207 on NBME- hope or dispair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first NBME test and got a 207. I take Step 1 on June 23rd and will have 5 weeks off to study from the end of my classes until then. My goal is 240, but would be happy with anything above 230.
I feel like I've studied decently up until this point (1/2 UW, 1/2 RX, 1 read through of FA, Goljan audio 1x) and was quite discouraged with my 207. For those who have a better idea than me, is my goal of 240 still realistic?

Members don't see this ad.

I havent taken the exam yet but i think you should be able to improve once you sit down to study for the step full time so i wouldnt panic yet. 207 with ~2.5months to go is not bad.

Which form did you take? I don't even know if I would even pass at this stage let alone break 200, an I'm also 2.5 months out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which form did you take? I don't even know if I would even pass at this stage let alone break 200, an I'm also 2.5 months out.

I took NBME 3. Thanks for the responses. They have calme me down and gotten me out of my "all hope is gone" mode. How many points do you think is reasonble to expect to add with 5 weeks hardcore studying? 30?

I took NBME 3. Thanks for the responses. They have calme me down and gotten me out of my "all hope is gone" mode. How many points do you think is reasonble to expect to add with 5 weeks hardcore studying? 30?
From reading through the last couple step 1 results threads it seems that 30 points is a pretty common increase from someones first nbme

yeah 207 isnt bad...

make sure to do usmleworld and write down all the explanations on your first aid...and do the wrong questions again...

UWORLD is far superior to kaplan or rx...as you may already know...

i did that, and even though i felt that i was struggling with Uworld...my score jumped from 210 on nbme to 235 after doing all uworld qns.

and p.s. if i remember correctly, NBME form 3 isnt the best...1 is too easy...4 and 6 are good predictors.

from others posts, seems like its easier to improve from a low 200s to 230-240 range than from say 230-250

I just took my first NBME test and got a 207. I take Step 1 on June 23rd and will have 5 weeks off to study from the end of my classes until then. My goal is 240, but would be happy with anything above 230.
I feel like I've studied decently up until this point (1/2 UW, 1/2 RX, 1 read through of FA, Goljan audio 1x) and was quite discouraged with my 207. For those who have a better idea than me, is my goal of 240 still realistic?

my first NBME was a 205 and I took one 6 weeks later and scored 234. you can definately raise your score but you have to actively study and not just passively go through the motions.

My baseline score without any studying was 221. After 5 weeks of studying, I got a 258 on the real thing so 240 is in reach for you.