2023-2024 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email to create my DMU account yesterday. Still waiting for them to mark the initial review of application items as complete.

If we submit the primary with X number of schools and add DMU after our primary is submitted, can we still fill out the "secondary" questions that are embedded in the primary? Or are we unable to add DMU after primary submission?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email today that my application is complete and has been forwarded to the Admission Committee!

If we submit the primary with X number of schools and add DMU after our primary is submitted, can we still fill out the "secondary" questions that are embedded in the primary? Or are we unable to add DMU after primary submission?
Yep shouldn’t matter when you submit. You’re essentially just completing more primaries it doesn’t lock you out of anything.

Hi all, just finished first year at DMU. Happy to answer any questions as you all are applying. Best of luck!

So once we finish the essay in the primary, that's like a secondary question, is there nothing else to do until the admission committee reviews it? Do we know when they send out interview invites? DMU is my #1 pick

Reactions: 2 users
So once we finish the essay in the primary, that's like a secondary question, is there nothing else to do until the admission committee reviews it? Do we know when they send out interview invites? DMU is my #1 pick
Mid/end July, early August for interview invites. If you’ve submitted your primary, nothing left to do now than sit tight. Best of luck!

On the DMU portal, under the "Supplemental Items & Documents" link, it asks for 3 letters of recommendation to be submitted. If we use a committee letter that contains the letters of recommendation within the package, are we fine? Or should I ask my pre-health advisor to post the individual recommendations individually?

On the DMU portal, under the "Supplemental Items & Documents" link, it asks for 3 letters of recommendation to be submitted. If we use a committee letter that contains the letters of recommendation within the package, are we fine? Or should I ask my pre-health advisor to post the individual recommendations individually?
Admissions responds promptly. I’d start with them before going through the extra work, but I think you’ll be fine.

anyone have a textbook list for first year?
Buying the textbooks would be a waste unless you want to read deeper for personal gain. Professors provide handouts for every lecture that are way more than enough to explain further. Don’t buy textbooks.

could you let us know what they say? I'm in the same boat!

Members don't see this ad :)
could you let us know what they say? I'm in the same boat!
For sure, I’m waiting for my pre-health board to submit the packet and if the status is still the same then I’ll reach out to them. Either way, I’ll let you know

I opened my portal it says that action is required but when I open the supplemental page it doesn't ask for anything. Does anyone have the same issue?

I opened my portal it says that action is required but when I open the supplemental page it doesn't ask for anything. Does anyone have the same issue?
Same. i assume its an issue with committee packets if you have one submitted.

Oh nvm. It states they're reviewing anything you could be missing and then will update it when the review is complete. So nothing to do on our end yet.
You had me worried lol thanks. I'm surprised because the other schools have us fork up more money before they review anything else haha.

I didn't last year and still got accepted! It's optional though I guess it can only be beneficial
I’m running on fumes from all these costs and think I’ll try my chances without it haah. Thanks for the information!

Did anyone else receive the secondary app fee link?

No, kinda surprised tho as I was kinda expecting to shell out even more money

There is no secondary. Your questions were embedded in the primary.

Last edited:
Is it alright to talk about how I saw the osteopathic approach to medicine (i.e holistic, patient-centered, less medication, etc.) confirmed in a doctor I shadowed even if that doc was M.D.?

So once we get an email to set up a DMU account and our app is verified. Do we do anything else or just cross our fingers for an interview invite? I feel like I’m missing something lol

So once we get an email to set up a DMU account and our app is verified. Do we do anything else or just cross our fingers for an interview invite? I feel like I’m missing something lol
Sit back, wait and try to relax 👍🏻

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email that my application is going to review. Does DMU notify you of an R or should I just assume silence = R?

Got an email that my application is going to review. Does DMU notify you of an R or should I just assume silence = R?
This early in the cycle, don’t assume the worst. If you’re going to review, then you’re in a good spot. Sit back and relax. Hope that II comes your way soon 🤟🏻

This early in the cycle, don’t assume the worst. If you’re going to review, then you’re in a good spot. Sit back and relax. Hope that II comes your way soon

Thanks for the reassurance. Hoping for the best!!

This early in the cycle, don’t assume the worst. If you’re going to review, then you’re in a good spot. Sit back and relax. Hope that II comes your way soon 🤟🏻
As far as I know, no one has received an II - I've been in review for probably 4-5 weeks

As far as I know, no one has received an II - I've been in review for probably 4-5 weeks
The year I applied, they sent out the first round the first week in August.

They’re trying to finalize the class of 2027 currently, just sit tight!

Hello, does anyone who took AAMC SJT (now called PREview) know if we are supposed to re-take it each cycle or if our scores are valid indefinitely?

Hello, does anyone who took AAMC SJT (now called PREview) know if we are supposed to re-take it each cycle or if our scores are valid indefinitely?
You would need to contact the admissions team, but the PREview test was designed so that the scores can be valid for roughly 3 application cycles, just like the MCAT. Join us at the Casper/SJT forum.

Still listed as "Not Received" for my initial review. Anyone else in the same boat?