2023-2024 Western Michigan (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Secondary Essay Prompts:
All applicants should also read
their website to see the extra steps at this school: website
Namely an online assessment of 50 multiple choice questions and later a possible phone interview

1. Please explain both of the following:
1) The specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to WMed and
2) how you will utilize the unique features of WMed's mission, vision, and curriculum to achieve your career goals. (2000 characters)

2. Describe how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession and what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences. (2000 characters)

3. WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes. (2000 characters)

4. Optional: Please explain any connection you have to Southwest Michigan. (2000 characters)

5. Optional: Is there any additional information not included elsewhere in your application you would like the admissions committee to know?
(2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc Their new secondary prompts have been posted on their website (under Step 2: Supplemental Application)
  1. Please explain both of the following: 1) The specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to WMed and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of WMed's mission, vision, and curriculum to achieve your career goals.
  2. Describe how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession and what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences.
  3. WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.
  4. Optional: Please explain any connection you have to Southwest Michigan.
  5. Optional: Is there any additional information not included elsewhere in your application you would like the admissions committee to know?
Each question has a 2,000 character limit.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the first question more about why this school or why medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is our second time applying in general but first time applying to WMed, would we still answer the re-applicant question?

If this is our second time applying in general but first time applying to WMed, would we still answer the re-applicant question?
Based on the definition (AMCAS), if you did not apply for WMed last year, you will not be the reapplicant.

By the way, have you received the secondary?

Can anyone else not get through to the supplemental application?
The link "click here" in their secondary email doesn't prompt me to make a password:

EDIT: Found a solution, you need to add /create to the end of the URL they sent, the original URL in their secondary application email doesn't work:

1689112407216.png

Last edited:
I just realized they only allow 4 max LORS and accidentally submitted 5 - is there a way to assign which letters I want them to read or should I email them directly about this?

I just realized they only allow 4 max LORS and accidentally submitted 5 - is there a way to assign which letters I want them to read or should I email them directly about this?
They will just read 4 randomly and notice that you sent too many

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received "complete" email today after receiving/taking assessment on 7/13

Got the under consideration for phone interview!

If I have ties to Ann Arbor (Southeast Michigan) but not Southwest Michigan, would it still be worth mentioning in question 4? I am OOS

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary invite?

Can someone explain how the Western Michigan assessment works? Is it similar to Casper with videos and writing? Or is it just yes or no questions?

Can someone explain how the Western Michigan assessment works? Is it similar to Casper with videos and writing? Or is it just yes or no questions?

From their website:
The online assessment is unique to WMed. We use this assessment to give us more information about your personal attributes. It includes approximately 50 multiple choice questions and you have 30 seconds to respond to each question. The questions are straight-forward and no preparation is needed or recommended. Your supplemental application is not considered complete until both the essays and online assessment are submitted.

Just got "under consideration for a phone interview" email ~one week after experience review email.
(OOS heavy ties)

Received the "experiences review step" email - any thoughts on if I this means I have a good chance of receiving a phone interview?

For the people who received the experience review email, how long did it take to get it after being marked complete? I was marked complete 07/19/23 and I'm still waiting for the experience review email.

For the people who received the experience review email, how long did it take to get it after being marked complete? I was marked complete 07/19/23 and I'm still waiting for the experience review email.
Completed 7/17 same day went to experience review. Under consideration for phone interview 7/21

Complete 7/28. Received experiences review email 7/31

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some insights about this school for prospective applicants. While the school offers a warm and supportive environment, it's essential to be aware of the evolving landscape of medical education, especially since the step has transitioned to pass/fail. Residency selection now places high emphasis on research and school tier. Unfortunately, this school might not provide the necessary research opportunities to match competitive specialties or top programs in non-competitive specialties. Unlike schools attached to university hospitals, where publishing and networking are more accessible, many students here face challenges in getting involved in research projects, let alone getting published.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some insights about this school for prospective applicants. While the school offers a warm and supportive environment, it's essential to be aware of the evolving landscape of medical education, especially since the step has transitioned to pass/fail. Residency selection now places high emphasis on research and school tier. Unfortunately, this school might not provide the necessary research opportunities to match competitive specialties or top programs in non-competitive specialties. Unlike schools attached to university hospitals, where publishing and networking are more accessible, many students here face challenges in getting involved in research projects, let alone getting published.

Oh wow! Anyways

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Hello everyone,

Are you a student here? Do you think the mandatory lectures and team-based learning hinders the time you have to utilize 3rd party resources to prepare for step and shelf exams?