24 year old looking to start a post-bacc program for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arrode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need some advice!

A little about me: I am 24, female, and currently have a BS in Information Technology. I am also currently enrolled in my second BS degree in Nursing and I am going for my BSN. My BSN is being completed part-time at a night nursing program and I work full-time at a day job as a software developer.

I've decided after being a student nurse and being impressed with the depth of knowledge and skills of doctors that I would like to pursue that route and go to medical school.

I know I will need to go to a post-bacc program and complete my pre-reqs. I have taken the following courses during my first bachelors degree and marked the courses I still need:

Med school pre-reqs:
  • Chem I & II: Took chem 1, need chem 2. (B)
  • Bio I & II: Took Bio 1, need Bio 2. (B)
  • Physics I&II: Need both
  • Calculus I&II: Took both (B and C grade :()
  • Org Chem I&II: Need both
  • English I&II: Took both. (A)
Advanced sciences I have taken:
  • A&P w/lab 1-2 (B+ and B+)
  • Microbiology w/lab (A-)
  • Nutrition (A) *not sure if this one matters at all in my app
  • Nursing school clinical classes (all As, once again, not sure this matters)
As for my pre-reqs I took Bio 1 and Chem 1 years ago (2005-2006). I received a B in both courses which irks me since I know I could have received an A. I wasn't as serious about schooling then as I am now, unfortunately. Should I retake all the courses and strive for As in a post-bacc program or should I just take the courses I haven't taken yet and proceed with the Bs?

My undergrad GPA in my IT major was 3.4. My current GPA in nursing school is a 4.0, but I have not completed my degree so I don't know what my final GPA will be.

Sorry for the length of this post and much thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I need some advice!

A little about me: I am 24, female, and currently have a BS in Information Technology. I am also currently enrolled in my second BS degree in Nursing and I am going for my BSN. My BSN is being completed part-time at a night nursing program and I work full-time at a day job as a software developer.

I've decided after being a student nurse and being impressed with the depth of knowledge and skills of doctors that I would like to pursue that route and go to medical school.

I know I will need to go to a post-bacc program and complete my pre-reqs. I have taken the following courses during my first bachelors degree and marked the courses I still need:

Med school pre-reqs:
  • Chem I & II: Took chem 1, need chem 2. (B)
  • Bio I & II: Took Bio 1, need Bio 2. (B)
  • Physics I&II: Need both
  • Calculus I&II: Took both (B and C grade :()
  • Org Chem I&II: Need both
  • English I&II: Took both. (A)
Advanced sciences I have taken:
  • A&P w/lab 1-2 (B+ and B+)
  • Microbiology w/lab (A-)
  • Nutrition (A) *not sure if this one matters at all in my app
  • Nursing school clinical classes (all As, once again, not sure this matters)
As for my pre-reqs I took Bio 1 and Chem 1 years ago (2005-2006). I received a B in both courses which irks me since I know I could have received an A. I wasn't as serious about schooling then as I am now, unfortunately. Should I retake all the courses and strive for As in a post-bacc program or should I just take the courses I haven't taken yet and proceed with the Bs?

My undergrad GPA in my IT major was 3.4. My current GPA in nursing school is a 4.0, but I have not completed my degree so I don't know what my final GPA will be.

Sorry for the length of this post and much thanks in advance!

Unless you want to focus on DO programs for some specific personal reason(s), it is better to proceed with your Bs and take more advanced coursework. DO programs will average your new and existing grades for a class, but MD programs are going to just average the two class grades--and worse, you won't be learning much new material and it may take you longer to apply.

Moreover, your GPA seems good enough to me where you could become a competitive MD applicant with a few more As. My school told me that a 3.5+ cumulative GPA was the benchmark for a "competitive" applicant, but a 3.4 puts you in better stead than many people here on the nontrad forum (some of whom are now medical students). :)

I would not retake. You have 20 credits left in prereqs, get straight As. You need a good story for going from nursing to med school. Make sure to do well on the MCAT and get good clinical experience, also shadow some docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a good story for going from nursing to med school.

I second this. Some other-professional-school-to-med-school nontrads have worked fulltime in their field (such as law) for a few years before making the transition to medical school to demonstrate that they are not just degree-collectors. You might want to consider doing the same. I imagine adcoms are going to be very curious about your change of heart, and you'll need a very convincing story for them.

I second this. Some other-professional-school-to-med-school nontrads have worked fulltime in their field (such as law) for a few years before making the transition to medical school to demonstrate that they are not just degree-collectors. You might want to consider doing the same. I imagine adcoms are going to be very curious about your change of heart, and you'll need a very convincing story for them.

I'm a little confused by the "need a good story to explain myself" bit.

I don't really think of this as a negative thing since I knew going into my BSN degree that it wouldn't be my terminal degree. I'd want to either advance my studies and get a MSN, MS PA, or go to medical school. I knew I would want more autonomy and a deeper understanding of medicine and health care. I feel like an advanced degree, for me, is a logical next step and by having studied nursing I would be a more compassionate doctor and have a deeper understanding of hospital dynamics.

At least that's my rationale. I am not doubting what you say that some admission officers would question it, but I can only think of it in a positive light.

I'm a little confused by the "need a good story to explain myself" bit.

I don't really think of this as a negative thing since I knew going into my BSN degree that it wouldn't be my terminal degree. I'd want to either advance my studies and get a MSN, MS PA, or go to medical school. I knew I would want more autonomy and a deeper understanding of medicine and health care. I feel like an advanced degree, for me, is a logical next step and by having studied nursing I would be a more compassionate doctor and have a deeper understanding of hospital dynamics.

At least that's my rationale. I am not doubting what you say that some admission officers would question it, but I can only think of it in a positive light.
The problem is two-fold. First, nurse --> MD is not seen as a traditional path; they are regarded as two distinct and separate careers. The path expected is undergrad --> MD, so there will definitely be questions as to why you didn't go directly into medicine if you were not planning on working as a nurse. If you wanted to be a doctor all along, the thinking is, you shouldn't have gone into nursing. If you went into nursing expecting to go on in nursing, then you are expected to have a good explanation as to what made you change your mind and pursue an MD instead of continuing in nursing. It isn't that you aren't "supposed" to do this, it is that it will raise questions you will need to be ready to answer.

The second is that if you never intended to work as a nurse, you may be seen as "wasting" a scarce spot in a nursing program. Not that I think you wasted a spot, but if you go straight from nursing school to post-bac for MD admission, that is the impression some Adcoms may have. These are things you need to keep in mind and be able to answer. Good luck!

The problem is two-fold. First, nurse --> MD is not seen as a traditional path; they are regarded as two distinct and separate careers. The path expected is undergrad --> MD, so there will definitely be questions as to why you didn't go directly into medicine if you were not planning on working as a nurse. If you wanted to be a doctor all along, the thinking is, you shouldn't have gone into nursing. If you went into nursing expecting to go on in nursing, then you are expected to have a good explanation as to what made you change your mind and pursue an MD instead of continuing in nursing. It isn't that you aren't "supposed" to do this, it is that it will raise questions you will need to be ready to answer.

The second is that if you never intended to work as a nurse, you may be seen as "wasting" a scarce spot in a nursing program. Not that I think you wasted a spot, but if you go straight from nursing school to post-bac for MD admission, that is the impression some Adcoms may have. These are things you need to keep in mind and be able to answer. Good luck!

Thank you, that really puts it into perspective for me.

Do you think it would be better for me to stop taking nursing classes now and disregard my BSN? If so, would I even have to submit the transcripts of my BSN since they were done at a separate college than my undergraduate IT degree and the classes would have no bearing into being accepted to med school? I just don't know what I would say to the Adcoms other than, "I realized I wanted to focus on medicine and not so much nursing" (put more elloquently, of course!).

There's nothing to retake there. Even the Calculus is not a big deal.

Do you think it would be better for me to stop taking nursing classes now and disregard my BSN? If so, would I even have to submit the transcripts of my BSN since they were done at a separate college than my undergraduate IT degree and the classes would have no bearing into being accepted to med school? I just don't know what I would say to the Adcoms other than, "I realized I wanted to focus on medicine and not so much nursing" (put more elloquently, of course!).
You must submit ALL transcripts from every college you've attended. If you want to go to medical school, stop nursing.

First, dropping out will NOT negate the need to send the transcripts to med schools. If someone took a class at a CC junior year of high school, they have to report it to med schools. Everything at college level will be sent to the schools.

Second, dropping it now would probably be worse than sticking with it and graduating, since it shows a lack of commitment. Since they will see that you started a nursing degree, the same questions will be present as to why the switch from nursing to MD, PLUS the red flag of having dropped out of a program before completing it.

If I were you, I would graduate from your nursing program and start working as a nurse. Take your post-bac classes while working and then apply. You will show that you stick with what you start, and you will make decent money while taking post-bac courses.

You must submit ALL transcripts from every college you've attended. If you want to go to medical school, stop nursing.

So you suggest I just stop nursing school cold turkey after this semester, focus on post-bacc, and apply to med school? I honestly feel like this is what I should do. Reading posts of people in similar situations to me it honestly seems better to stop nursing school before getting my BSN instead of becoming a RN and THEN transferring to nursing school since I've read Adcomms sometimes think that they are taking away a valuable nurse due to the nursing shortage.

Do you think by just being completely honest with the Adcomms about my situation (I'm thinking of applying more to DO schools than MD) that my nursing school would be "forgiven"?

*(So weird to think that nursing school is a NEGATIVE thing regarding applying to medical school... I feel I'd be a BETTER candidate due to nursing school experiences than a person who has no clinical experience aside shadowing and maybe volunteering in a hospital)

theseeker4 has given you good advice. finish what you started.

So you suggest I just stop nursing school cold turkey after this semester, focus on post-bacc, and apply to med school? I honestly feel like this is what I should do. Reading posts of people in similar situations to me it honestly seems better to stop nursing school before getting my BSN instead of becoming a RN and THEN transferring to nursing school since I've read Adcomms sometimes think that they are taking away a valuable nurse due to the nursing shortage.

Do you think by just being completely honest with the Adcomms about my situation (I'm thinking of applying more to DO schools than MD) that my nursing school would be "forgiven"?

*(So weird to think that nursing school is a NEGATIVE thing regarding applying to medical school... I feel I'd be a BETTER candidate due to nursing school experiences than a person who has no clinical experience aside shadowing and maybe volunteering in a hospital)
Yes, I think you should quit. This idea that you have to finish stuff just because you have to finish is not one that I endorse. If you know it's not something you want to do, don't do it. It doesn't only come at the expense of time but also at monetary expense. Even if you have a scholarship, it would be best to use that time making money with a job than getting a degree you don't want. Besides, we're talking about nursing school. That's not professional school where you drop after week 4 (for example in law) and you mess it up for the school because the courses are planned out so that a spot is lost forever. Another nursing student could take "intro to pharmacology" if they need it.

Nursing doesn't give you an advantage because you're learning clinical skills irrelevant to medicine. Perhaps you're even learning the wrong skills that will need to be unlearned during medical school. Nurses are trained for a specific job in medicine while doctors in another. Besides, if you take a nursing degree just to get into medical school, you're taking the opportunity to become a nurse from a real nurse.

Just be honest, "I wanted to go into nursing, but as I went through it, I found out that I wanted the autonomy/practice rights/job/etc of a doctor. I wouldn't be happy as a nurse." Legitimate thing to feel, and since it is still within the health field, I don't think it makes you sound indecisive like transitioning from law to med in a short time period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking as a nurse who just got accepted to medical school (DO) it's not impossible to do. I also have interviews at two MD schools scheduled. I have not had issues with the BSN--->MD path. You can have any undergraduate degree as long as you complete the prerequisites. I graduated and then completed the rest of my pre-reqs while working full time as a nurse. It may be different because I was an actual pre-med student during nursing school, meaning I took pre-reqs and nursing courses together.
I don't know about quitting, I think there is an argument either way.
If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Speaking as a nurse who just got accepted to medical school (DO) it's not impossible to do. I also have interviews at two MD schools scheduled. I have not had issues with the BSN--->MD path. You can have any undergraduate degree as long as you complete the prerequisites. I graduated and then completed the rest of my pre-reqs while working full time as a nurse. It may be different because I was an actual pre-med student during nursing school, meaning I took pre-reqs and nursing courses together.
I don't know about quitting, I think there is an argument either way.
If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Shinny, thanks so much for your resassuring words! I almost went into panic mode when I read online about the really negative view of nurse -> MD/DO.

I really do respect the work and care that nurses give and the attention to the patients' needs nurses can provide in the hospital setting. Reading about DOs and how their approach is a hollistic method really seems like the direction I want to go in and having a nursing background, I believe, will be beneficial.

Thanks so much guys! I think my plan of action is the following:

- Finish out this semester at nursing school and ace those classes (like a boss!). I'd like to leave on a positive note with the nursing school. I hardly consider what I've done so far a waste of time.
- Apply in the meantime to a post-bacc program at a nearby university (and hopefully get in!)
- Finish post-bacc, get some more volunteer/shadowing experience, and apply to med schools

Shinny, thanks so much for your resassuring words! I almost went into panic mode when I read online about the really negative view of nurse -> MD/DO.

I really do respect the work and care that nurses give and the attention to the patients' needs nurses can provide in the hospital setting. Reading about DOs and how their approach is a hollistic method really seems like the direction I want to go in and having a nursing background, I believe, will be beneficial.

Thanks so much guys! I think my plan of action is the following:

- Finish out this semester at nursing school and ace those classes (like a boss!). I'd like to leave on a positive note with the nursing school. I hardly consider what I've done so far a waste of time.
- Apply in the meantime to a post-bacc program at a nearby university (and hopefully get in!)
- Finish post-bacc, get some more volunteer/shadowing experience, and apply to med schools

There is nothing inherently bad about your story or plan or progression. You seem to have a clear understanding of yourself an the process of transition. There is also nothing inherently good about your match for DO schools unless it's for other reason, ie. you like the school.

Take some time with this. Use your most clear-headed self. Think hard. And then just execute and act like you knew what you were doing the whole time. Despite any doubts.

You will be able to convince some people that your skills and your decision are good and sound.

Myself. I would get the BSN and work as a nurse while your putting your applications together. Position yourself clinically to work closely with physicians for LOR's. ie not at some crap hospital med surg unit where the traveling nurses and FMG doc's who are struggling with English don't know each other's names.

That way if it takes you a second cycle your follow through is more convincing.

No adcom in their right mind would pass on a nurse because of some zero-sum cultural game. Of course. Some. Might not be fit for anything useful except judging others and who knows....

Either way. Structuring your own game in life on the basis of some possible negative projections of strangers....is just the wrong way to do it. Every time.

Speaking as a nurse who just got accepted to medical school (DO) it's not impossible to do. I also have interviews at two MD schools scheduled. I have not had issues with the BSN--->MD path.

This.
The hospital I am volunteering at has a DO MS4 with a BSN. DO schools tend to be more open-minded with regards to applicants' backgrounds.

This.
The hospital I am volunteering at has a DO MS4 with a BSN. DO schools tend to be more open-minded with regards to applicants' backgrounds.

So much reassurance! :) Thanks, guys!

No, I don't think you should quit nursing school. If nothing else, it's a stable source of income, provides great clinical experience (much better than anything most premeds do), and can lead to a future career in advance practice nursing if you can't make it into medicine.

However, I think you need to put a lot more time and thought into your science classes. I don't see a single A in there, except in the English classes. That means you can hack writing and reading, which will help on Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample on the MCAT, but that's only half the test.

Nursing classes have very little to do with science classes, so do not think that success in one will mirror in the other.

However, I think you need to put a lot more time and thought into your science classes. I don't see a single A in there, except in the English classes. That means you can hack writing and reading, which will help on Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample on the MCAT, but that's only half the test.

I absolutely agree with this! I'm embarrassed how poorly I did in my freshman/sophomore year. I wasn't as disciplined as I am now. I know I can ace every single post-bacc class I need to take. It wasn't that I wasn't capable of the work, I just wasn't in the right mindset (unfortunately... it's coming back to bite me now, isn't it?). I'm going to work very hard to ace all my post-baccs!

Yes, I think you should quit. This idea that you have to finish stuff just because you have to finish is not one that I endorse. If you know it's not something you want to do, don't do it. It doesn't only come at the expense of time but also at monetary expense. Even if you have a scholarship, it would be best to use that time making money with a job than getting a degree you don't want. Besides, we're talking about nursing school. That's not professional school where you drop after week 4 (for example in law) and you mess it up for the school because the courses are planned out so that a spot is lost forever. Another nursing student could take "intro to pharmacology" if they need it.

Nursing doesn't give you an advantage because you're learning clinical skills irrelevant to medicine. Perhaps you're even learning the wrong skills that will need to be unlearned during medical school. Nurses are trained for a specific job in medicine while doctors in another. Besides, if you take a nursing degree just to get into medical school, you're taking the opportunity to become a nurse from a real nurse.

Just be honest, "I wanted to go into nursing, but as I went through it, I found out that I wanted the autonomy/practice rights/job/etc of a doctor. I wouldn't be happy as a nurse." Legitimate thing to feel, and since it is still within the health field, I don't think it makes you sound indecisive like transitioning from law to med in a short time period.

This is some pretty bad advice. While you are correct that a doctor and a nurse are trained in two entirely different models, the clinical experience aquired as a nurse is almost second to none. If clinical experience were a deciding factor and all else equal, Nursing > shadow/volunteer any-day. PLUS you get paid while getting your clinical experience.

Let's see, what choice would you make if given the chance to start a career that would bring home 50-60k a year, allows you to pick a schedule that fits your life and educational goals, get you up and personal with MDs and DOs, AND has classes that takes care of some of your pre-reqs? For the normal adult who has bills to pay, nursing is a great choice. Obviously she isn't in the IT field anymore for a reason. Obviously she went into nursing for a reason.

Would you throw away a mediocre winning lottery ticket if you found one a few days later that was double the value of the first??? Or would you cash in on both?

This is some pretty bad advice. While you are correct that a doctor and a nurse are trained in two entirely different models, the clinical experience aquired as a nurse is almost second to none. If clinical experience were a deciding factor and all else equal, Nursing > shadow/volunteer any-day. PLUS you get paid while getting your clinical experience.

Let's see, what choice would you make if given the chance to start a career that would bring home 50-60k a year, allows you to pick a schedule that fits your life and educational goals, get you up and personal with MDs and DOs, AND has classes that takes care of some of your pre-reqs? For the normal adult who has bills to pay, nursing is a great choice. Obviously she isn't in the IT field anymore for a reason. Obviously she went into nursing for a reason.

Would you throw away a mediocre winning lottery ticket if you found one a few days later that was double the value of the first??? Or would you cash in on both?

Useful advice. Just to clarify one thing, I am still working full-time in IT. I make mid-60k/year with that. I go to nursing school part-time so the salary would be a little less if I went into work full-time with a BSN compared to what I make now especially since I know I have a 10-15% raise coming in the next year or so.

Useful advice. Just to clarify one thing, I am still working full-time in IT. I make mid-60k/year with that. I go to nursing school part-time so the salary would be a little less if I went into work full-time with a BSN compared to what I make now especially since I know I have a 10-15% raise coming in the next year or so.

Then I assume that you are taking the route you are on due to getting tired of the atmosphere? Didn't mean you made less money in IT. My first thought was possibly tired of the monotony of the field.

I have a friend that was manager at six flags fiesta Tx's IT department. Made mid 80's. Went to RT school and left his higher paying job for a meager 50k a year as a RT. He just got accepted into PA school.

Then I assume that you are taking the route you are on due to getting tired of the atmosphere? Didn't mean you made less money in IT. My first thought was possibly tired of the monotony of the field.

I have a friend that was manager at six flags fiesta Tx's IT department. Made mid 80's. Went to RT school and left his higher paying job for a meager 50k a year as a RT. He just got accepted into PA school.

Yes, going into health care was never for the money for me. I could have a six-figure salary if I stay where I am in another 5-10 years, but honestly I can't see myself doing it. :( Gotta do what makes you happy!