25 and older club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:) This is my very first post!

I'm 29 and will be 30 on July 4. I am working on my application to the University of Kentucky - Early Decision - for admission in 2006.

I worked in non-profit administration until the end of April. I've been taking my pre-reqs since last August. Now, with no job - I get to concentrate on school, which is good because I'm taking Orgo I & II this summer.

I live in Louisville, KY. My husband is a manager for UPS. We have one daughter who is 17 months old and may I say, totally ADORABLE! :)

What else about me??? I'm a certified drug-abuse prevention professional, can teach poison prevention classes and am the (volunteer) fundraising director for my daughter's daycare/preschool (yes, they start that stuff early!). I love animals, have three cats and may be getting a dog tomorrow.

I have enjoyed lurking on SDN for months. I've gotten a lot out of the various study tips and tidbits of advice I've seen on here. It really helps because
I am very nervous about getting in to pharmacy school. My GPA is > 3.75, but I haven't taken the PCAT yet (will in June) and I don't have any pharmacy experience, nor any time to get some before applying. So we'll see!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.75+ and plenty of public service! As long as you do well on the PCAT, I would say you have a great chance of being admitted. Good luck!

All4MyDaughter said:
:) This is my very first post!

I'm 29 and will be 30 on July 4. I am working on my application to the University of Kentucky - Early Decision - for admission in 2006.

I worked in non-profit administration until the end of April. I've been taking my pre-reqs since last August. Now, with no job - I get to concentrate on school, which is good because I'm taking Orgo I & II this summer.

I live in Louisville, KY. My husband is a manager for UPS. We have one daughter who is 17 months old and may I say, totally ADORABLE! :)

What else about me??? I'm a certified drug-abuse prevention professional, can teach poison prevention classes and am the (volunteer) fundraising director for my daughter's daycare/preschool (yes, they start that stuff early!). I love animals, have three cats and may be getting a dog tomorrow.

I have enjoyed lurking on SDN for months. I've gotten a lot out of the various study tips and tidbits of advice I've seen on here. It really helps because
I am very nervous about getting in to pharmacy school. My GPA is > 3.75, but I haven't taken the PCAT yet (will in June) and I don't have any pharmacy experience, nor any time to get some before applying. So we'll see!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

Welcome to the 25 and older club! I think you sound like you have a great shot at getting into pharm school! I also have 3 cats ( 1 cat and 2 new kittens) and one dog.

Good Luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
Thanks for the friendly welcomes. I just got back from visiting two sweet doggies we were thinking about adopting. My daughter loved them, but she sneezed the whole way home and now I'm itchy! It's distracting me mightily from my Kaplan PCAT book. :laugh:

I am 36. I will be starting pharmacy school at MWU-Glendale in the fall, so I will be just shy of my 40th birthday when I graduate.

I've been in the business world since I was 17. I decided I wanted to change to a career that would satisfy my philanthropic desires. Clinical or nuclear pharmacy are the areas of interests at this time, but that could change, many times over, once I'm in the program.

I am selling my house and will be using the proceeds to help pay for school and living expenses. I plan to live in an apartment on campus. That means major downsizing and selling alot of my furnture and other stuff. It will be an adjustment and a bit of a sacrifice +pity+ but one that I believe will be worth it.

I'm 27, hoping to apply next year for Fall of 2007. I am currently working full time and starting to take Prerequisite classes that I didn't cover in my undergrad career. I'm dreading that O-chem class :scared:

Neurotic_grl said:
I'm 27, hoping to apply next year for Fall of 2007. I am currently working full time and starting to take Prerequisite classes that I didn't cover in my undergrad career. I'm dreading that O-chem class :scared:

you will do fine in o-chem..I took orgo 2 this past Fall- I had taken orgo1 when I was 19- sophmore year- I am now 26- so there was a long time between the two classes..thankfully I passed but it was hard and I had to study a lot.

Hey I haven't posted in a while. It feels good to see that there are all types of people trying to reach the same goal. I have wanted to go to pharmacy school for the last five years and finally the time is right. I'm starting school this June and am very anxious about Org 1-2, along with calculus since it has been about 7 years since I was actively enrolled in college.

I also have a family,hubby and five children between the ages of 1-7. For the last three years I have been a stay at home mother and have been very fulfilled but I always felt like something was missing. I would like to attend school and make sure that I am there for my children when they get out of school at three o'clock.

I am so grateful that I was able to find my passion. I fgured it out when I went through Pharmacy Technician training and I aced all of the tests. I also love working in a pharmacy atmosphere. So hey I am happy to be here! I am just ready to get the show on the road! I got thangs to do!

PharmDmomma said:
Hey I haven't posted in a while. It feels good to see that there are all types of people trying to reach the same goal. I have wanted to go to pharmacy school for the last five years and finally the time is right. I'm starting school this June and am very anxious about Org 1-2, along with calculus since it has been about 7 years since I was actively enrolled in college.

I also have a family,hubby and five children between the ages of 1-7. For the last three years I have been a stay at home mother and have been very fulfilled but I always felt like something was missing. I would like to attend school and make sure that I am there for my children when they get out of school at three o'clock.

I am so grateful that I was able to find my passion. I fgured it out when I went through Pharmacy Technician training and I aced all of the tests. I also love working in a pharmacy atmosphere. So hey I am happy to be here! I am just ready to get the show on the road! I got thangs to do!

I saw that you are from Miami...are you planning to apply to Nova? I will be starting there this Fall.

As for orgo 1 I took at UF with my undergrad program, but I recently took orgo 2 at PBCC this past Fall. I have heard that orgo is easier at MDCC than at BCC.

Good luck with everything. :)

Yes I am going to apply to Nova, and I am hoping that I get in, my whole family is here and it would be perfect. I also have family in Tallahassee so it is between Nova and FAMU. I know that I am going to need my family to help with the kiddies extra curriculars.
LBS615 said:
I saw that you are from Miami...are you planning to apply to Nova? I will be starting there this Fall.

As for orgo 1 I took at UF with my undergrad program, but I recently took orgo 2 at PBCC this past Fall. I have heard that orgo is easier at MDCC than at BCC.

Good luck with everything. :)

I just turned 27, and am starting pharm school this fall. I was previosly in construction for 5 years, but I wanted more out of life, and didn't want to be in my 50's and be still doing physical labor. So I went back to school and realized I loved it!

So, my beautiful wife of 3 weeks and I are now buying a house, and moving our 2 dogs and 3 cats out of state. Fortunately, we are moving to where she grew up and most of her family still lives. I know that undergrad consumed much of my time, as I am a bit of a study-oholic, so I figure we will be spending even less time together in pharm school, but atleast when we can't hang out, she has her family.

Other problem is that she is 32 and wants kids. By the time I get out of school, she will be 36 so we will have to act fast. I had to explain to her that if we had them while I was in school, it would almost be like that she were raising them as a single parent and neither of us want that. I wish it didn't have to be that way, as it is unfair to her. I have to say though, that you single mothers out there that are going to school and are raising kids are like super-women. I don't know how you do it and I know that I couldn't. You are amazing!!!

As far as debt is concerned, I have managed to escape out of undergrad with almost no loans, but out of school tuition is going to bury me. I am not concerned though, it is well worth it, it will be paid off easily, and student loans are tax deductable.

I'll be 27 a month after I start pharm school. It's been a crazy time deciding whether or not to go back to school, but I know that it's the best career move I could make--I don't want to be QC chemist for the rest of my life although I do love it. I'm not too worried about debt--we should be able to handle the bills without too much of a problem and what student loans I get can be paid off after I graduate with no problem. I think the biggest problem I see in my future is that I would like to start a family within the next two/three years--which would be me in the middle of pharm school. I know it's not the best thing to do (and I"ll most likely change my mind once I'm in school), but I don't really think that I want to wait four years to have kids. I don't know if Temple would be up to letting me defer a year to have a kid or if I could plan the timing properly. Crazy. But I've decided not to worry too much about that now. When the time is right to start a family, the time is right. And right now is definitely not the time! :) It will be strange going back to school--it's been four years, and I've absolutely loved not having homework to do each night and on the weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I would join the club...I am 26 years old and would LOVE to be a member of some school's pharmacy class of 2010! I have never really been in job that one would call a career (well, at least not for me). I have a BA in French, and a minor that is saving my life at this point in time (Bio). I have worked as a veterinary tech (which was good, but poop and pee gets old fast, and the pay sucks!), and am currently a pharmacy tech.
Good luck to everyone else! :)

I think this thread is so awesome! Im 27 years old and I cant wait to get into pharmacy school. Im so excited to know that there are other individuals my age or older that are still pressing on. I wish everyone the best of luck! :luck:

I turned 25 just after starting pharm school. I'm now halfway through my P3 year at 27 :D It's weird having classmates that are barely of legal drinking age, but I wouldn't do it any differently. I had so many great experiences when I was getting my first degree (research, conferences, summer research institute, studying abroad) that I wouldn't have been able to do if I had gone straight through. I'm a little worried about when I'm going to fit in the whole family thing, but life has a way of working out. It's been a hard 3 years, but I know it will be worth it come May 2007!

I'm only 24 right now, but by the time I apply and start pharmacy school I will probably be 27 or 28, which puts me at graduating at 31 or 32! And that's assuming that I get in the first time I apply (crossing my fingers).

I know it's a little "late", but it's better than not taking on the challenge. I'm lucky that my family (I'm single, and probably will stay that way) is very supportive. My Mom is just glad that I'm finally taking the plunge and going into health care after talking about it for 6 years. It'll be a big debt when we all graduate, but it's "good debt".

My undergrad GPA is a little low (the result of immaturity and not knowing what I wanted to do in life), so I'm going in a pharmacy tech program and after I'm done with that will start with my prereqs. I'm not sure where all I will apply, but I know that U of Colorado is definitely on the list.

Good luck to everyone!

28 here and just starting pre-pharm. Just got hired at Walgreens as a dismally paid pharm tech, but at least they'll pay to certify me. ;)

I just turned 30 this year and worried about starting pharmacy school (hopefully) at 32. I have a 4.0 GPA (tho that will change - trig sucks!) and I work hard, but my primary worries are not having any extra-cirricular activities and no pharmacy experience. I currently go to school FT, I don't work, but I'm married with 3 kids, so my time is limited, but I know what I want, my family's on board, and somehow we're going to make it work!

I'm pretty new to this board and I think its great! Thanks for all the great posts. I'm so glad to hear that it isn't only youngins around here!

wow, lots of us "older" students out there! I'm 25 and pharmacy is my first career. It took me 5 years to finish my psychobio degree and 2 years of sitting around wondering if I would get into pharmacy school. I've been fortunate to finally realize that I would stop at nothing to pursue my dreams. I finally got my act together this year with the help of a new friend thats a pharmacist that was on the USC admissions committee. Here I am sitting at the computer at work, smiling, thinking of how long I've come to be at this moment in life. Accepted to my 2nd choice pharmacy school with my 1st choice interview Dec 9. Sometimes I hear about kids that are already working as pharmacists and think about how its taken me so long to get to where I am. Then I realize, hey, the tortoise still finished the race, so what if the rabbit got there faster? lol 25's not bad, I'll have a career before I'm 30. Plenty of life left afterwards. I really want to work in a biopharmaceutical company as a pharmacist but I'm also interested in clinical pharmacy. I currently work as a laboratory associate in research & development at a small company that develops antibodies for big pharmaceutical companies. I really like the research side of the field. Hopefully I can explore that aspect of pharmacy as well. When it comes to debt, I already owe a nice lump sum due to my undergraduate education (even though my tuition was covered by grants) so I figure, hey whats another 100 k on the tab?

Wow - you all are making me feel really old! I am 39 and hopefully will be starting next fall in pharmacy school. This will (more or less) be my third career in life. I have a master's degree in chemistry, but became a pharmacy tech so I could eliminate my commute and have a more flexible job around family time. I pretty much knew after about a year (I've been at CVS for 5)that I wanted to stay in pharmacy, but I had to wait until my kids got old enough to be school age before I could even think about going back to school. Anyway, it's really encouraging knowing that there are lot of people out there who also took awhile to figure out what they wanted to be when they grew up :)

I am 28 and in my first semester of taking my prerequisites full time. I am also a career changer. I hope to be done with everything by age 36 or 37. I am looking forward to the shortened holiday week but am very sad I cannot buy an X-Box 360.

Good luck to all the "chronogically challenged" out there.

For those of you who have young kids and are going to school full time, how do you juggle child care? I'm 28, have no children yet, and am trying to figure out when the best time to start a family would be. I will be starting pharmacy school in the Fall, so that means I'll be around 32 when I graduate. Has anyone else started their family in their early 30's? I guess I'll have to wait until school is finished...

Stephie

Stephie said:
For those of you who have young kids and are going to school full time, how do you juggle child care? I'm 28, have no children yet, and am trying to figure out when the best time to start a family would be. I will be starting pharmacy school in the Fall, so that means I'll be around 32 when I graduate. Has anyone else started their family in their early 30's? I guess I'll have to wait until school is finished...

Stephie

I am a very proud mother of a 3-year old son. It is very hard to juggle kids and school. My mom and husband are wonderful as they help me out so much. All of my free time is spent with them, which leaves no time for myself really. That is okay though because it is worth it. However, I am getting worried about pharmacy school (if I get in this year) because I will have to most likely study more and perhaps spend less time with my family

If you can wait until you are done with pharmacy school to have kids then DO THAT! I can't tell you how challenging it is.

Before I had my son I went to school full-time and worked full-time and that was a breeze compared to what my time constraints are now(especially if my son is sick :( ). Time mangement is key! During my breaks at school while everyone else is socializing or just taking a break, I am always busy doing something so I can spend time when I get home with my family.

I also have adapted to much less sleep and actually enjoy my early morning study (quiet) time before my son wakes up. :laugh:

I love my life though, I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful support team, terrific son and I still get to pursue my dream to be a pharmacist :love:

Stephie said:

Stephie

Stephie-
Support, multitasking, and time management are the keys! I have 3 kids ages 1-7 and I am fortunate that my husband works overnight and is VERY supportive of me going to school. I go to school FT in the afternoon and evenings so he sleeps some in the morning while I'm here with the two younger ones. I am lucky he is willing to do as much as he does with the kids and around the house. I too have learned to get by on minimal sleep, using the time everyone is asleep to study or do housework, and its true, any free time I have is devoted to my family. It's not easy, but it's doable. It's all about support and the ability to juggle a lot at once.

In the end, we know it will be all worth it. :D

Thanks for your replies and advice! Right now I'm trying to decide whether it will be more difficult to have a baby during pharm school or right after school when I'm starting my first job. I guess neither one of those choiced is great but I have to fit it in somehow!

Stephie

Stephie said:

Stephie

Stephie, if you can, wait until you are in your first year at your new job. You will get great benefits to cover the birth, and you may have an opportunity to work part time and enjoy the time with your little one.
You deserve that time, because they grow fast!
I have a 12 year old and applying for 2006. Since she can make her own toasted pop tarts, I think I am in good shape. LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Stephie said:
Thanks for your replies and advice! Right now I'm trying to decide whether it will be more difficult to have a baby during pharm school or right after school when I'm starting my first job. I guess neither one of those choiced is great but I have to fit it in somehow!

Stephie
I think you should wait also....having a baby during your time in pharmacy school would be a struggle. Not saying you cant do it, but it would be difficult. Finish school and then have a baby...... :p

My mom had me right in the middle of her last year of Grad School (in February) and she made all A's that semester. :laugh: She thinks some of it was pity points, but really, you can do it if you want to :laugh:

Thanks for the advice guys! I guess it would be better to wait until after pharm school to have kids- I'm just anxious to start a family.

Stephie

I'm 26 right now, and will be 27 when I start pharmacy school in the fall. This is a third career for me - had a lot of jobs since I got my bachelors. Like others have said, I'm glad I didn't go straight into pharmacy after my undergrad. I don't think I would have appreciated it as much as I do now.

I've been an analytical chemist, worked for the state health department in environmental health, and worked as a behavioral health researcher on a few NIH grants. I also managed to get a masters in public health since I left undergrad, so I've got a much broader view, IMHO, of the health sector than if I had just gone into pharmacy straight after my bachelors. On the flip side, I probably would've scored a lot higher in organic and math on the PCAT, but I didn't do poorly them.

I was somewhat worried about going back to school and stopping working, but I've managed to save to cover my living expenses while I'm in school. I will miss my current paycheck and the benefits that are attached (love that dental insurance), but it's well worth it in the long run.

Do any pharmacy schools offer onsite daycare?

Stephie

Stephie-

I am telling you from the bottom of my heart - do not have a baby in pharmacy school. It is very very very hard, you need to devote your time to one thing right now - that is becoming a pharmacist.

My friend was in her third year of pharmacy school, when she became pregnant, she needed more rest, she started sleeping more, studying less, her gpa dropped, she was put on probation and when she had the baby - which is a FULL time job, she could not pull both, her husband needed to work too. She was dismissed from pharmacy school. She is in a huge debt to the bank, and she is just finishing up her B.S., just to get some kind of job.

Please, Please, wait, a few years will not make any difference - devote your attention to what is #1 right now. I am not trying to sound negative, just realistic.

Sincerely,
JordanP

Stephie said:

Stephie

Stephie said:

Stephie

I don't know but maybe a school that is on a hospital site would have a nursery/daycare available. I'm pretty sure that some hospitals have them for their employees.

One of my classmates started off with a 2 month old. She was 7 months preganant during her interview. It can be done, but it is REALLY hard. She isn't having any more until she is out. And, she has been pretty instrumental in convincing one of my other classmates to wait. When you are in school you don't get to enjoy your kids as much as you would otherwise. You are going to be pulled a million ways, and you are often going to be choosing between caring for the child and getting schoolwork done. It's easier not to put yourself in that position.

At UW there is a place where you can go to pump breastmilk privately and to breastfeed. But, there aren't any actually childcare facilities that I am aware of, except for a church down the street. My classmate had this storage unit she toted around and would go pump every few hours.

Thanks so much for all of your replies. It really does seem that the right thing to do would be to wait until pharm school is over to have kids. I'll be 32 then- anybody have any experience or know someone who waited until their early 30's to have kids?

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

Stephie

JordanP said:
Stephie-

I am telling you from the bottom of my heart - do not have a baby in pharmacy school. It is very very very hard, you need to devote your time to one thing right now - that is becoming a pharmacist.

My friend was in her third year of pharmacy school, when she became pregnant, she needed more rest, she started sleeping more, studying less, her gpa dropped, she was put on probation and when she had the baby - which is a FULL time job, she could not pull both, her husband needed to work too. She was dismissed from pharmacy school. She is in a huge debt to the bank, and she is just finishing up her B.S., just to get some kind of job.

Please, Please, wait, a few years will not make any difference - devote your attention to what is #1 right now. I am not trying to sound negative, just realistic.

Sincerely,
JordanP

Thanks JordanP,

Your heartfelt advice is much appreciated. The only reason I was thinking of starting a family before I graduated was because I'll be 32 when I'm through with school. I thought that starting my family then would be hard, but I guess starting a family during school would be even harder. Thanks for the advice!

Stephie

I'll be 29 the summer after I graduate from pharmacy school and I want to enjoy the kid-free adult life w/ my husband (by then) for a couple years before I have children. So I'll be about 32ish when I think about seriously starting a family. More and more women have children later these days.
My aunt had my cousin when she was 39. And he's perfectly healthy and she seems to keep up with him pretty well. :p

I'm 25! I'll be 26 when I start pharm school next fall ( still waiting on those letters though :oops: ).

Stephie, I concur with the other people on the board. It is HARD having a young child and going to school. I was pregnant with my son during my last two quarters in undergrad and it was very difficult. I partly blame his premature birth on the constant overall stress I put myself through with all the schoolwork, midterms, research and finals, etc ( imagine professional school :scared: )... and there was that added stress of being a first-time mother and taking forth all the responsibilities that came with it.

Even after his birth, I found it quite difficult to not focus all my attention on raising him. I decided to stay home (yes, I did do the eBay thing to make a little $$$ on the side) until he was old enough to attend preschool before I continued with my education. Hey, they're only young once! You don't want to miss out on all those special moments. Careers can change, but you'll be a mother for life.

I'm 27. I'll be 28, almost 29 when I start pharmacy school (if I get accepted, that is). Glad to see so many others in my age range. I do look younger though, and tend to attract younger females too. That might be a good thing, being that I'll be in my early thirties when I complete school.

I'll be about 27-28 when I begin pharm school (if I get in). I'm new to all these science material, so for those of you who have taken Chem 1 and/or 2, I want to know how important it is to truely understand it b/c doesn't that all reflect back with Orgo?

So if you don't have a good foundation or great understanding to chem, won't orgo be 20 times harder? just seeing how everyone is handling the science material considering I having a BS in Psych!

Nerdd13 said:
I'll be about 27-28 when I begin pharm school (if I get in). I'm new to all these science material, so for those of you who have taken Chem 1 and/or 2, I want to know how important it is to truely understand it b/c doesn't that all reflect back with Orgo?

So if you don't have a good foundation or great understanding to chem, won't orgo be 20 times harder? just seeing how everyone is handling the science material considering I having a BS in Psych!

General Chemistry is very different from Organic Chemistry. The major concepts you must understand from G-chem are:

1. Acid/Base Chemistry (mainly in G-chem 2) Especially LEWIS Acid/base concepts

2. Periodic trends like electronegativity, acidicy, pKa (acid strength) and atomic radius

3. General Nomenclature

4. LEWIS DOT (Localized electron) and Resonance (delocalized electron) structures

5. Valence Bond and Molecular Orbital theories

Not much math at all in O-chem. G-chem 2 is the heaviest in math (kinetics, equalibrium, Gibbs free energy, enthalpy and entropy).

I thought that G-chem 2 was the hardest when I was taking it, however, for me O-chem is much more difficult to understand concept wise. I just have to try harder.

Hope this helps good luck! :luck:

Smilescali said:
General Chemistry is very different from Organic Chemistry. The major concepts you must understand from G-chem are:

1. Acid/Base Chemistry (mainly in G-chem 2) Especially LEWIS Acid/base concepts

2. Periodic trends like electronegativity, acidicy, pKa (acid strength) and atomic radius

3. General Nomenclature

4. LEWIS DOT (Localized electron) and Resonance (delocalized electron) structures

5. Valence Bond and Molecular Orbital theories

Not much math at all in O-chem. G-chem 2 is the heaviest in math (kinetics, equalibrium, Gibbs free energy, enthalpy and entropy).

I thought that G-chem 2 was the hardest when I was taking it, however, for me O-chem is much more difficult to understand concept wise. I just have to try harder.

Hope this helps good luck! :luck:

Thanks! Yeah i've heard different things about chem 2; some say it was easier than chem 1 and vice versa. thanks for the info.

i am sooo glad there is a forum like this for older students & whom i can relate to. i am 29yrs old now, will be 30yrs next may...i'm in my 2nd professional year right now at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP)...and i totally understand how you guys feel. i had a business logistics degree as an undergrad, worked in the IT industry for 5 yrs, then quitted (very hard decision for me), came back to school full time.

i had to take 1 yr of pre-req so pharmacy school is really 5 yrs for me, rather than 4 yrs (compare to people who already has science background). i am also struggling with decisions when i should would be a good time to get married w/ my bf (probably after my 3rd professional year). and if we should have a kid right after graduation or 1 yr after graduation or during rotation...it's HARD...cuz i will be 32 yrs old when i graduated from school.

USP is a 6 yrs program (majority are students straight from high school) so some of my friends are 21 or 22 yrs old, no way they would understand what i am going through...

i am not sure if it possible to have kid and go to pharm school at the same time, but i see some people on campus w/ big bellies! i don't know how they do it though. it must be hard.

i have a question for everyone - what do you plan to do after you graduate? esp. when you have kids? working part time in retail? hospital? or do you plan to do residency, stick it out, working for another yr or two after residency then have kids (even when you will be 34+)?? i am really struggling between career or having a family (which is what i want more) after i graduate, BUT i don't want to not have a good career after 5 yrs of my schooling....any thoughts?

thanks for reading...anyone with the same concerns? comments? any thoughts? :laugh:

cute4runner said:
i am sooo glad there is a forum like this for older students & whom i can relate to. i am 29yrs old now, will be 30yrs next may...i'm in my 2nd professional year right now at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP)...and i totally understand how you guys feel. i had a business logistics degree as an undergrad, worked in the IT industry for 5 yrs, then quitted (very hard decision for me), came back to school full time.

i had to take 1 yr of pre-req so pharmacy school is really 5 yrs for me, rather than 4 yrs (compare to people who already has science background). i am also struggling with decisions when i should would be a good time to get married w/ my bf (probably after my 3rd professional year). and if we should have a kid right after graduation or 1 yr after graduation or during rotation...it's HARD...cuz i will be 32 yrs old when i graduated from school.

USP is a 6 yrs program (majority are students straight from high school) so some of my friends are 21 or 22 yrs old, no way they would understand what i am going through...

i am not sure if it possible to have kid and go to pharm school at the same time, but i see some people on campus w/ big bellies! i don't know how they do it though. it must be hard.

i have a question for everyone - what do you plan to do after you graduate? esp. when you have kids? working part time in retail? hospital? or do you plan to do residency, stick it out, working for another yr or two after residency then have kids (even when you will be 34+)?? i am really struggling between career or having a family (which is what i want more) after i graduate, BUT i don't want to not have a good career after 5 yrs of my schooling....any thoughts?

thanks for reading...anyone with the same concerns? comments? any thoughts? :laugh:

hey cute4runner,

are u already in the USP pharm program? or applying 3rd year? I thought philly only take students straight from high school and maybe a few transfers after....

your lucky you only have 1 year or pre-reqs to do. I think it would be extremly tough to have a kid during pharm. school because being a mom Is a full-time job especially when they are a newborn, you wouldl have to be with with the baby 24/7. However, maybe it is possible b/c I'm sure someone out there is has done it before. It will be hard but it all depends on that person. Good luck

cute4runner said:

Hello,

I am in the same position as you! I will be 29 when I start pharm school and don't know when I will have kids. I've come to the realization that having them during school would be too hard, especially with my boyfriend working full time. I don't even know when I will find time to get married!

How do you like USP as an older student? I would love to go there because I am from the South Jersey area and would enjoy staying close to home. I know that they don't accept many transfers. Your application must have really stood out from the crowd- Congrats! I've already applied but if you have any advice I would really appreciate it!

After I graduate i plan to have kids asap and work at least part time. I would love to do a residency but it probably won't be possible if I want to have kids. Tough decisions...

Good Luck!

Stephie

i forgot that i was in pre-pharmacy forum, oops. i guess i got excited when i saw a 25+ club topic...yeah i am at USP right now. started in 2003. yeah i basically have no life while i'm here, just work & school - and rest goes to my boyfriend (and i only see him like 2 to 3 times per week). i just can't wait to finish and get OUTTA here!!

yeah sometimes i want to get married after i graduate but i don't want to wait that long, i want to get married at least when i'm on rotation (last yr of school) since it is just work?! don't know. i go crazy when i try to analyze all these stuff.

USP does not have many older students. most of my friends who are transfers like me (in same year as me) just come to school and leave when they are done (they are mostly commuters). they don't really participate in school activities either, nor care that much. sometimes i wished that the older friends of mine could all go for a drink or two but it's tough - cuz when you're in school, you have to concentrate, when classes are over, you just want to go home and relax (and study), or have to work, or spend time w/ your bf or gf or husband.

i live close to school campus so i am always on campus. there is little support or should i say "non existent" at all for the older students here just because majority of students here are very young. I went to penn state as an undergrad, and coming to USP is just "very" different. i love what i learn in classes, but i don't exactly love the school u know. and a lot of my older friends felt the same way too. it's just different. i do however, try to take advantage of the resources here since i am paying for the tuition...have to get my money's worth right?!

temple on the other hand, has a lot more older students (cuz they are a 4 yr program). they might have better support system there for older students. i am not sure, have to ask a temple person to know the situation there.

the lingo is different here at USP compare to temple or other 4th yr programs.
2nd year(=pre req year), 3rd year (=1st professional year), 4th year (=2nd professional year) -- a lot of people get confused w/ that.

do you have a science related background or non-science background? i transfered to USP as a 2nd year (for my pre-req), not 3rd. i am not sure right now, but in my class (let me count) i know at least 10-16?? older students like me (but i don't know the exact number, could be a lot more??). that's quite a lot in my opinion.

i know they accept more transfers as a 2nd year. they probably don't accept many 3rd year students since i don't really hear of that much here on campus (but of course there are always exception!!). MOST transfers that transfer to USP start with 2nd year. did you applied for 2nd or 3rd year at USP?

GOOD LUCK with USP...!!! did you interview with them yet? i would highly recommend to interview w/ them!! it shows your initiative!! did you apply to temple as well? where else have you applied? where and what are you doing now?

i know after i graduate, i want to do a residency or fellowship and then work in the industry ---> ok that is my goal. BUT i am not sure if that is possible...
i don't know... :( i might not be able to that if i want to start a family and want to spend more time at home raising kids. *sigh* don't want to think about it...just makes me upset when i think about this.

i hope i helped?? if you have more questions, you can email me at [email protected]. i will be more than happy to help! ;)

Stephie said:
Thanks so much for all of your replies. It really does seem that the right thing to do would be to wait until pharm school is over to have kids. I'll be 32 then- anybody have any experience or know someone who waited until their early 30's to have kids?

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

Stephie

I had my daughters at 32 and 35, and I have very few, if any, regrets about waiting. Now, I was not in school at the time, and I do agree with other posters - I think it would be really hard to have a first baby while in school. But, as far as the age thing goes, I am glad I waited. My husband and I were in much better financial shape, more emotionally mature, and just generally more prepared to be parents (we married at 23, so we waited a LONG time). Also, I was working full-time and able to use my maternity benefits (first baby I had 12 weeks off paid, 2nd was after I started working in pharmacy, so for that one I got 6 weeks paid and took 4 more weeks unpaid leave). I would think that the timing would have to be almost perfect for you to get that much time off if you were in school. One thing to consider, it might be a bit harder to get pregnant in your 30's (I think the generally accepted info. now is that your fertility begins to drop at 28). Plenty of people are having babies later these days - don't feel pressured to do it before you are ready.

Bumpity Bump