• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

25 and older club

LBS615

LBS615
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
149
0
43
Boca Raton, Fl.
  1. Pharmacy Student
    Thought I would try to start a thread like the pre-dental and dent students did for older students. Anybody over the age of 25 starting pharmacy school this fall? Doing it as a second career? I am 26 and starting in aug (will be 27 then). It is a 2nd career for me. Any older students worried about the debt you will have coming out of school ( if you are going to a private school like I am going to be?) I am planning on working 5-10 hours a week per diem for the hopsital I work for now (hey they said I can get $25-35/hr per diem- not bad!) while in school. I am worried about balancing school, relationships, and work. What areas of pharmacy are you looking to specialize in or focus on? Just thought I would throw out a few questions to try to get this thread going! :cool:
     

    Glycerin

    Commercially Unavailable
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 18, 2004
    3,341
    5
    Squint your eyes and look closer.
    1. Pharmacist
      LBS615 said:
      Thought I would try to start a thread like the pre-dental and dent students did for older students. Anybody over the age of 25 starting pharmacy school this fall? Doing it as a second career? I am 26 and starting in aug (will be 27 then). It is a 2nd career for me. Any older students worried about the debt you will have coming out of school ( if you are going to a private school like I am going to be?) I am planning on working 5-10 hours a week per diem for the hopsital I work for now (hey they said I can get $25-35/hr per diem- not bad!) while in school. I am worried about balancing school, relationships, and work. What areas of pharmacy are you looking to specialize in or focus on? Just thought I would throw out a few questions to try to get this thread going! :cool:

      I'm 26 and will begin pharmacy school in the fall as well. I'm not worried about the debt, though. This is a career that I've worked hard to get into, and I've been around it long enough to know without a doubt that it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. I would like to do a residency after school and work in pediatrics, pending any other influences while in school. :)
       

      blueclassring

      Senior Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jan 7, 2005
      535
      6
      1. Pharmacist
        I'll be applying to pharmacy school this summer/fall. I'll be 27 when I enter a program if I get accepted. My first career was as a chemical engineer, but I've always wanted to become a pharmacist. I have a hill to climb(take pcats, take several courses, work in a pharmacy, work full time, and do ec/community service) but it will all be worth it if i can get into a program. I'm not worried about the debt, I'll be able to pay for half of it on my own. That leaves about 60-70 k in loans which may be payable in two to three years.
         
        About the Ads

        Gizmo

        ?
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Nov 4, 2004
        201
        0
        1. Pharmacist
          I just submitted my application essays yester, ending my application process. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the pharmacy school. Hope I get in this fall. If I do, I'll be 27 when I begin my pharmacy studies. I'm not worried about the debt. I have at least $25K in student loans from my undergrad degree already, and they're in deferment as as long as I'm in school. My monthly payments aren't high anyway. My spouse will be supporting me while I'm in school, so I don't forsee needing to work beyond what the pharmacy school requires. If I don't get in this year, then I'll just work full time as a pharm tech to save money for when I do get in. I'll keep trying until I get in.....oh, and I would like to do hospital pharmacy.
           

          freshbeatschris

          New Phuture
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          May 17, 2004
          449
          0
          46
          Illinois
          1. Pharmacy Student
            I'm 29 and will be 30 when I hope to start pharm school next year. As to the cost of school...Loans. That's the only way I'm doing it. Relationships? I pretty much don't plan on having any aside from peers and instructors. I graduated with a B.A. in PHOTOGRAPHY in 1998, just to give you an idea of the polar opposite career you could possibly go into. I teach a couple photo classes right now.

            I actually have been thinking about getting a couple more tattoos. An image representing Art on one shoulder blade and an image representing science on the other and eventually some day they will meet across my back. Pretty much the story of my life thus far.

            Chris
             

            dgroulx

            Night Pharmacist
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 10, 2003
            2,642
            7
            Woodinville, Washington
            1. Pharmacist
              I'm 48 and have 2 years left to go. I also have undergrad loans to pay off. I'll have about 100K of debt, but I should be able to pay it off quickly. After taxes and 401K, I should still be taking home close to 5K per month. I think I can afford payments for 10 years.
               

              kayjay

              Senior Member
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 14, 2004
              155
              0
              38
                dgroulx said:
                I'm 48 and have 2 years left to go. I also have undergrad loans to pay off. I'll have about 100K of debt, but I should be able to pay it off quickly. After taxes and 401K, I should still be taking home close to 5K per month. I think I can afford payments for 10 years.

                Haven't really thought about it..but now that you brought it up, that's like $60,000/yr after taxes and 401k.

                A question to the pharmacists..don't know if this is too much if a personal question, but if you wanna share, how much do you really make after taxes and 401k? The issue of having to pay off my loans (undergrad and pharm school..my undergrad loans are sky high already as it is :eek: ) after pharm school is starting to get to me. :scared:
                 

                soopapharm

                SoopaPharm
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Dec 23, 2004
                18
                0
                44
                San Francisco, CA
                  I will be 28 at the start of school this coming Fall, assuming I get in. I am not too worried about the debt. It would be nice to avoid but I don't have that kind of money laying around to pay for school. I am willing to take on the debt to get into the profession of pharmacy. Eventually they'll get paid off. I think after becoming a pharmacist I will be making enough money so that I won't have to decide between eating and paying my student loans. If that was going to be the case then maybe I would reconsider.

                  Right now I am thinking of pursuing nuclear pharmacy or hospital pharmacy. I will also throw in a consideration for psychiatric pharmacy - must be my background in psychology drawing me in. I guess I won't really know for sure until I get in and get my hands dirty. Nonetheless I am really looking forward to getting started - all this waiting during the application process is killing me!
                   

                  adventurer

                  Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Dec 19, 2004
                  68
                  0
                    I will am 29 and will be starting school this fall. I have pretty minimal debts from undergrad so far, but part of that is because of my G.I bill. I am also going to rely on loans to get me through. I suppose that working 5-10 hours per week would be worth it, if I were making $25/hour (lucky you!) but as I would be using work study, it wouldn't be worth it to me. I hope to "enjoy" the experience as much as possible! My boyfriend and I are house shopping right now, and luckily he has a good job (although that means the house we will buy can't be in Baltimore, near my school, so that kind of stinks.) I think I will want to go into retail, with the idea of owning my own small pharmacy in my rural hometown eventually.
                     

                    MikeC

                    New Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    Feb 2, 2005
                    2
                    0
                      I'm long winded, forgive me... :)

                      Almost 32 and I'll be starting pre-pharmacy courses this fall--still a long ways to go obviously.

                      I decided I wanted to join the real world (what was I thinking?!) and dropped out of college at 19. Ended up becoming a truck driver--not exactly my dream job, but it had it's moments for a cpl years. Then the last few years I was doing it really sucked.

                      A few years ago I started having problems related to sleep. I couldn't sleep for more than an hour or 2 at a time, but couldn't stay awake for more than 2-3 hours. After a ridiculous amount of time and number of tests, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. Obviously driving an 80,000lb vehicle is no longer an option, lol. Bit of a blessing in disguise I guess since I had gotten to the point where I hated doing that anwyay, but was in a rut.

                      Anyway, after getting on some medication that helped, I started becoming rather fascinated at how a mere 10mg of something could make such a huge differance in my life, and started doing a bit of independent research into pharmacology. I knew I needed to go back to school and find a new career, and my newly sparked interest in pharmacology led me to take a CC program to become a CPhT. While I found it to still be interesting, the studying for a tech was (and I'm not trying to be egotistical, this is just the way it was) a total joke to me--ended up passing the certification test about 6 months before the test date they anticipated us to take.

                      So, now I'm looking for a job working as a tech while I start work on pre-pharm requirements. Hoping I can knock them out in 3 years (2 years of FT course work in 3 years should be doable I'd think, even with working)

                      After that's taken care of, hope to enter pharmacy school in one of the 3 yr accelerated programs. Since I'll probably be 35 by then it'd be nice to finish up in 3 years instead of another 4.

                      As for which area of pharmacy to go into, obviously I have a long ways to go before I have to make that decision, but I've had a few thoughts on the subject.

                      Ideally, in a perfect world, I'd love to open my own independent retail store. The area I'm from has grown enough where I'm quite sure there would be enough of a customer base to support a store and the next closest town with any pharmacies is about 25-30 minutes away. The problem with that of course would be the number of hours I'd be required to put in. It'd basically be a 10 hour a day, 6 day a week job, and then how much can I trust a temp. pharmacist from an agency if I ever wanted to take a vacation? The only way I could see it working out would be if I found another pharmacist that wanted to be in the same area and partner up.

                      So, I think I'll probably look into a hospital pharmacy. Looking through ads, I've seen a few of those type of jobs advertising a schedule of working 12 hour days for 7 days and then having 7 days off. I'd much rather work that type of schedule than the traditional 5 on/2 off.
                       

                      jemc2000

                      SDN Angel
                      7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Dec 13, 2003
                      563
                      0
                      57
                      Lakeland, FL
                        I'm currently 40. Doubt I'll get accepted this year, but perhaps next, which would put me at 45 when I graduate. I dream of going into a pediatric clinical setting, but we shall see. As for relationships, I have a husband and 4 kids and so far they all still like me most of the time. :lol

                        Good luck!
                         
                        About the Ads

                        LBS615

                        LBS615
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Jan 24, 2005
                        149
                        0
                        43
                        Boca Raton, Fl.
                        1. Pharmacy Student
                          I think that it is really great that we are all going for pharmacy and working hard for it! I should be 30- almost 31 when I finish. As of now I want to work in IV nutrition therapy/home infusion and hopefully pass the ASPEN(American Society for Parental and Enteral Nutrition) exam for pharmacists after I graduate. This way I can use my background in nutrition (being that I am a registered dietitian, and I want to maintain those credentials.) I have also thought of doing that part-time and working retail part time. A pharmacist at my hospital said that you can make good $ working two per diem or part time jobs (no benefits but higher wages). I do hope the salaries we earn will help to cover the loans ;) , since I will have around $140,000 from grad and pharm school. As far as relationships I am a little worried- as is my boyfriend. When he was in law school he said a lot of couples (one in which one person was in law school and the other wasn't) broke up. Friends I know who have gone through pharm school have said the same- that couples break up or get married. We are trying to stay positive. I think it really is about time management and managing stress. For those of you with families- I have to give it to you- when I was in grad school I had women in my classes who worked all day and had children and at the same time were pregnant- they were amazing how they juggled it all! I am glad to see that it will not be all 18, 19, and 20 year olds in pharm school. Good Luck to all in getting in where you want. Hey- anyone going to Nova- that is where I will be going. Lets try to keep this thread going for those of us 25 and up. :laugh:
                           

                          LBS615

                          LBS615
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jan 24, 2005
                          149
                          0
                          43
                          Boca Raton, Fl.
                          1. Pharmacy Student
                            Jonno1288 said:
                            I'm... 19. lol, sorry, i couldn't resist. But I just wanted to say that I have tremendous respect for those of you going back to college and further pursuing your education. You guys rock.

                            No... you rock! Thanks for the great message. Good luck with your endeavors too! :)
                             

                            gds.

                            Junior Member
                            10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Nov 14, 2004
                            20
                            0
                              I'll be 34 when I apply for the 2006 class.

                              Debt? Who doesn't have debt nowadays? Just another fact of life. It won't be so bad as long as you know how to manage your money before, during and after pharmacy school. Besides, getting your PharmD is worth it.

                              Relationships? I'm married, no kids, 2 cats. My hubby is well aware of the potential stresses (financial, emotional, etc.) that pharmacy school might bring. What's important is his understanding and support.

                              Work during school? It depends on the person and their time management skills. Some opt not to work and just concentrate on school. I still want to work during school for extra cash and good health insurance and keep in touch with the "real" pharmacy world.

                              I'm a hospital pharmacy buyer now. I'm not sure if I will continue to be in hospital pharmacy. I know that the field of pharmacy is extensive so I want to keep myself open to all the possibilities out there.
                               

                              Smilescali

                              Almost there...
                              10+ Year Member
                              7+ Year Member
                              May 21, 2004
                              623
                              5
                              Beach Land
                              1. Pharmacist
                                I am 28 and am hoping to apply next year to USN so I will be 30 if I get in for 2006. (It is a long shot with only pharmacy prereqs and tons of political science credits.) I wish I had figured out what profession I was suited for earlier, but you live and you learn.

                                I have a 2 year old son and a wonderful part time husband:) (He is away 3 or 4 days a week!) :thumbdown:
                                 

                                mystiqx

                                ~M
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Jan 21, 2005
                                71
                                0
                                New York
                                  I'm 24 and will be turning 25 this summer, i just found out two seconds ago that i won't be able to apply to pharm school in maryland for fall 2006 which is kinda disappointing to me. But anyway when it comes down to it with the application deadline changes i'll be 27 if i get apcepted in 2007. Alot of my friends are already in professional schools (med and dental) and they are way younger that i am, so i was feeling really left behind. lo and behold someone started this thread and i realise that its not a big deal if i start at 27 or 57, and i should just spend the extra year working on my pre-reqs and trying to get grades as competitive as possible. All of you who have families etc are really great inspirations and reading your stories strengthens my hope and my determination that i can get this done. Soooo. a big THANK YOU

                                  ~M :)
                                   

                                  tetra327

                                  Member
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Jan 18, 2005
                                  68
                                  0
                                  41
                                  Maryland
                                    When I start in Fall 2005 I will be 25. I could have kicked myself for not applying right after I got my undergrad degree but what can you do. Also when you think about the average age of the entering student I guess I'm normal, maybe the schools like to see some outside experience versus a totally green student.
                                     

                                    cangara

                                    Member
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Dec 26, 2004
                                    43
                                    0
                                      I'll be 26 when I start the pharmacy program this Fall. I am actually very glad that I didn't apply right after I graduated, because it made me realize my ultimate passion in the field. In addition to volunteering at the VA pharmacy, I work for Alzheimer's and Sleep Laboratories and made me realize the problems that arise during aging. Thus, the area of practice that interest me is a combination of pharamaceutical research and retail pharmacy. I want to do both since I feel that I have more things that I can offer in research since I am people person and has a lot of passion in helping others.

                                      I think we should not think about our age, but the accomplishments that we have achieved. I am very glad that I waited for three years before applying, because I accomplished a lot of things. These includes multiple research publications, and buying my first car and house. We should think of "taking a brake from school" as an investment, because it will make our application stronger when applying to pharmacy school, and learn the life that we all have to face after getting the degree. Be optimistic and focus on the positive side of being an older applicant. :thumbup:
                                       

                                      LBS615

                                      LBS615
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Jan 24, 2005
                                      149
                                      0
                                      43
                                      Boca Raton, Fl.
                                      1. Pharmacy Student
                                        I just have to say that it is getting a little old with all of these doctors vs. pharmacy threads (not this thread but other ones). What is the deal with the competitivness?? I really think it is for those out there who are still undecided on what to do. It gets tiring hearing people refer to pharmacists as pill counters and pharmacy school being a joke. I have heard from doctors (I work in a hospital) who think pharmacy school can be just as hard as med school. No doctor I work with refers to the pharmacist as a pill counter- they rely on the pharmD for their expertise in drug interactions. So enough of these stupid arguments. Each profession is very important and very needed and neither one is "better" than the other. No one here should be belittleing what another wants to do with their lives or downplaying another health related field. In the health field arena every discpline relies on the other to get the job done- you know, like no man is an island.
                                        But besides that it is great to see everyone responding to this thread. It seems like everyone is very dedicated- and will be very comitted to the field of pharmacy.
                                         
                                        About the Ads

                                        Jeddevil

                                        Senior Member
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        7+ Year Member
                                        Jan 22, 2005
                                        294
                                        0
                                        In a van down by the river!
                                        1. Pharmacist
                                          I am 29, almost 30 and in my first year of pharmacy school. People need to remember that there is good vs. bad debt. Going even a couple hundred grand in debt for a 100K a year job is good debt. Pharmacy school will provide that as long as you plan on practicing in one of the hot markets, and all other markets will be up to that pay level before too long anyways. The way to get there is loans for the vast majority of us, so don't stress about it. It's only money! You will make enough to manage payments on that debt.

                                          This is my second time around at school, (my wife feels like it is my fifth). I am at MWU Glendale and there are plenty of people in my class my age. We are all going back for one reason or another, and I am proud of everyone with the guts to do it. Pharmacy school isn't easy, (I won't ever say it is as hard as med school, because that isn't true, at least at my school) but it can be managed as long as you stick to the end goal of attaining a career that will take care of yourself for the next 20-30 years. If you can't live on 100K and have to have more, pick another career because you will not get rich being a pharmacist only. But, you can have a damn comfortable life as a Pharmacist if you don't go crazy after school. I little story as an example:: I am very close to a pharmacist who graduated a couple years ago and is strapped now. It isn't the student loans that have done it to him, but it is the new car, huge new home, and credit card debt accumulated traveling and on other "needed" possesions that have now put him in financial bondage. This friend didn't have much growing up, so when he came out and saw that he was making 100K with a little overtime, he thought he struck it rich. He spent like he had since it is real easy getting credit in todays economy. Now he works around the clock to pay those extra payments. Life isn't any easier now after school that it was before for my friend.

                                          Moral of story: Pharmacists make decent money, but 100K doesn't go far at all anymore, and is nowhere close to real money. You can live comfortable on it if you control yourself. 100K does not put you in CEO money, so you don't need to try to live like them, you don't need new high dollar cars, etc. You will be able to possibly manage the debt through working 60 hours a week, but you will still be a slave to the debt, always trying to get out of it, and not getting net worth. What a shame it is to see someone who makes 100K a year have no real net worth, as a very small % of Americams can actually make 100K a year. Don't worry about Pharmacy debt unless you are going to spend like a rockstar after school. Remember, WE ARE NOT ROCK STARS, but we can have very comfortable lives if we control "keeping up with the Jones's."

                                          Good luck to all in the school work.
                                           

                                          teachtopharm?

                                          Member
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Jan 28, 2005
                                          30
                                          0
                                            cangara said:
                                            I think we should not think about our age, but the accomplishments that we have achieved. I am very glad that I waited for three years before applying, because I accomplished a lot of things. These includes multiple research publications, and buying my first car and house. We should think of "taking a brake from school" as an investment, because it will make our application stronger when applying to pharmacy school, and learn the life that we all have to face after getting the degree. Be optimistic and focus on the positive side of being an older applicant. :thumbup:


                                            Amen to that! I will be 25 when I start. I think that my experiences since being in school have been more important than my "prereqs" and "stats." I have to believe that I have learned and experienced so much that will set me apart from "traditional" applicants, such as...

                                            1. financial independence is overrated
                                            2. ALL the money i make is sucked up by bills
                                            3. work is not as fun as school
                                            4. there is no "perfect" anything in life (partner, career, goal). only what I make of it

                                            You people are great! I am so impressed by everyone's stories.
                                             

                                            teachtopharm?

                                            Member
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            5+ Year Member
                                            Jan 28, 2005
                                            30
                                            0
                                              LBS615 said:
                                              I just have to say that it is getting a little old with all of these doctors vs. pharmacy threads (not this thread but other ones). What is the deal with the competitivness?? I really think it is for those out there who are still undecided on what to do. It gets tiring hearing people refer to pharmacists as pill counters and pharmacy school being a joke. I have heard from doctors (I work in a hospital) who think pharmacy school can be just as hard as med school. No doctor I work with refers to the pharmacist as a pill counter- they rely on the pharmD for their expertise in drug interactions. So enough of these stupid arguments. Each profession is very important and very needed and neither one is "better" than the other. No one here should be belittleing what another wants to do with their lives or downplaying another health related field. In the health field arena every discpline relies on the other to get the job done- you know, like no man is an island.
                                              But besides that it is great to see everyone responding to this thread. It seems like everyone is very dedicated- and will be very comitted to the field of pharmacy.

                                              I too am sick of the MD vs. pharmD arguments! what a waste of time. If only these people could get some perspective and realize that real adults with real jobs do not need to bicker about whose professional school is harder/smarter/better/sexier. We need pharmacists, we need doctors, we need NBA stars (well, not really), just as much as we need nurse aids, pharm techs, bus drivers, and janitors. People who are mature and secure in their life and their choices don't need to justify it to some stranger on an internet forum. Although it is entertaining imagining that people are actually taking it seriously when some whiney premed child tries to discuss professional issues. Hee hee!
                                               

                                              Jeddevil

                                              Senior Member
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              7+ Year Member
                                              Jan 22, 2005
                                              294
                                              0
                                              In a van down by the river!
                                              1. Pharmacist
                                                teachtopharm? said:
                                                Although it is entertaining imagining that people are actually taking it seriously when some whiney premed child tries to talk about professional issues. Hee hee!


                                                Can I hear an Amen from the crowd?? Whiney and child being the keywords. My dad could kick his dad's butt you know.
                                                 

                                                teachtopharm?

                                                Member
                                                10+ Year Member
                                                5+ Year Member
                                                Jan 28, 2005
                                                30
                                                0
                                                  Jeddevil said:
                                                  Can I hear an Amen from the crowd?? Whiney and child being the keywords. My dad could kick his dad's butt you know.

                                                  Oh yeah, well MY dad's an MD, and YOUR dad is just a DO!!! And of course we have that delinquent cousin who was so messed up and dumb, he only went to PHARMACY school. What an underachiever. :laugh:
                                                   

                                                  LBS615

                                                  LBS615
                                                  10+ Year Member
                                                  5+ Year Member
                                                  Jan 24, 2005
                                                  149
                                                  0
                                                  43
                                                  Boca Raton, Fl.
                                                  1. Pharmacy Student
                                                    Just got home from happy hour- have to work tom at the hospital :( . But at least tom night my boyfriend and I can go out- and then superbowl sunday even though I am a Bills fan, going to cheer for the Pats- keep it in the AFC!)However I really liked Jedevil's posts- good stuff! It makes me really look foward to starting pharmacy school with people like you! I am also glad that people agree with me on those annoying (but I agree amusing) MD vs. PharmD threads- thanks!
                                                     
                                                    About the Ads

                                                    Stephie

                                                    Senior Member
                                                    10+ Year Member
                                                    7+ Year Member
                                                    Jul 2, 2004
                                                    276
                                                    0
                                                    California
                                                      Hi everyone! Right now I'm taking Chem II after not taking a lab science course since high school (about 10 years ago). I had to work really hard in Chem I but am having an easier time with chem II so far. My question is- Is there less math in Organic Chem? I was looking through an Organic Chem textbook and it looked like less math and more diagrams, etc.

                                                      I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
                                                       

                                                      Betty'sBeast

                                                      Senior Member
                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                      5+ Year Member
                                                      Nov 24, 2004
                                                      153
                                                      0
                                                      Sunny Florida
                                                        Stephie said:
                                                        Hi everyone! Right now I'm taking Chem II after not taking a lab science course since high school (about 10 years ago). I had to work really hard in Chem I but am having an easier time with chem II so far. My question is- Is there less math in Organic Chem? I was looking through an Organic Chem textbook and it looked like less math and more diagrams, etc.

                                                        I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
                                                        There is VERY little math in O-chem. % yield and grams to mols is about the only math I've done in O-chem I and II.
                                                         

                                                        Stephie

                                                        Senior Member
                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                        7+ Year Member
                                                        Jul 2, 2004
                                                        276
                                                        0
                                                        California
                                                          Wow! I had no idea there was so little math in OChem. What makes OChem so hard then? I've been told that it requires a ton of memorization. Do people usually do better in Chem or OChem? Or maybe it depends on your strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for the input. After being out of school for a while I'm looking forward to some classes that aren't so math based.
                                                           

                                                          Gizmo

                                                          ?
                                                          10+ Year Member
                                                          7+ Year Member
                                                          Nov 4, 2004
                                                          201
                                                          0
                                                          1. Pharmacist
                                                            I didn't find OChem hard b/c my professor gave really good notes, and she presented the material in a very organized manner that made it easy to memorize the reactions. I would say that OChem depends a lot on how well you can memorize -- at least that's how I see it. Give yourself plenty of time to memorize the reactions and take your time on the exams...the only time I lost points in OChem was when I didn't give myself enough time to take the exam and had to kinda rush through the questions. (I like Chem 2 the least of all chems; anybody else feel the same about Chem 2? Maybe it's 'cause I took it during the summer and it was very intense.....:p)
                                                             

                                                            Smilescali

                                                            Almost there...
                                                            10+ Year Member
                                                            7+ Year Member
                                                            May 21, 2004
                                                            623
                                                            5
                                                            Beach Land
                                                            1. Pharmacist
                                                              G Chem 2 is way harder for me (Kinetics, equilibrium and acid-base) Yuck! Professors always seem to make the exams look like you have never seen any of the material before. (Meanwhile you have studied TONS!) I am bracing for a B in Gchem 2! :)
                                                               

                                                              freshbeatschris

                                                              New Phuture
                                                              10+ Year Member
                                                              5+ Year Member
                                                              May 17, 2004
                                                              449
                                                              0
                                                              46
                                                              Illinois
                                                              1. Pharmacy Student
                                                                Jeddevil said:
                                                                100K does not put you in CEO money, so you don't need to try to live like them, you don't need new high dollar cars, etc. Remember, WE ARE NOT ROCK STARS, but we can have very comfortable lives if we control "keeping up with the Jones's."

                                                                Good luck to all in the school work.

                                                                Hey, now... I DREAM of the day I'm tooling around in my classic muscle car (no mercedes, beemers, or jaguars for this girl)... and does this mean that I can't head to my local biker bar on karaoke night and jam out Zeppelin and FEEL like a rock star! That's livin' the dream, baby!!!

                                                                Chris
                                                                 

                                                                LBS615

                                                                LBS615
                                                                10+ Year Member
                                                                5+ Year Member
                                                                Jan 24, 2005
                                                                149
                                                                0
                                                                43
                                                                Boca Raton, Fl.
                                                                1. Pharmacy Student
                                                                  FutureRxGal said:
                                                                  I agree. It was that way for me when I took it.


                                                                  I thought Chem 2 was easier than Orgo 1 and that orgo 2 was easier than orgo1. I know most people think orgo 2 was harder. i took orgo 1 when i was 19 and just took orgo 2 when I was 26 this past fall- so a lot of time went by but i still remembered a lot. The material does stick with you.
                                                                   

                                                                  Betty'sBeast

                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                  10+ Year Member
                                                                  5+ Year Member
                                                                  Nov 24, 2004
                                                                  153
                                                                  0
                                                                  Sunny Florida
                                                                    Stephie said:
                                                                    Wow! I had no idea there was so little math in OChem. What makes OChem so hard then? I've been told that it requires a ton of memorization. Do people usually do better in Chem or OChem? Or maybe it depends on your strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for the input. After being out of school for a while I'm looking forward to some classes that aren't so math based.
                                                                    What makes it difficult is that pretty much every chapter is somrthing new that has nothing to do with the previous chapter. Nothing is really difficult, it is just all completely new. As long as you read the chapters and learn the basic mechanisms along the way, you'll be just fine. Jacksonville was an AWESOME SUPER BOWL HOST!
                                                                     

                                                                    Betty'sBeast

                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    10+ Year Member
                                                                    5+ Year Member
                                                                    Nov 24, 2004
                                                                    153
                                                                    0
                                                                    Sunny Florida
                                                                      freshbeatschris said:
                                                                      Hey, now... I DREAM of the day I'm tooling around in my classic muscle car (no mercedes, beemers, or jaguars for this girl)... and does this mean that I can't head to my local biker bar on karaoke night and jam out Zeppelin and FEEL like a rock star! That's livin' the dream, baby!!!

                                                                      Chris
                                                                      What's your classic? My Mom just gave me her 1968 Camaro, all original, in the family since 1969, will NEVER sell it! I feel your muscle car need! I'll be at the bar when you get there!
                                                                       

                                                                      freshbeatschris

                                                                      New Phuture
                                                                      10+ Year Member
                                                                      5+ Year Member
                                                                      May 17, 2004
                                                                      449
                                                                      0
                                                                      46
                                                                      Illinois
                                                                      1. Pharmacy Student
                                                                        Betty'sBeast said:
                                                                        What's your classic? My Mom just gave me her 1968 Camaro, all original, in the family since 1969, will NEVER sell it! I feel your muscle car need! I'll be at the bar when you get there!

                                                                        That sounds like a sweet ride. Mine is a 1970, dual exhaust, 454, cherry red Chevy Chevelle. :thumbup: My mother used to actually own a Chevelle in the 70's... she got rid of it. :mad: Looks like I'm going to have to earn my baby with hard work and determination.
                                                                         

                                                                        LBS615

                                                                        LBS615
                                                                        10+ Year Member
                                                                        5+ Year Member
                                                                        Jan 24, 2005
                                                                        149
                                                                        0
                                                                        43
                                                                        Boca Raton, Fl.
                                                                        1. Pharmacy Student
                                                                          I was in my microecon class today and the topic of patents came up. A girl- i think who is a business major stated that drug companies could only have a patent for 2 years. I was not sure if this was accurate information she gave but i told the class i would find out. Anyone know how long a patet lasts on a drug?
                                                                           

                                                                          jemc2000

                                                                          SDN Angel
                                                                          7+ Year Member
                                                                          15+ Year Member
                                                                          Dec 13, 2003
                                                                          563
                                                                          0
                                                                          57
                                                                          Lakeland, FL
                                                                            LBS615 said:
                                                                            I was in my microecon class today and the topic of patents came up. A girl- i think who is a business major stated that drug companies could only have a patent for 2 years. I was not sure if this was accurate information she gave but i told the class i would find out. Anyone know how long a patet lasts on a drug?

                                                                            Drug patents grant biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies the exclusive right to sell covered drug for a period of 20 years from the date of patent filing. Because patents must be applied for before the start of the clinical trial process that demonstrates drugs to be safe and effective, the effective life of drug patents tends to be 7-12 years.

                                                                            website
                                                                             

                                                                            Asor

                                                                            SDN Donor
                                                                            10+ Year Member
                                                                            5+ Year Member
                                                                            Jan 17, 2005
                                                                            123
                                                                            0
                                                                            Las Vegas
                                                                            1. Pharmacy Student
                                                                              Smilescali said:
                                                                              I am 28 and am hoping to apply next year to USN so I will be 30 if I get in for 2006. (It is a long shot with only pharmacy prereqs and tons of political science credits.) I wish I had figured out what profession I was suited for earlier, but you live and you learn.

                                                                              I have a 2 year old son and a wonderful part time husband:) (He is away 3 or 4 days a week!) :thumbdown:

                                                                              I can totally relate about having a part-time husband. My hubby is active duty military and he's currently gone on his 1 year remote tour to S. Korea. I'm raising my two kids by myself right now. My son turned 3 today and my daughter is 4. I started my pharm prereqs last year and only have O. Chem II and Calculus left. I applied to USN and interviewed with them last month. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out. Oh, did I leave my age out... I'll be 31 this April.

                                                                              Good luck to the rest of you on this thread--it's so encouraging to read all of your comments and very refreshing. Ciao!
                                                                               

                                                                              LBS615

                                                                              LBS615
                                                                              10+ Year Member
                                                                              5+ Year Member
                                                                              Jan 24, 2005
                                                                              149
                                                                              0
                                                                              43
                                                                              Boca Raton, Fl.
                                                                              1. Pharmacy Student
                                                                                jemc2000 said:
                                                                                Drug patents grant biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies the exclusive right to sell covered drug for a period of 20 years from the date of patent filing. Because patents must be applied for before the start of the clinical trial process that demonstrates drugs to be safe and effective, the effective life of drug patents tends to be 7-12 years.

                                                                                website


                                                                                Thanks for the info- I will relay it in class next week! :D
                                                                                 
                                                                                About the Ads
                                                                                This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                                                                Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                                                1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                                                7. This thread is locked.