2023-2024 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UNTHSC/TCOM Secondary Essay Prompts: **This school uses the TMDSAS application**
(change in the Optional essay prompt from last year)
There are also some yes/no type questions on the portal to reply to.

OSTEOPATHIC KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCES, AND/OR RELATIONSHIPS
Please address each topic in a separate paragraph:

1) What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (2,000 character limit including spaces)

ACADEMIC HISTORY
A. If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. Community colleges are not needed. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

B.
If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.(1,000 character limit including spaces)

ADDITIONAL EVALUATIONS (Optional)
An additional evaluation letter may be submitted directly to UNTHSC Office of Admissions by the evaluator. A letter from an osteopathic physician is highly recommended. Please indicate the name of the evaluator and whether or not they are a D.O.

SUPPLEMENTAL DATA
-Did you live in a single parent household?
If yes, number of years/months:
Number of Years:
Number of Months:

-Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged?
If yes, please explain. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

-Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?
If yes, please explain. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

OPTIONAL ESSAY
One of the values of the University of North Texas System is Courageous Integrity which means one should model exceptional standards and act in the best interest of our community. These behaviors include:
- Build trust through consistent actions that are honest, transparent, and authentic
- Provide, accept, and support open and constructive feedback
- Hold yourself and others accountable for decisions, behaviors, actions, and results
Please select a specific instance where you have demonstrated Courageous Integrity and describe how this is indicative of your character (2,000 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the acceptance rate for those who apply EDP to UNT-HSC TCOM?

Hiya - I am recent TCOM graduate and have also previously served on the interview team. Happy to answer questions :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hiya - I am recent TCOM graduate and have also previously served on the interview team. Happy to answer questions :)
Mind if I ask about how is UNT HSC's acceptance rate for the ED Program? Who is it for? How would an OOS student fare in UNT's EDP application?

Congrats on your graduation!

Have interviews had a mix of traditional and MMI components or just MMI?

Congrats on your graduation!

Have interviews had a mix of traditional and MMI components or just MMI?

Interviews have been a mixture of MMI and traditional even from the time I was an interviewee.

You should be prepared both for traditional questions with a scenario spin and standard MMI-esque scenario-based questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews have been a mixture of MMI and traditional even from the time I was an interviewee.

You should be prepared both for traditional questions with a scenario spin and standard MMI-esque scenario-based questions.
That’s awesome! I was hoping it would offer a nice mixture, to be the best of both worlds :)

Thanks for sharing!

Would it be okay to talk about things that specifically interested me about TCOM AND osteopathic medicine in the secondary question "What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine?" then dive more into the direct relationships I've had with D.O. physicians? Or should I keep it broader towards osteopathic medicine in general, rather than TCOM?

Thanks!

Would it be okay to talk about things that specifically interested me about TCOM AND osteopathic medicine in the secondary question "What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine?" then dive more into the direct relationships I've had with D.O. physicians? Or should I keep it broader towards osteopathic medicine in general, rather than TCOM?

Thanks!
Your secondary essays are only seen by the specific school you are writing them for, so feel free to include things that you would enjoy participating in at TCOM. Be sure to answer the "why DO" part too.

Your secondary essays are only seen by the specific school you are writing them for, so feel free to include things that you would enjoy participating in at TCOM. Be sure to answer the "why DO" part too.
As @wysdoc says all secondary essays MUST BE tailored to the school and their mission statement. If you are not ensuring that, you might as well be saying I want to attend UTSW for the above reasons in your essay and send it to TCOM.

Heads up, the "optional" secondary prompt seems to have changed slightly from last year (the rest are identical)

One of the values of the University of North Texas System is Courageous Integrity which means one should model exceptional standards and act in the best interest of our community. These behaviors include:

- Build trust through consistent actions that are honest, transparent, and authentic

- Provide, accept, and support open and constructive feedback

- Hold yourself and others accountable for decisions, behaviors, actions, and results

Please select a specific instance where you have demonstrated Courageous Integrity and describe how this is indicative of your character (2,000 character limit)

I have worked with DO's at my scribe job, but I don't have a letter of recommendation from a DO, nor have I shadowed any. Would you recommend looking for DO shadowing opportunities with a possible DO letter of recommendation to check the "optional" box? I am submitting a committee packet with 2 MD recs, a committee letter, 1 PI letter, and 2 professor letters (6 total already). Is the DO letter critical? (I am assuming yes).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked with DO's at my scribe job, but I don't have a letter of recommendation from a DO, nor have I shadowed any. Would you recommend looking for DO shadowing opportunities with a possible DO letter of recommendation to fulfill the requirement? I am submitting a committee packet with 2 MD recs, but no DO letters. Is the DO letter critical?
Its a must if you are applying to DO schools from DO school website but it may not be for this school from TMDSAS.

I have worked with DO's at my scribe job, but I don't have a letter of recommendation from a DO, nor have I shadowed any. Would you recommend looking for DO shadowing opportunities with a possible DO letter of recommendation to check the "optional" box? I am submitting a committee packet with 2 MD recs, a committee letter, 1 PI letter, and 2 professor letters (6 total already). Is the DO letter critical? (I am assuming yes).
DO letters of recommendation are not required and they probably have a minimal impact on your application.

I did not have a DO letter and a probable majority of my friends also did not have one. I didn't even have a letter from an MD for that matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Are we supposed to receive a link for the secondary application or is available for access already? If so, I'm not sure how to navigate the portal to set up an account.

If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.

If there’s been no change in my primary is it fine to just leave this blank? I’ve heard different things, from it being a red flag to “not have anything else” to being totally fine to leaving it empty.

Are we supposed to receive a link for the secondary application or is available for access already? If so, I'm not sure how to navigate the portal to set up an account.
It’s available on their website!

If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.

If there’s been no change in my primary is it fine to just leave this blank? I’ve heard different things, from it being a red flag to “not have anything else” to being totally fine to leaving it empty.
This one you can safely leave blank. It is meant more for those who may be submitting the secondary months after turning in their primary application and have had some changes.

I agree with @wysdoc.

If no changes, write “none applicable” or leave blank.

The real red flag is filling it with fluff and making someone read a diarrhea pile of useless information and word filler.

I agree with @wysdoc.

If no changes, write “none applicable” or leave blank.

The real red flag is filling it with fluff and making someone read a diarrhea pile of useless information and word filler.

Would it be appropriate to quickly explain a trend in grades? I started undergrad with lots of F’s and W’s 10 years ago. I have maintained a 3.85 over 100 credits in the last 4 years and I was hoping TCOM would provide me a space to discuss it and wondering if I could take advantage of that here.

I really appreciate y’all’s insight!!

I think explaining an upwards trend is much less necessary than explaining a downwards trend. It is fairly self-explanatory that whatever problems you had are no longer a problem to your academic success.

I personally would not bother, but I would say this is probably your own discretion.

Have you all gotten the email for the portal yet? I filled out the secondary application and submitted it, but can't find an email from UNTHSC for the portal.
Also, did you all pay the $50 fee or are you going to wait until you can access the portal?

After submitting my secondary, I got an email saying the following:
"Please note you will not have a portal page login until we have received your application from TMDSAS; we will send an email with your login information once we have processed your application. If you have previously received a portal page login from the UNT Health Science Center your portal page EUID will remain the same."

Have you all gotten the email for the portal yet? I filled out the secondary application and submitted it, but can't find an email from UNTHSC for the portal.
Also, did you all pay the $50 fee or are you going to wait until you can access the portal?

"Please note you will not have a portal page login until we have received your application from TMDSAS; we will send an email with your login information once we have processed your application. If you have previously received a portal page login from the UNT Health Science Center your portal page EUID will remain the same."

I paid the $50 fee because it says that it’s required for processing. But it has been about a week since then and I have not received anything about a portal login. But I would pay the fee because I believe they need that to process your application.

Where are you guys finding the secondary application? TMDSAS hasn't transmitted my application yet, but it seems like theres a portal I can already access?

Sounds like you jumped the starting line by submitting your secondary before they even received your primary app.

For the rest of y'all: you can pre-write TMDSAS secondaries, but wait to submit them until the school invites you: there will then be a place for them to file the secondary with the rest of your application materials and you won't have to go through the steps of wondering, asking, or re-sending.

Sounds like you jumped the starting line by submitting your secondary before they even received your primary app.

For the rest of y'all: you can pre-write TMDSAS secondaries, but wait to submit them until the school invites you: there will then be a place for them to file the secondary with the rest of your application materials and you won't have to go through the steps of wondering, asking, or re-sending.
Damn. I wish I knew this yesterday. I guess that's just showbiz.

I am applying to DO schools in addition to MD schools. Do DO schools look for shawdowing experience with DO physicians only? I do have shadowing experience with MD. Please, can anyone help me?

Oh, I submitted the secondary as well before receiving the portal stuff. Thanks for the info!

I also did this and already paid . Do you think they'd ask me to pay again?

I also did this and already paid . Do you think they'd ask me to pay again?
No, @lkak and @Rite1234 they won't ask you to pay again.
It is just less confusing when the school has already set up a placeholder for your supporting documents. They will do this soon after receiving your primary app.

I am applying to DO schools in addition to MD schools. Do DO schools look for shawdowing experience with DO physicians only? I do have shadowing experience with MD. Please, can anyone help me?
Does not matter. It will be viewed with near parity.

Texas TMDSAS DO schools do not require specific DO shadowing. If you are using AOMCAS app, they will.

I just received the official secondary invite from UNT. Transmitted on May 22nd, and I now have access to the portal. Good luck to everyone!

I just received the official secondary invite from UNT. Transmitted on May 22nd, and I now have access to the portal. Good luck to everyone!
Did they provide you a unique login or did they just send you a link to create an account? I transmitted a few days ago and made an account through their website and was planning to submit.

Should I wait for the official email to avoid double submissions?

Did they provide you a unique login or did they just send you a link to create an account? I transmitted a few days ago and made an account through their website and was planning to submit.

Should I wait for the official email to avoid double submissions?
If your primary has been transmitted to schools you can send it

Hiya, a little late here but current student. I didn't have any DO shadowing or LORs, but I worked extensively with DOs in the ED; my committee packet looked nearly identical to yours. As long as you can speak well as to why DO, I don't think not having a DO letter makes a huge impact. I don't think it affected my app that significantly, but it's also n = 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Hiya, a little late here but current student. I didn't have any DO shadowing or LORs, but I worked extensively with DOs in the ED; my committee packet looked nearly identical to yours. As long as you can speak well as to why DO, I don't think not having a DO letter makes a huge impact. I don't think it affected my app that significantly, but it's also n = 1.
Thank you so much! I worked extensively with DO and DO residents from TCOM/JPS in the ED, so I think we are similar :)

Did anyone else receive an "action required" email from TCOM? I'm still waiting for my HPAC to submit my committee packet and the email from TCOM asked me to submit my letters. Did anyone else receive that? I didn't get an email like this last cycle.

Did anyone receive an email reminder saying to pay after already paying? Their portal is a little confusing to use so I'm second-guessing if I actually did (although I have an email saying my payment was processed)

I submitted my ll for this school and paid the fee. Got my portal account set up and even received an email that everything was received and is being reviewed, however, I can’t find my application in the system. Anyone else having this problem?

I submitted my ll for this school and paid the fee. Got my portal account set up and even received an email that everything was received and is being reviewed, however, I can’t find my application in the system. Anyone else having this problem?
You can't keep opening it up and looking at it after you submit the secondary.
If it says you are complete, be pleased with that news. :)

I recommend that applicants keep copies of their secondary essays on their computer for their own reference.
There are so many of them the contents begin to blur after a while.
If you are invited to interview, pull up your secondary essays for that school and refresh your memory on what you wrote, before your interview day!

Hi! Sorry if this is a dumb question: the fourth letter I submitted through TMDSAS is a DO letter. For the page that asks to fill out the optional additional letter information, is that referring to this fourth one (so I fill the information out and that's it), or is it referring to an additional one beyond the four I already sent (in which case I leave it blank since I'm sticking with my four)?

Thank you!

Hi! Sorry if this is a dumb question: the fourth letter I submitted through TMDSAS is a DO letter. For the page that asks to fill out the optional additional letter information, is that referring to this fourth one (so I fill the information out and that's it), or is it referring to an additional one beyond the four I already sent (in which case I leave it blank since I'm sticking with my four)?

Thank you!
if you already submitted a DO letter with your TMDSAS application, you don't need to resubmit it.
The instructions listed in the top post of this thread are meant for someone who maybe didn't have a DO letter already.

Any early decision folks hear news from TCOM? They seem uncharacteristically radio silent this cycle.

Any early decision folks hear news from TCOM? They seem uncharacteristically radio silent this cycle.
Early Decision interview invitations will probably not go out until past the deadline for ED submission (August 1 is the deadline for primary AND secondary materials to TCOM)
Early Decision admissions offers do not have to be announced until October 1, and in past years TCOM has given the news in mid September.

Early Decision applicants MAY NOT apply to any other TMDSAS schools until they hear a decision on their ED application.

All y'all, remember this is a year-long application cycle and please limit the kinds of posts that are just "anybody hear anything yet?"
or "Why are they taking so long?"

is a 504-505 mcat okay for here? Have people been accepted with that before?