21y/o pre-med c/o lack of EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundevilMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about my lack of ECs and was wondering what would be the most benefical for me in terms of experience and boosting my application. As of right now I have:

- 1.5yrs/1,000hrs outpatient scribing (ob/gyn, FM and IM)
-1yr/800hrs ER scribing
- A few months of hospital volunteering which is probably not even worth putting on my application
-3-4yrs of part-time work, both waitressing and retail, usually working 2 jobs at a time while in school
- Observed multiple C-sections and deliveries while scribing with the OB/GYN
- Also completed 5-month internship in Labor & delivery where I also observed deliveries/surgery and completed 200+ community service hours in high school 4yrs ago (which, again, I'm not even sure is worth mentioning?)

I am planning to take this semester off of school due to costs and will be working more and will have extra time to complete some more ECs. Which would be most bendeficial for me; volunteering again? Research? Shadowing? I know that I would obviously have to commit to something long term (hence why I feel the few months of hospital shadowing is irrelevant) but I am wondering which would be the next best move for me. I do have about two years left before I plan on applying but would like to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

From now until you apply, invest in one thing you really care about, and not because you want to put it on your application.

Get as high of a gpa and MCAT as you can.

Be a nice person.

Reactions: 3 users
I am concerned about my lack of ECs and was wondering what would be the most benefical for me in terms of experience and boosting my application. As of right now I have:

- 1.5yrs/1,000hrs outpatient scribing (ob/gyn, FM and IM)
-1yr/800hrs ER scribing
- A few months of hospital volunteering which is probably not even worth putting on my application
-3-4yrs of part-time work, both waitressing and retail, usually working 2 jobs at a time while in school
- Observed multiple C-sections and deliveries while scribing with the OB/GYN
- Also completed 5-month internship in Labor & delivery where I also observed deliveries/surgery and completed 200+ community service hours in high school 4yrs ago (which, again, I'm not even sure is worth mentioning?)

I am planning to take this semester off of school due to costs and will be working more and will have extra time to complete some more ECs. Which would be most bendeficial for me; volunteering again? Research? Shadowing? I know that I would obviously have to commit to something long term (hence why I feel the few months of hospital shadowing is irrelevant) but I am wondering which would be the next best move for me. I do have about two years left before I plan on applying but would like to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Any advice would be appreciated!

Why wouldn't you put a few months of hospital volunteering your application? ~50 or so hours is substantial enough.

You do not need to shadow, especially since you have scribed for several specialties.

You really need some non-clinical volunteering to help expand your application. Research would also be a great choice. You honestly have your clinical experience covered already.

Just make sure you get a 3.5+ GPA and a 508+ MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely put volunteering on the application.

I would suggest some more volunteering, perhaps more non-clinical as you have quite a bit of clinical experience. Research is always useful.

Become a Big Sister and do research.

How are you lacking in EC in clinical perspective? You have hundreds hours of clinical experience.

As mentioned above, clinical experience is on point (many many hours scribing)....get involved in research and/or non-clinical volunteering.

OP could stop all clinical work now and still have more hours than a good amount of applicants

Yes, I realize I have tons of clinical experience that will no doubt be beneficial when applying, but I would imagine it would also be beneficial to have some non-clinical experience as well, which is why I was wondering what other non-clinical activities could i get involved in to help stand out

Volunteering. Don't worry about trying to "stand out." Do something you care about that helps someone else.

Also, how do you go about finding research positions? I have seen a few that are offered to graduates only or some opportunities being offered for internship credit but I am worried that I will have less luck finding any without taking classes/being on campus this semester

Here are examples of a top school and average stat-school from MSAR:

Harvard
Community Service (Non-medical) - 72%
Community Service (Medical) - 82%
Paid Employment (Medical) - 29%
Physical Shadowing - 73%
Research / Lab - 93%

Jefferson
Community Service (Non-medical) - 77%
Community Service (Medical) - 85%
Paid Employment (Medical) - 36%
Physical Shadowing - 79%
Research / Lab - 86%

People say not to check boxes, but given those statistics, it is in your best interest to have some (even 40 hours) of those activities. I would definitely list your few months of hospital volunteering + any shadowing. Also, even a summer of research would good - any field or type of research you are interested in is fine (clinical, translational, basic science).

Also, how do you go about finding research positions? I have seen a few that are offered to graduates only or some opportunities being offered for internship credit but I am worried that I will have less luck finding any without taking classes/being on campus this semester
Contact faculty members at your university who are doing research in areas you're interested in. (Could be profs you've taken classes with or not)

If you're looking to get paid, you could also see if any teaching hospitals in your area are hiring clinical research assistants. Many PIs also have opportunities for unpaid research internships.

Here are examples of a top school and average stat-school from MSAR:

Harvard
Community Service (Non-medical) - 72%
Community Service (Medical) - 82%
Paid Employment (Medical) - 29%
Physical Shadowing - 73%
Research / Lab - 93%

Jefferson
Community Service (Non-medical) - 77%
Community Service (Medical) - 85%
Paid Employment (Medical) - 36%
Physical Shadowing - 79%
Research / Lab - 86%

People say not to check boxes, but given those statistics, it is in your best interest to have some (even 40 hours) of those activities. I would definitely list your few months of hospital volunteering + any shadowing. Also, even a summer of research would good - any field or type of research you are interested in is fine (clinical, translational, basic science).

There's two ways to look at this statistic. You can also look at it in the light that about 1/3 of all accepted have clinical experience, thus it's a harder thing to come by, so clinical experience may be valued more. Obviously top-notch schools want research since they are the front-line for the next generation of medicine. Ideally you have everything, but my interpretation of this statistic is that paid medical employment is hard to come by in an applicant and is probably valued more than anything else listed there. The other things are usually expected.