2023-2024 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 OHSU Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1550 characters)

Tell us about a time you went into a situation completely unprepared. (1550 characters)

Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience and ability to overcome adversity. (1550 characters)

In 1990, Salovey and Mayer defined emotional intelligence (EI) as “the subset of social intelligence that involves the ability to monitor one’s own and others’ feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one’s thinking and actions”. The components of EI include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills. Briefly describe one example of a time you harnessed your EI to resolve a difficult situation, AND one example of a time your failure to use your EI compounded a difficult situation. What did you learn about yourself in each of these situations? (1550 characters)

Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1550 characters)

Please discuss the roles Dignity, Respect and Deference play in how medical teams optimize patient care.
(changed from last year) (1550 characters)

Optional:
Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If yes, use the space below. If no, leave blank. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage.(1550 characters)

We know that many of our applicants in the OHSU UME Program may have familial relationships with individuals who are OHSU faculty, residents, staff, or current students who serve as evaluators in our admissions process. We have added this question in hopes to prevent perceived or actual conflicts of interest that can occur when an applicant has a family member (or someone with a similar close personal relationship) they may encounter through the admissions process. If you have any such connections, please list those individuals’ names and departments below. If no, leave blank. (2050 characters)

Supplemental Information section with additional prompts:
Based on your own experiences or the experiences of family and friends, do you believe that the area in which you grew up was adequately served by the available health care professionals? Were there enough physicians, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and other health care service providers and how did that affect your experience and relationship with health care? Please explain. (4000 characters)

["While you were growing up, did you experience any of the following types of adversity?" with options to select the severity of the following adversities: economic, educational, ethnic/cultural, family] Please describe the nature of the adversity and how social, economic, academic, or other circumstances affected you and your opportunities. (4000 characters)

We acknowledge that our application is not fully comprehensive. If there is anything additional you would like to let us know about you, please briefly state it here.
(550 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Oregon Health & Sciences University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did anyone apply to OHSU... lol...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i threw in an application but i didn't realize how heavily they favor IS students (i'm OOS with no ties), so i'm debating whether it's worth it for me to even submit a secondary if i receive one.

I also threw in an application URM and grew up in rural california so maybe thats gotta count for something

Do we know if they accept students from bordering states? I'm from Washington and went ahead and applied.

I don’t think they give preference to bordering states or oos unless you
1) fall within one of their mission groups
2) or if you are from certain wiche state like Montana where they don’t have a medical school

Has anyone received anything yet?

Still haven't finished my primary application. Is July 31st too late to submit primary for OHSU? IS applicant btw

Their website says "mid-July" for secondaries, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're just starting to send them out today.

Edit: Plus, the MSAR says they send out secondaries to all verified applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't finished my primary application. Is July 31st too late to submit primary for OHSU? IS applicant btw
I don't think so since they make a bulk of their decisions in late March. I haven't finished my primary either lol

+1IS (MSTP applicant) received

IS received but the secondary application seems bugged? Is there a browser I am suppose to use…
I don't think it is you. I tried it on Chrome and Edge, both produced a totally broken website applicaiton page.

IS recieved 7/21! Prompts seem largely unchanged from last year.

All character counts for questions 1 - 8 are 1550, with the exception of question 4 at 2050:
What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?

2. Tell us about a time you went into a situation completely unprepared.

3. Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience and ability to overcome adversity.

4. In 1990, Salovey and Mayer defined emotional intelligence (EI) as “the subset of social intelligence that involves the ability to monitor one’s own and others’ feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one’s thinking and actions”. The components of EI include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills. Briefly describe one example of a time you harnessed your EI to resolve a difficult situation, AND one example of a time your failure to use your EI compounded a difficult situation. What did you learn about yourself in each of these situations?

5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?

6. Please discuss the roles Dignity, Respect and Deference play in how medical teams optimize patient care. (changed from last year)

Optional:
7. Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If yes, use the space below. If no, leave blank. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage.

8. We know that many of our applicants in the OHSU UME Program may have familial relationships with individuals who are OHSU faculty, residents, staff, or current students who serve as evaluators in our admissions process. We have added this question in hopes to prevent perceived or actual conflicts of interest that can occur when an applicant has a family member (or someone with a similar close personal relationship) they may encounter through the admissions process. If you have any such connections, please list those individuals’ names and departments below. If no, leave blank.

5. Based on your own experiences or the experiences of family and friends, do you believe that the area in which you grew up was adequately served by the available health care professionals? Were there enough physicians, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and other health care service providers and how did that affect your experience and relationship with health care? Please explain. (4000 characters)

["While you were growing up, did you experience any of the following types of adversity?" with options to select the severity of the following adversities: economic, educational, ethnic/cultural, family] Please describe the nature of the adversity and how social, economic, academic, or other circumstances affected you and your opportunities. (4000 characters)

We acknowledge that our application is not fully comprehensive. If there is anything additional you would like to let us know about you, please briefly state it here. (550 characters)

@wysdoc

Reactions: 5 users
IS recieved 7/21! Prompts seem largely unchanged from last year.

All character counts for questions 1 - 8 are 1550, with the exception of question 4 at 2050:
What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?

2. Tell us about a time you went into a situation completely unprepared.

3. Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience and ability to overcome adversity.

4. In 1990, Salovey and Mayer defined emotional intelligence (EI) as “the subset of social intelligence that involves the ability to monitor one’s own and others’ feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one’s thinking and actions”. The components of EI include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills. Briefly describe one example of a time you harnessed your EI to resolve a difficult situation, AND one example of a time your failure to use your EI compounded a difficult situation. What did you learn about yourself in each of these situations?

5. Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?

6. Please discuss the roles Dignity, Respect and Deference play in how medical teams optimize patient care. (changed from last year)

Optional:
7. Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If yes, use the space below. If no, leave blank. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage.

8. We know that many of our applicants in the OHSU UME Program may have familial relationships with individuals who are OHSU faculty, residents, staff, or current students who serve as evaluators in our admissions process. We have added this question in hopes to prevent perceived or actual conflicts of interest that can occur when an applicant has a family member (or someone with a similar close personal relationship) they may encounter through the admissions process. If you have any such connections, please list those individuals’ names and departments below. If no, leave blank.

5. Based on your own experiences or the experiences of family and friends, do you believe that the area in which you grew up was adequately served by the available health care professionals? Were there enough physicians, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and other health care service providers and how did that affect your experience and relationship with health care? Please explain. (4000 characters)

We acknowledge that our application is not fully comprehensive. If there is anything additional you would like to let us know about you, please briefly state it here. (550 characters)

@wysdoc
are the mph prompts the same?

hi! I'm an Oregon resident and I haven't received the OHSU secondary yet (applied MD only). It's definitely my top choice, so I'm a bit worried...is there a chance they would ever screen me out?

hi! I'm an Oregon resident and I haven't received the OHSU secondary yet (applied MD only). It's definitely my top choice, so I'm a bit worried...is there a chance they would ever screen me out?
I'm in the same boat too. Oregon resident and still haven't received my secondary. I submitted my primary on 06/07 and have received secondaries from 20 other schools. Did my secondary just get moved into the next batch of secondaries?

I actually just received my secondary a few minutes ago. Hopefully you will receive yours shortly too! Wish you the best Oregon buddy!

I highly doubt it, they say on their website they don't screen! They're probably sending out secondaries in waves

are the mph prompts the same?
Yes!

MPH (4000 characters):
The School of Medicine requires a statement of purpose for admission to the MD-MPH Combined Degree Program. The MD-MPH Combined Degree program offers two MPH concentrations, 1) Epidemiology and 2) Health Management and Policy.

Please explain:

1) Why you are applying for the combined MD-MPH Degree Program at OHSU?

2) Your interest in EITHER the Epidemiology or the Health Management and Policy concentration; and,

3) How you plan to use your training in medicine and public health training in your career.

Please submit your statement using the text area provided below. This cannot exceed the 4000 character limit. No particular formatting or spacing is required.

Is it 20 activities original from AMCAS or just whichever?

can anyone give their thoughts on whether it’s worth it to complete the secondary as an OOS applicant w/o any ties to the state?

Reactions: 1 users
can anyone give their thoughts on whether it’s worth it to complete the secondary as an OOS applicant w/o any ties to the state?
This is what they say they give preference to on their website:

Oregon residents.

Nonresidents with Oregon Heritage.

Nonresidents with outstanding achievements in academics and significant experiences in health care, leadership, extracurricular activities and/or community service.

Applicants with a demonstrated ability to overcome adversity and/or applicants who have personally experienced inequities within the healthcare system.

Students applying to OHSU’s dual degree programs such as the MD/PhD and MD/MPH

Applicants who are WICHE-certified in allopathic medicine

If you fall into one of the categories for OOS, then shoot your shot. I'll be rooting for ya!

Do y'all think it's appropriate to talk about why I want to train in Oregon specifically with this question? It's largely because of the protections for abortion / my career goals in complex family planning and the research opportunities they have.

"Optional: Are there any additional ties to the state of Oregon you wish to share? If yes, use the space below. If no, leave blank. Please note that this does not factor toward your consideration as an Oregon resident or Oregon Heritage."

How are you folks managing the 20 activities section? Are you essentially just putting down your AMCAS activities?

How are you folks managing the 20 activities section? Are you essentially just putting down your AMCAS activities?
Pretty much, as long as it was recent. It does give school as an example, so maybe include that too? Not sure what to put for hours on that one.

@optimus_prime_ Thank you for posting the essay prompts.

I have 2 questions:
1. Could you tell me about those "Supplemental Information section" questions? I see you numbered them 5, 7, and 8.
2. What are people referring to "20 activities"?

It seems like they don't require CASPER this cycle.

For the activities section, is it ok to include activities that we've started since submitting the primary? I just graduated from college last month, so I was still finalizing my gap year plans when I sent in my primary.