243 on CBSE 8 weeks out, 234 on NBME 17 3 weeks out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxSynapsexX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is really making me angry. Before I started dedicated step time I got a 243 on the CBSE. I thought I would surely hit 250s. Been doing UWORLD, First Aid, pathoma and sketchy meticulously and took NBME 17 and got a 234???? The odd thing is I scored an 89% on NBME 17 and an 85% on the CBSE.

Is NBME 17 normally this much lower compared to other tests?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that NBME 17 tends to underpredict.

FWIW -- I had a similar experience regarding the CBSE and NBME 19: well above average on the CBSE before starting dedicated, and then a lower score on NBME 19 after four weeks of studying. I can only hope that the curve on the actual exam is more reasonable.

I hope that is the case. I just went through the test, got like 9 reproductive questions wrong and made quite a few silly errors. Even so i think its ridiculous that an 89% correct only equates to a 234.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, I think you'll definitely score in the 250s.

I have on month left and starting my second round of my resources so hopefully it should solidy what Ive learned.

Well I took NBME 18 1 week later and scored a 250. I feel like no matter how hard the test is I will always get between 20-25 wrong. Got 20 wrong on NBME 18 and it was a 250. Got 24 wrong on NBME 17 and it translated to 234.

Honestly curving for medical exams just do not make sense to me. I personally don't find questions harder or easier, its either I know it or I don't.

Maybe it would be acceptable to have curves where your scores would vary 2-3 points but a 16 pt difference? Don't think so.

This is really making me angry. Before I started dedicated step time I got a 243 on the CBSE. I thought I would surely hit 250s. Been doing UWORLD, First Aid, pathoma and sketchy meticulously and took NBME 17 and got a 234???? The odd thing is I scored an 89% on NBME 17 and an 85% on the CBSE.

Is NBME 17 normally this much lower compared to other tests?
From what I hear nbme 17 has a strict curve. Try taking another nbme and see where you stand?
Also how did you do so well on the cbse, mind sharing what you did?

So from what I've been reading 17/19 have harsh curves and 18 is the most fair?

So from what I've been reading 17/19 have harsh curves and 18 is the most fair?
Yeah the curves are very harsh. I can't speak for the difficulty, I honestly felt like they were all similar to me. My problem has never been with difficulty of questions more with just not knowing certain topics well. I think I especially did not as well on NBME 17 because it had a lot of reproductive, endocrinology, physiology which are all topics I struggle with.

I have heard NBME 18 is fairly more difficult but I was still scoring about 87-90% on all the NBMES which is why I feel the score reports and curves aren't accurate for me.

From what I hear nbme 17 has a strict curve. Try taking another nbme and see where you stand?
Also how did you do so well on the cbse, mind sharing what you did?

I am not really sure it was so unexpected, the frustrating thing is I didnt improve as much as I hoped from the CBSEs. I think the CBSE favored my strengths that day. Also I had a good pre-dedicated study routine. Finished USMLE rx and did a 10,000 card Anki deck based on first aid which I loved because each question had a picture of the page of first aid that the info can be found which helped build great visual memory and give a good map in my mind of first aid material.

I honestly feel RX is better than Kaplan, I did some kaplan and felt their questions were too nitpicky. USMLE RX was known for being easy in the past but I have been averaging 60ish percents and I heard the recently improved their questions to be more like STEP/UWORLD. Still not the best but after taking step, definetely feel like RX is better than kaplan for the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I got my step score back... my worst fears came true... got a 234..

After busting my ass getting 240s-250s on practices consistently, I suppose I choked, I suppose its bad luck, whatever this number defines me.

Cant believe how Hard I studied for that dumb exam, I gave my life to it for 4-5 months and thought I did well,, guess not.

Well I got my step score back... my worst fears came true... got a 234..

After busting my ass getting 240s-250s on practices consistently, I suppose I choked, I suppose its bad luck, whatever this number defines me.

Cant believe how Hard I studied for that dumb exam, I gave my life to it for 4-5 months and thought I did well,, guess not.

Sorry to hear that. Would you say that the actual exam had questions more similar to USMLE Rx, Kaplan, or USMLE world? Thanks.