" and their tuition and aid page doesn't even have any info on it. They also aren't done building the facilities yet. A really weird reply to an email I sent definitely reinforced that they don't seem to care enough about the details and won't fully ready for their first class. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like with brand new programs like this it's definitely worth reaching out just to get a feel for it.

Best of luck to those who have better tolerance for risk than me, I really hope it works out for y'all. Memphis could really use more doctors dedicated to addressing the awful systemic issues there.

Just got an email with timeline. Looks like supplemental will start going out end of July!

Received the update email as well.. TN resident really hoping to stay in-state with my kids. I see in their info booklet they state a 504 MCAT is competitive so I'm a bit nervous with my 498 but that's going to be the case for me everywhere.. Hoping my great GPA, activities and first career in leadership will pull me through! Good luck everyone :)

Received the update email as well.. TN resident really hoping to stay in-state with my kids. I see in their info booklet they state a 504 MCAT is competitive so I'm a bit nervous with my 498 but that's going to be the case for me everywhere.. Hoping my great GPA, activities and first career in leadership will pull me through! Good luck everyone :)
You're not alone! 499 and hoping that they have a more holistic application view. You've got this and will be an amazing doctor!

Does anyone know if they will offer federal loans for their first year class?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see they require biochem WITH lab. I feel that's one of the only schools I've seen require that... I didn't take a biochem lab course. Did y'all take biochem lab? Do I just not apply or do I put just my biochem lecture course as a prerequisite on AACOMAS?

I see they require biochem WITH lab. I feel that's one of the only schools I've seen require that... I didn't take a biochem lab course. Did y'all take biochem lab? Do I just not apply or do I put just my biochem lecture course as a prerequisite on AACOMAS?

I reached out to them because I’m missing the lab too. They told me to go ahead and apply and based on how the cycle went for me there we could discuss the lab requirement/figure out a way to get it done if offered an acceptance. Haven’t heard anything secondary wise from them though

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else not heard anything yet? I thought they said we'd know if we got secondaries by late July

My guess is that the secondaries are going in waves? I haven't received one yet, though I also understand that they do screen.

IS secondary received 7/30! Low 50X mcat

Congrats y'all! I'm actually really excited about this school. Feel free to DM me once you pick your interview dates, would be cool to chat beforehand.

Does anyone know if this school is welcoming to non Christians?

Does anyone know if this school is welcoming to non Christians?
their technical standards say they don't discriminate based on religion and for government funding they cant, but they do have Christian values so smth to think about

Submitted secondary today. Those of you with II’s, how fast was the turn around for you guys?

IS II received!!! secondary submitted this week

Any early thoughts on this school? It seems nice and well put together and is affiliated with a big system/in-house residency programs.

did anybody else not receive a secondary for this school? jw!

did anybody else not receive a secondary for this school? jw!
I did not. I think it was because I didn't have MCAT uploaded. i called admissions last week and they said they're still reviewing applications.