20k job summer before med school or laziness, for real!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EBI831

legend in the making
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i have an interview on wed for a job that pays ridonkulously and gives you a beach house/company housing etc and great business experience. you can make from 20-40k in the months of summer. given the chance that this coincides with my schedule/start date for med school, should i do it? i mean i wanna learn about business and the pay would be awesome to help with the expensiveness of med school. the drawback: it requires 10 hour days 6 days a week and i'll have to be in florida away from my fam and friends for the entire summer (my last summer before i sign my life away to medicine). so i was just trying to gauge some opinions, cuz i'm really torn as to whether or not i should just scrap the interview and just go ahead and teach kaplan for 1/10th of the salary and swim all day.

Members don't see this ad.

just take the offer for fun and you'll have money to help pay for school. i mean if they offer a beach/company house in florida...just show up to work intoxicated because it's actually really hard to get fired.

show up to work with a "I don't give a F***" attitude and cash those paychecks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What job is this? I would love to find out. Please let me know. I need money DESPERATELY

By the end of this thread someone would have taken your job. BTW, could you tell us more about this job? ;)

hey, i have an interview on wed for a job that pays ridonkulously and gives you a beach house/company housing etc and great business experience. you can make from 20-40k in the months of summer. given the chance that this coincides with my schedule/start date for med school, should i do it? i mean i wanna learn about business and the pay would be awesome to help with the expensiveness of med school. the drawback: it requires 10 hour days 6 days a week and i'll have to be in florida away from my fam and friends for the entire summer (my last summer before i sign my life away to medicine). so i was just trying to gauge some opinions, cuz i'm really torn as to whether or not i should just scrap the interview and just go ahead and teach kaplan for 1/10th of the salary and swim all day.

It's not worth it.

it's in sales a company that sells security shares.

you can make from 20-40k in the months of summer.
Be very wary of jobs that have that big a salary range. It's probably all commission based, which means what you'll actually make may be anyone's guess.

since you are very general about it....

I doubt this job is going to teach you about "business" in the sense that business will be useful to you as a physician (where administration and management are the more common business skills needed).

remember if it sounds too good to be true then its probably not true. 20k for a summer? 20*4=80k/year. That'd be a huge income for someone with no business experience coming straight out of college. And you get to live near the beach?

I have a friend who does make that much money over the course of the summer. You know what he does? He works on a fishing ship off the coast of Alaska. Its much harder work, and it is much more dangerous, not to mention lonely and miserable.

Money just doesn't come that easy.

since you are very general about it....

I doubt this job is going to teach you about "business" in the sense that business will be useful to you as a physician (where administration and management are the more common business skills needed).

remember if it sounds too good to be true then its probably not true. 20k for a summer? 20*4=80k/year. That'd be a huge income for someone with no business experience coming straight out of college. And you get to live near the beach?

I have a friend who does make that much money over the course of the summer. You know what he does? He works on a fishing ship off the coast of Alaska. Its much harder work, and it is much more dangerous, not to mention lonely and miserable.

Money just doesn't come that easy.
I strongly agree with your statement Quantum Mechanic. Money is not for free and this job sounds like slave labour with the ten hour days.

Making money before med school will just hurt you anyways for financial aid when they look at your W-2s from the year before. Spend time with your family and enjoy your freedom before med school. I'm definitely cutting back hours after May and just taking it a bit easy while working.