23 TS and 21 AA, should I be worried about the low QR score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paper2627

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
21AA/ 23TS/ 23OC/ 24GC/ 22Bio/ 20RC/ 16QR/ 20PAT

I have a pretty low cGPA and sGPA (both around 2.8-2.9), but I have a pretty strong resume when it comes to my extracurriculars (e.g. VP of Pre-Dental Society, two brigade trips abroad (was on exec board for one of them), various community service activities, 100+ hours shadowing, etc.)

I have applied to Rutgers MBS dental scholars program for Spring 2019 and really want to get in, but regardless of if I get in or not I will be applying to dental schools in 2019 and was wondering if the 16 would look bad for Rutger's or to dental schools once I apply? I'm pretty happy with my scores but every time I see the 16 I worry how it might impact my application.

Members don't see this ad.

A 16 QR won’t sink your app, it’s the section schools care the least amount about. However with a 21AA and a sub 3.0 GPA you’re skating on thin ice. I wouldn’t retake the DAT unless you knew you could get 22+ but with a <3.0 you are definitely going to need to 4.0 it in a masters program or have a serious upward trend. Fortunately DAT scores last for a couple years so if you need to do a 1-2 year masters and do well your 21 is good enough. I wish you the best but your ECs have to be phenomenal(not just good) for an admissions committee to overlook a sub 3.0 GPA.

A 16 QR won’t sink your app, it’s the section schools care the least amount about. However with a 21AA and a sub 3.0 GPA you’re skating on thin ice. I wouldn’t retake the DAT unless you knew you could get 22+ but with a <3.0 you are definitely going to need to 4.0 it in a masters program or have a serious upward trend. Fortunately DAT scores last for a couple years so if you need to do a 1-2 year masters and do well your 21 is good enough. I wish you the best but your ECs have to be phenomenal(not just good) for an admissions committee to overlook a sub 3.0 GPA.
Thanks! The 16 bothers me the most because I know I could've done much better and brought up my AA to a 22 at least. I know my EC's won't balance out the bad GPA, but I'm hoping I get in to Rutger's so I can do my best and apply to schools with the best application I can give them.

Do schools not care about the TS score that much? I was kind of hoping that the average-ish AA would be balanced out by the high TS

Members don't see this ad :)
21AA/ 23TS/ 23OC/ 24GC/ 22Bio/ 20RC/ 16QR/ 20PAT

I have a pretty low cGPA and sGPA (both around 2.8-2.9), but I have a pretty strong resume when it comes to my extracurriculars (e.g. VP of Pre-Dental Society, two brigade trips abroad (was on exec board for one of them), various community service activities, 100+ hours shadowing, etc.)

I have applied to Rutgers MBS dental scholars program for Spring 2019 and really want to get in, but regardless of if I get in or not I will be applying to dental schools in 2019 and was wondering if the 16 would look bad for Rutger's or to dental schools once I apply? I'm pretty happy with my scores but every time I see the 16 I worry how it might impact my application.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:Congratulations!
Excellent scores and the 16 in QR should not be a problem, the issue I see is with your GPA's. Have you discussed this with Rutgers?

Nancy

Last edited:
Excellent scores and the 16 in QR should not be a problem, the issue I see is with your GPA's. Have you discussed this with Rutgers?

Nancy
Thank you so much, and thank you and Dr. Romano for everything you guys provide for students preparing for the DAT. I wouldn't have been able to do close to as well as I did without your resources!

I have done some research on sdn and there are other students who got into Rutgers MBS program with similar GPA's to mine (but with a 24AA), but how would I go about discussing my situation with Rutger's? There was no place on the application to explain my low GPA.

Last edited:

Nancy

Wont schools flag you if you have a 16? Im planning to postpone my DAT cause im struggling in PAT and QR right now badly :(

No that’s a myth SDN likes to propagate. Schools with limits have them posted. But if you don’t feel confident you should postpone.

Wont schools flag you if you have a 16? Im planning to postpone my DAT cause im struggling in PAT and QR right now badly :(
Postponing the exam can be very helpful if you really need to. Just make sure you figure out how much longer you need and work as hard as you can during that time. PAT can really only be improved with practice and good strategies (which come with practice and/or watching Bootcamp tutorials or youtube tutorials). Make sure you practice PAT every single day and do every section that you feel weak on. I only practiced for the PAT for about a month or so out of the two, and didn't do it every day, but I know if I had studied longer for it I would've done much better. For QR, I studied much less than the others and spent too much time on harder questions on test day. Its best to answer all easy questions first and if you feel a certain question is going to take longer or is harder, skip it. I would also make sure you're studying/watching Orgoman math videos on the math topics you are struggling with more. Go through a test and write down all the topics you're struggling on, then go to the DAT math playlist that Orgoman has on youtube and watch the corresponding one. I would still recommend watching all of them if you haven't but it depends on the time you have.

I got a 21 aa/ts and 16 in QR with a 3.2 spga. Already have 5 interviews and no one as asked anything about my qr score

Reactions: 1 users