kiwi1994

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am a US MD 3rd year student (just started third year) who got 210 for Step 1. I have always been interested in family medicine and was aiming to go to a top family medicine residency such as U of Washington, U of Michigan ect but was wondering if I still have a chance with this score?

I am planning to study hard for a very high Step 2 score (>240) and just started clinical rotations so will also be studying hard for the exams.

I have a limited number of locations (Seattle, Boston, Philadelphia, Ann Arbor (preferably big cities with a good school)) I can apply to for residencies due to my husband's job as well. Do I have a chance? or is it a very slim chance and should reconsider locations?

I understand that more than Step 1 scores play a role in residency applications but wanted to know what everyone thought..

Thank you!

Sardonix

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Why is going to a top ranked University/academic program a major priority for you? Not saying it's wrong, but what's the reason?

Last edited:

TheOther

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In line with the question above, the idea of "top" in FM is very subjective. The field lends itself to a much more of a community focus so each program will have it's own vibe, values, and vision.

That said, you should be fine as long as you can articulate your commitment to FM and (somewhat) be able to point to a track record of it. So your personal statement needs to be strong as well as your ability to interview well.

septoplasty

Exceptional
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2010
Call Room
Status
Attending Physician
I am a US MD 3rd year student (just started third year) who got 210 for Step 1. I have always been interested in family medicine and was aiming to go to a top family medicine residency such as U of Washington, U of Michigan ect but was wondering if I still have a chance with this score?

I am planning to study hard for a very high Step 2 score (>240) and just started clinical rotations so will also be studying hard for the exams.

I have a limited number of locations (Seattle, Boston, Philadelphia, Ann Arbor (preferably big cities with a good school)) I can apply to for residencies due to my husband's job as well. Do I have a chance? or is it a very slim chance and should reconsider locations?

I understand that more than Step 1 scores play a role in residency applications but wanted to know what everyone thought..

Thank you!
Well, I'm familiar with UMichigan/AA: no, that score isn't competitive. That's a short answer.
If you apply to programs that are like 15 min west of Ann Arbor, they're very good as well, and i'm sure they'd consider you.

Also, community programs > academic programs when it comes to FM.

Reactions: Gos81238ia
OP
K

kiwi1994

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2016
Status
Why is going to a top ranked University/academic program a major priority for you? Not saying it's wrong, but what's the reason?
Ah I didn't only mean academic programs but my husband will most likely be going into an academic setting (post-doc in engineering) so it would be nice to be at the same school or at least in the same city.

OP
K

kiwi1994

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2016
Status
Well, I'm familiar with UMichigan/AA: no, that score isn't competitive. That's a short answer.
If you apply to programs that are like 15 min west of Ann Arbor, they're very good as well, and i'm sure they'd consider you.

Also, community programs > academic programs when it comes to FM.
Would I not even be considered for an interview at U of M in your opinion? (saying I get a high Step 2 score?) and which residencies are you talking about?? I know the area well as well and was wondering which residencies would be decent to apply to? (like Beaumont?) I tried looking into sites such as doximity and frieda and the residency site pages but it's hard to figure out which residencies are better than others.

Oct 14, 2018
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would I not even be considered for an interview at U of M in your opinion? (saying I get a high Step 2 score?) and which residencies are you talking about?? I know the area well as well and was wondering which residencies would be decent to apply to? (like Beaumont?) I tried looking into sites such as doximity and frieda and the residency site pages but it's hard to figure out which residencies are better than others.
What do you want to do? Go into academics, research (public policy, etc), international or sports? Then a university program might be more advantageous given the money and resources they have.

Do you want to do full-spectrum, obstetrics or hospitalist? Go to a place that is unopposed or with as few residencies present.

Making my ROL was tough as ****. We're often objective people and this process really requires you to use your gut. If you know what area you want to stay in (SE Michigan), then just apply to every program in the area and go wherever you're invited. It's not so much about prestige as it is fit in my opinion. With few exceptions, if how you want to practice falls within the realm of family medicine, you should be able to get there regardless of where you go.

Reactions: Sardonix

Make Or Break

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will that score hold you back for specific programs? Yes it will, especially for the programs a lot of applicants end up applying into. I see the trend moving more towards unopposed programs with lots of elective time being the more popular programs and therefore more competitive to get into. I hope no one on this forum thinks you can just apply to any program and expect to get in even with personality and vibe. Times are changing especially in the programs where applicants feel like they can come out and do whatever they want in family medicine.

A higher step 2 score will definitely help you though so don’t think you’re out of the running yet. Get that 240 you’re aiming for aiming for and you shouldn’t have any problems if you can interview well.

Last edited:

Gos81238ia

Irish med school, US residency, Canadian practice
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2012
Canada
Status
Attending Physician

Thank you!
Programs use the step 1 score mostly as an auto filter or cut off to filter out people and narrow their scope for interviews. 220 is a pretty common cut off for "top tier" academic programs, sometimes even 230 or 240. You may be auto filtered out in the programs ERAS if they put their settings that way. So yes, this will limit you in some places. That being said, a personal email to the director or coordinator can sometimes get your application pulled back into the running. Ultimately you are still just fine for matching with the 210.

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I doubt it will be a big factor if everything else plays out well. Just do really well on everything and hope for the best, apply at places that are acceptable to you and your husband and put in 100% effort, talk to programs, tell them about your story, why you are applying there. If it isn't meant to be, it's not meant to be. Worst case scenario you go to a completely different place than you planned, your husband has to put things on hold a while, or go somewhere else for a year or two, then re-connect. It's 3 years of your life and you don't have much control over where you go, and you will end up in the right place for you.

Oh, and I'll also say that going to a "top" academic institution isn't necessarily "good". It's only good if thats the kind of practice environment you want when you finish. If you want to do community family medicine in private practice or really anywhere not close to an academic institution, you'd be better off at a community program. If you want to do academic family medicine or be at a big university, that's where you should do residency. You'll get different opinions on this. I only say that because you'll get used to the practice environment where you do residency.

I knew towards the end of med school that I wanted to get the heck out of academia and never return. I went to a rural community program and never looked back. But you have your husband to think about too, so you'll have to balance your own wishes with his, and decide on a place that is mutually acceptable. I would say apply in big cities, but do not limit yourself to the academic centers. Like maybe, see what cities he could have an opportunity in, narrow it to your top 2-3 cities, and then you apply to like every family med program in each of those cities, both academic and community.

Last edited: