236 Step 1, 245 Step 2 a bunch of P,High Passes, and 1 Honor in Surgery and No research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amohammed709

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you can see I am just about as average as a med student can get. Is there a good chance for matching into Radiology?

I just got really nervous looking at the 2018 Charting outcomes and wondering If I should even bother. Really the only selling point I have is an H in Surgery but other than that I am right down the middle average.

What are some good programs for average applicants from an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

As you can see I am just about as average as a med student can get. Is there a good chance for matching into Radiology?

I just got really nervous looking at the 2018 Charting outcomes and wondering If I should even bother. Really the only selling point I have is an H in Surgery but other than that I am right down the middle average.

What are some good programs for average applicants from an MD school?
You just said it yourself: “Average”. That means that there are people with stats higher but ALSO lower than yours that still match. I don’t think you would have a shot at a top 20 (unless you’re from a top school), but I definitely think you could match into a solid program. Great letters or something interesting about you could also go a long way. Just apply broadly and don’t be weird on interview day. Good luck!

You’ll have a reasonable chance. You also still have time to get a poster or online presentation out. Be proactive.

You have a good chance of matching given your US MD status. I had a similar step 1 and higher step 2 and better clinical grades. I ended up getting invites from multiple top 10 programs and matching at a program that is ranked in the top 25 on doximity. You should use your time to work on research and do an away at your top choice. Connections matter a lot more than you think. Apply broadly. If you’re worried, apply to some community programs as a back up. DR is getting competitive again as you can see from the latest charting outcomes but it is still not like dermatology or neurosurgery. US MD seniors still have an 89% chance of matching. Good luck!!