2023-2024 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 WVSOM secondary essay prompts:

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician? (500 characters)
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools? (500 characters)
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded. (500 characters)
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school? (500 characters)
5. Provide a brief comment about your study habits. (500 characters)
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others. (500 characters)
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas? (500 characters)
8. Briefly comment on how your volunteer experience benefited you. (500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 secondary. No secondary fee unless you’re interviewed?! Love this

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks. Just graduated from WVSOM and started residency. Any questions or anything feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 2 users
500 characters for these questions is a real struggle lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hey folks. Just graduated from WVSOM and started residency. Any questions or anything feel free to reach out.

Congrats on graduation and being headed to residency! Thanks for being willing to take questions.
- What resources do they provide for board studying?
- How are clinical rotations assigned?
- What are the classes for OMM like there?

Is anyone having trouble submitting their secondaries to the portal? For me it is not working and saying it is not saved.

How did you like living in Lewisburg?
It was different than anything I'd ever experienced before. I'd always lived in big cities so it was a bit of culture shock to be over an hour away from anything I'd consider a city. It's beautiful there though. Plenty to do if you like the outdoors as well. Medical school there was good because you weren't distracted by being around a million things around you but there are a couple things around so you don't go crazy in your off time. I didn't dislike it, it was great for what it was, but I won't ever move back at the same time. Just a bit small for my liking.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on graduation and being headed to residency! Thanks for being willing to take questions.
- What resources do they provide for board studying?
- How are clinical rotations assigned?
- What are the classes for OMM like there?
1. I can't fully answer this for Level 1 as I'm not sure right now. For us, they only provided Kaplan which was beyond awful so most people just sucked it up and bought their own materials. There is a new pre-clinical dean on campus who has started to change this though although I'm not sure exactly with what because it's past my time, but I believe they are trying to get UWorld for everyone. For Level 2, they reimbursed us up to $500 on our materials we bought which was great.

2. It's basically a draft system. You rank all the spots 1 through however many there are in the order you'd prefer them. Say location A has 8 spots. If 8 people choose location A as their first choice, they all get it. If 9 do, it's a lottery to decide which 8 get it, and then the odd one out will slide down to their next option. So you do have a say in general unless a million people want 1 location. In our class, I'd say 95% of students got their number 1 choice.

3. I was a COVID class so I'm not sure if it's changed at all since all that, but for us it was a 2 hour lab once a week. You have a table trainer which is a faculty member who is in charge of maybe 5 tables each so they are able to give you good individualized instruction. There was a big practical at the end of each semester with a couple smaller ones throughout and a written final at the end of second year over all of OPP. OPP topics were integrated in classwork with a lecture or 2 per course.

Reactions: 3 users
1. I can't fully answer this for Level 1 as I'm not sure right now. For us, they only provided Kaplan which was beyond awful so most people just sucked it up and bought their own materials. There is a new pre-clinical dean on campus who has started to change this though although I'm not sure exactly with what because it's past my time, but I believe they are trying to get UWorld for everyone. For Level 2, they reimbursed us up to $500 on our materials we bought which was great.

2. It's basically a draft system. You rank all the spots 1 through however many there are in the order you'd prefer them. Say location A has 8 spots. If 8 people choose location A as their first choice, they all get it. If 9 do, it's a lottery to decide which 8 get it, and then the odd one out will slide down to their next option. So you do have a say in general unless a million people want 1 location. In our class, I'd say 95% of students got their number 1 choice.

3. I was a COVID class so I'm not sure if it's changed at all since all that, but for us it was a 2 hour lab once a week. You have a table trainer which is a faculty member who is in charge of maybe 5 tables each so they are able to give you good individualized instruction. There was a big practical at the end of each semester with a couple smaller ones throughout and a written final at the end of second year over all of OPP. OPP topics were integrated in classwork with a lecture or 2 per course.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you had trouble submitting secondary. It is saying my responses not saved.

I didn’t have any trouble. I missed the yes/no question at the end there and once I selected yes there the submit button popped up

I didn’t have any trouble. I missed the yes/no question at the end there and once I selected yes there the submit button popped up
After you submitted what happened? It takes me to a tab saying that your response was not saved

Attachments

• WVSOM Application.jpg
    WVSOM Application.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 140
After you submitted what happened? It takes me to a tab saying that your response was not saved

Huh, no, I didn’t get that. It just took me to a new screen and I started step 2. I got an email confirming each step was submitted as well.

Huh, no, I didn’t get that. It just took me to a new screen and I started step 2. I got an email confirming each step was submitted as well.
Did you type your responses on there or did you copy and paste like I did from my prewrite doc to the secondary application?

Anyone know when WVSOM usually starts sending II’s?
On last year's thread, it looks like the first week of August is when IIs started going out (at least the first one reported on SDN). So maybe around that time!🙂

Hi can someone please post the secondary prompts along with word/character limits please?

Hi can someone please post the secondary prompts along with word/character limits please?
Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician? (500 characters)
What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools? (500 characters)
Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded. (500 characters)
What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school? (500 characters)
Provide a brief comment about your study habits. (500 characters)
Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others. (500 characters)
What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas? (500 characters)
Briefly comment on how your volunteer experience benefited you. (500 characters)

Applicants who are receiving interviews, can we got some stats please!

Hi there! Congrats on being done and on to residency!

A question:

Do you know what the post II acceptance rate typically is?

Hi there! Congrats on being done and on to residency!

A question:

Do you know what the post II acceptance rate typically is?
Not sure about now. I do recall when I was interviewing it was pretty high. Like around 70% I want to say

First year who just got done with the first day of lectures Feel free to drop any questions and I will try my best to answer them from the perspective of someone who was in y’all’s shoes not too long ago.

First year who just got done with the first day of lectures Feel free to drop any questions and I will try my best to answer them from the perspective of someone who was in y’all’s shoes not too long ago.
what were your stats, also how are you enjoying it soo far?

Congratulations to those of you who have received II’s!! Can you guys share gpa and mcat?

ll this morning, secondary submitted 7/2-501 and 3.4, OOS

Do II's usually go by submission date? I submitted 6/24 and haven't heard anything since, does this mean they passed on my app for now or am I just being neurotic?

Do II's usually go by submission date? I submitted 6/24 and haven't heard anything since, does this mean they passed on my app for now or am I just being neurotic?

Not necessarily. You could have submitted day 1 but be offered a II in April. Your app may not have been looked at yet or you are in the grey area. Admissions would want to see what the rest of the applicant pool is like.

It could also be that it is just early. August is when IIs usually start to get sent out

Has anyone else received IIs since Tuesday? They keep sending me emails about all the things they offer and trying to sell the school. Ik WV is a good school your my top freakin choice just give me an II!!!

Reactions: 4 users