230 in Physics?

rani82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone score in the 220s or 230s in Kaplan Physics on the practice tests and do significantly better on the actual OAT?

Your responses are appreciated since I am taking the exam in 2 weeks :(

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone score in the 220s or 230s in Kaplan Physics on the practice tests and do significantly better on the actual OAT?

Expect to score at least 30 points higher on the actual OAT than on Kaplan tests. I also found Kaplan's Physics to be significantly harder than on the real test, moreso than on any of the other sections.

Kaplan does a ridiculously poor job in putting together some of their practice tests. Their review notes are awesome, but many of the tests are terribly inaccurate. They will put a whole physics section together that has all very time consuming questions on it, and then another that is 20 times easier. They don't take the time to put together those tests for OAT people, so don't let that 230 bother you. For example, one practice test I aced the reading section, and bombed the physics. On the real test, I did extremely well on the physics, and reading comp was my worst score.

Sounds ridiculously low to me. How many questions you got right out of each of these tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took mine today and i think you do better on the actual test-- Kaplan tests are harder. I was told not to do Practice Tests 3-5 because my instructor says they're next to impossible to do...

But for the next time i take the OAT, i'm memorizing all the concepts of physics and getting a "Physics for Dummies" book-- because i seriously am physics illiterate. :/

Kaplan does a ridiculously poor job in putting together some of their practice tests. Their review notes are awesome, but many of the tests are terribly inaccurate. They will put a whole physics section together that has all very time consuming questions on it, and then another that is 20 times easier. They don't take the time to put together those tests for OAT people, so don't let that 230 bother you. For example, one practice test I aced the reading section, and bombed the physics. On the real test, I did extremely well on the physics, and reading comp was my worst score.
OMG I TOTALLY AGREE..i despise kaplan, so much so that i didnt bother to finish the class...
as for the physics section..when i was studying on my own (1 year after taking the kaplan course and after taking physics class), i was scoring 210-230 on practice tests. i got 330 on the actual. the practice tests i took were from a kaplan practice test book (unfortunately) and the questions are indeed time-consuming and "unsolvable in the time allotted" (quote from my physics friend). dont let it get you down AT ALL. just practice the problems but do NOT feel discouraged. you'll do AWESOME

I agree with everyone that the Kaplan tests are more difficult than the actual OAT. The only exception to this was the Biology section...I actually scored a little bit lower on the actual test than on the Kaplan's.

rani- are you referring to Kaplan's full length practice tests or the subject tests? The reason why I ask is cause the subject tests for individual sections are much, much more difficult than what you will get on test day. These subject tests are geared towards particular topics. So, everyone ends up bombing the subject test dealing with whichever subject you are weak at like magnetism, electric fields, etc for me.

Don't be discouraged. I was scoring around 280-300 on the Physics section of Kaplan's full length pratice exams but improved to 340 on test day. Granted that I really focused in on Physics 2 weeks before the actual test.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the words of wisdom! Right now for the past couple of days I have been focusing on Sparknotes Physics to learn broad concepts. I am hoping that I score well enough to not have to apply again next year for 2008!

Unfortunately, I don't have much time though. I only have about a week left so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

For those of you that are studying for the OAT right now and applying for 2008 - start EARLY! That is the best advice anyone could have given me...too bad I didn't take it :(

OMG I TOTALLY AGREE..i despise kaplan, so much so that i didnt bother to finish the class...
as for the physics section..when i was studying on my own (1 year after taking the kaplan course and after taking physics class), i was scoring 210-230 on practice tests. i got 330 on the actual. the practice tests i took were from a kaplan practice test book (unfortunately) and the questions are indeed time-consuming and "unsolvable in the time allotted" (quote from my physics friend). dont let it get you down AT ALL. just practice the problems but do NOT feel discouraged. you'll do AWESOME

I was told not to do the practice tests 3-5 from my instructor because they were "impossible" to do... I agree but then they shoudl really remodel the course a bit... too much overlap with the DAT in terms of addressing the test TO DENTISTS instead of soon-to-be optometrists. :/
I need to find a better way to prep for physics as well... I have intense problem applying kinematics and Newton's laws... any suggestions?

Thanks~

I heard that the same people that make questions for the DAT also make questions for the OAT. I don't know if its true. But this makes sense as to why OAT students are grouped together with DAT students in Kaplan course.

Hey Subiedubie,

That is true - I had to call the ADA to get some info about the OAT a couple of weeks ago...!