dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status
Pre-Optometry
Do a lot of people take an extra year and start med school at 23? is it more advantageous to start at 22? I am graduating one year early from college with a nonscience major so instead of a 4th year I am planning on doing a one-year post-bacc. If I did a post-bacc with a linkage I could avoid the glide year and start med school at 22 with my peer group, but if I just did a regular post bacc I'd be 23. Not much difference in the long run I know, especially if in that glide year I could have significant opportunity to do research or hospital work or something else meaningful with my time. I was just wondering how often it is that kids going the regular pre-med route take an extra year and start at 23 rather than go straight through to med school. :D Thanks.

spygal

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
I will have taken three years off to do research before starting next fall (assuming I get accepted). One of the best decisions I ever made.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
At the Beach!!
Visit site
Status
I know a lot of people who took a year off before applying to medical school...But I really think it depends on the person!! Honestly, I don't think being 22 or 23 will have any impact on your admissions....Committees are looking for maturity and to see if you have a real passion for medicine...

Anyway, I hope age won't be a problem. If I get in this cycle, I'll be starting med school @ 21....yay for elementary school cut off dates!

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
I started med school at 21. The avg was 24. The oldest was 41. The youngest was 20. Youre fine either way. Several of my good friends started at 27-28.

topogigio

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
prazmatic said:
I started med school at 21. The avg was 24. The oldest was 41. The youngest was 20. Youre fine either way. Several of my good friends started at 27-28.
I'll be starting at 20 (provided I get in...), just weeks away from turning 21.... :p

I think the averages are not a good representation because you might have someone who's 18 (heard of one once.. :eek: ), and some who are in their 30's, even 40's. I think the majority, however, are in their mid twenties, give or take a few.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
topogigio said:
I'll be starting at 20 (provided I get in...), just weeks away from turning 21.... :p
Assuming everything goes as I had planned, I'll be about a month from turning 21 when I start. Private school was nice to me in kindergarten...

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
mvenus929 said:
Assuming everything goes as I had planned, I'll be about a month from turning 21 when I start. Private school was nice to me in kindergarten...
pssst, that's nothing....I'll be 14 when I start....I skipped elementary school altogether. I was that awesome :D

No, really, I'll be 21 + 1 or 2 weeks old when I start...if I start 2007 as planned. I did skip a grade in high school :) .

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
mvenus929 said:
AP credits were nice to me in college. :)

Nevertheless, there were alot of youngens starting med school early from my undergrad. The youngest was 18 when he started.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
dreamsicle said:
Do a lot of people take an extra year and start med school at 23? is it more advantageous to start at 22? I am graduating one year early from college with a nonscience major so instead of a 4th year I am planning on doing a one-year post-bacc. If I did a post-bacc with a linkage I could avoid the glide year and start med school at 22 with my peer group, but if I just did a regular post bacc I'd be 23. Not much difference in the long run I know, especially if in that glide year I could have significant opportunity to do research or hospital work or something else meaningful with my time. I was just wondering how often it is that kids going the regular pre-med route take an extra year and start at 23 rather than go straight through to med school. :D Thanks.
Average age in allo is generally 24+, due largely to nontrads pulling up the curve. Median is closer to 22. Both numbers are higher in DO, I'm told. At any rate 23 is going to be someplace closer to the middle of the class than the extremes. There will be lots of people in mid to upper 20s in every med school, probably a handful over 30, and once in a while someone even beyond that decade.

kirexhana

Make Me A Sandwich.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student
god, 23 is so OLD. you might as well just quit now, nobody will want a doctor who started at 27... ;) all the cool kids start med school at 19 :p

i jest. no, 23 is still on theyoung side these days. especially since the national average is what 24? 25?

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I'm going to be my normal blunt self and say: STFU. :laugh: I'll be thirty when I start medical school.