21 MCAT, 3.5 GPA, Great EC, Phlebotomist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s3trots

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

So I am stuck. I just got my MCAT scores back and wasn't happy with the fact that I only got a 21 on them. I have about a 3.5 GPA right now and its my senior year. I am the president of AMSA and involved with many other clubs on campus.I have done my shadowing and was a student volunteer at the hosptial. I just started as a phlebotomist in the hospital as well. I planned on taking a year off to save up some money as well as spend as much time as possible in the hospital. I don't know if I should apply for a few DO schools on the lower end or take a post bacc course. I just am stuck in a bad situation because the MCAT is changing and I have to prepare for a completely new exam if I take it again.

Help please!! I need your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

There are probably worse things than taking a new exam...especially if you prepped hard for the previous MCAT. Your score is unlikely to be competitive. You need to consider dropping your ECs and focus on MCAT. You really need to get it up at least to 23

I don't think I would risk an application with a 21, that is just too low; I cannot see a 3.5 and good EC's cancelling out that sort of score in most cases. I would focus on retaking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post bac is for those who have a suffering GPA which you do not. Just retake the MCAT. Good luck!

Thank you! I think I am going to just have to start studying for the new MCAT! But thank you all for your wisdom!

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure you slow down with the extra-curriculars when studying for the MCAT again.