ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Fort Polk, LA
Status
Dentist
Hi,

I am going over to the recruiter's office tomorrow in order to be commissioned.
I have asked about how my $20,000 signing-up bonus will be paid and my recruiter explained that it'll be divided into 3 payments (9k, 9k, 2k) throughout 3 years. She said i'll receive my first 9k August 2010, then second 9k August 2011, and finally last 2k August 2012 (of course tax will be deducted from them).

Is this how everyone receives their bonus? I was kind of hoping that I can get all of my bonus this year.

Also, quick question about monthly allowance. She told me that I will be receiving $1992/month. Does anyone know if gov't gives you monthly what's after tax (amount that's actually less than 1992) or do we just file our taxes later and actually receive 1992 every month? The reason why I am asking is because I am signing my lease and I need to know how much money I will have every month in order to come up with my finance and also to see if i need to take additional loans on top of HPSP.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks

Smills91

Defeat Obamunism!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2007
One
Status
Dental Student
Hi,

I am going over to the recruiter's office tomorrow in order to be commissioned.
I have asked about how my $20,000 signing-up bonus will be paid and my recruiter explained that it'll be divided into 3 payments (9k, 9k, 2k) throughout 3 years. She said i'll receive my first 9k August 2010, then second 9k August 2011, and finally last 2k August 2012 (of course tax will be deducted from them).

Is this how everyone receives their bonus? I was kind of hoping that I can get all of my bonus this year.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks
I thought it was 3 payments at the beginning of school. Maybe they changed their procedure recently? no?

Jul 31, 2009
Status
Unless dentist HPSP is different I was told it is 3 checks, but together and they do it like that for tax reasons.

also congrats

ejendz24

7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Dentist
Unless I've gotten all the wrong info, you'l be getting all three checks within the first month of your first semester. My buddy doing HPSP through the Navy said that it comes out to exactly $15k after taxes.

Also, he said that he receives $900 every two weeks for the stipend. I suppose that will depend on your tax deductions, however.

USArmyHPSP

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
Academic Administration
Unless I've gotten all the wrong info, you'l be getting all three checks within the first month of your first semester. My buddy doing HPSP through the Navy said that it comes out to exactly $15k after taxes.

Also, he said that he receives $900 every two weeks for the stipend. I suppose that will depend on your tax deductions, however.
The rule of thumb for the Army is that you will receive your bonus within 30 days of your first stipend check. It does come in 3 payments of 9K, 9K, 2K. It has happened that some have gotten all three payments within one week, but the standard is within 30 days.

Stipend is currently $1,992.00/month less taxes, so your stipend pay depends what deductions you have on your W-4.

teeth63a

Dharma Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Dharma Station: The Staff
Status
Dentist
The rule of thumb for the Army is that you will receive your bonus within 30 days of your first stipend check. It does come in 3 payments of 9K, 9K, 2K. It has happened that some have gotten all three payments within one week, but the standard is within 30 days.

Stipend is currently $1,992.00/month less taxes, so your stipend pay depends what deductions you have on your W-4.

General rule is 30% in various taxes, but yes it depends on how you filled your W4 form.

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Your recruiter is stupid unless they changed funding this year. You'll get the bonus in 3 sums two weeks apart. 9k/9k/2k is correct. 30% is taken out and the stipend is only taxed 5-10% depending on your W4. Most of my friends claimed back most of their bonus tax after filing taxes.

Look to pay ~9-10% of the total income earned per year in taxes. this is by the lowest tax bracket.

dentalmon

7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Your recruiter is stupid unless they changed funding this year. You'll get the bonus in 3 sums two weeks apart. 9k/9k/2k is correct. 30% is taken out and the stipend is only taxed 5-10% depending on your W4. Most of my friends claimed back most of their bonus tax after filing taxes.

Look to pay ~9-10% of the total income earned per year in taxes. this is by the lowest tax bracket.

so exactly how much would you get everymonth for stipend.. after taxes?

Tiankum

7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Dentist
I was told by a current HPSP student that she gets 1883 per month...$941.50 on the first and the 15th of each month....but she is a single student...if you're married or have kids etc...you'll have a different W4

lphiewok

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Fort Polk, LA
Status
Dentist
Just got commissioned yesterday!

Yes, my recruiter was wrong when she told me that I will be receiving them every year. Instead, I was told that I will receive my first bonus (9k) as soon as final paperwork gets done hopefully around June and 2 more payments (9k + 2k) in following months.

When I was filling out my W-4, I just put 0 for all of them. Is that okay? (what were you supposed to do in order to receive the most money monthly?)

ALTOSS

A Soldier Medic
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2008
Somewhere in US
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just got commissioned yesterday!

Yes, my recruiter was wrong when she told me that I will be receiving them every year. Instead, I was told that I will receive my first bonus (9k) as soon as final paperwork gets done hopefully around June and 2 more payments (9k + 2k) in following months.

When I was filling out my W-4, I just put 0 for all of them. Is that okay? (what were you supposed to do in order to receive the most money monthly?)
I think your recruiter is wrong again. Any monetary disbursement (20K bonus, stipend, CDW, etc) does not begin until all of the following is complete: commission, first day of class, or acceptance to the program. I was commissioned almost 8 months before dental school, attended OBLC in the summer, but the 20K bonus arrived only after the classes started (early september). The relevant clause is in the contract.

Dec 26, 2009
TN
www.facebook.com
Status
Dental Student
Yes your bonus will be received within 30 days in 9k,9k,2k after your first stipend is received. I read up on it on the MOD website and you receive pay on the 1st and 15th of each month. If you start class by the 7th of the month you will get paid on the 15th of that month. If you start anytime after you will get paid the first of next month. That is what I understood from the website.