232 Step 1- Do I Need to take Step 2 early before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

het het

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

M3 here, planning to apply to ophthalmology.

As the title says- I got a 232 on step 1. I feel the remainder of my application is pretty balanced (with regards to research, clinical grades, and expected LOR's, etc).

I was therefore wondering if I must/should take step 2 early, so that my score would be on my application before I apply in order to make me more competitive?

Taking the test early would give me a total of 13 days to study for step 2. I am confident I can score higher than my step 1 in this time- but I am wondering if studying for a whole month (in September-October) to reach my full score potential (and not having my score on my initial application) would actually be more beneficial?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes take Step 2 early. Last years average Step 1 score was mid-240s. A large improvement in your score can have a help, but know that some programs will use step 1 scores as an initial screen of applications.

Consider taking Step 2 early, but possibly give yourself more time to prep. We have different outcomes in terms of a step 1 score, but no one on interview trail asked me about step 2 and whether I had taken it yet or not.

Best of luck on this application cycle, it is a fun ride and match day is a great experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Step 2 was a really tough exam, and I honored 6/7 shelf exams and had a high Step 1. Don't underestimate it. If you're hoping to score well (>250 for step 2 in the eyes of most ophtho folks) then spend >2 weeks on it. Unless you go to a top 10 med school or school with top 10 residency program, I recommend trying to get Step 2 back in time for applications, and do well on it. If your school is one of the former, then I'd consider focusing more on publications/presentations and letters, unless you're very confident. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replys guys.

With regards to taking Step 2 early- how "late" can I take the exam to have my score show up on my application? Would taking it mid July (July 10-15th) be considered too late to have my score on my application?

Your application should really be in early to mid August. How long does it take to get the score ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your application should really be in early to mid August. How long does it take to get the score ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

4 weeks- as far I know. I am hoping taking it Mid July + then submitting Mid August (vs. taking it early July + Applying early August) will be better- as this would allow me a bit more time to study.

4 weeks- as far I know. I am hoping taking it Mid July + then submitting Mid August (vs. taking it early July + Applying early August) will be better- as this would allow me a bit more time to study.
Just as a heads up, anyone who took CK after July 9 last year got their results back September 14, a delay the NBME announced sometime around May. With that said, I was able to add my score report to my SF Match on September 14, and all my programs seemed to have access to it during interviews prior to me receiving interview invitations. I don't know if it would be better to have it in when you initially submit, though - just keep in mind you might need to be ready to take it early July if that is the case.