25 and older club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FutureRxGal said:
27's less than a couple of weeks away... :)

Getting up there....... :laugh: I'll be the big 30, but not until Sept!!

I win!! 37 this Dec 29.

Members don't see this ad :)
usi said:
I win!! 37 this Dec 29.

What are you winning? The being old contest? I will be 42 this June, and I am not the oldest on this board. Some days I feel 100 though. :rolleyes:

And Happy soon to be birthday, FutureRXGal!

I'll be drinking Rolling Rock in about 3 weeks (20 days to be exact). Seems fitting, I'll be 33 and that's plastered all over the bottle. :cool:

I'll be 33 in September. I dont look 33...or so ive been told but my knees and lower back feel more like 55 :scared:

jemc2000 said:
What are you winning? The being old contest? I will be 42 this June, and I am not the oldest on this board. Some days I feel 100 though. :rolleyes:

And Happy soon to be birthday, FutureRXGal!

OK, so I never win anything. I thought I tried this one, but as you can see...
I never win anything!

usi said:
OK, so I never win anything. I thought I tried this one, but as you can see...
I never win anything!

Sorry. :(

I'm 32. I'll be about a month away from 36 when I graduate. :)

This may be unrelated, but I love being in my thirties.... :love:

usi said:
This may be unrelated, but I love being in my thirties.... :love:
Yeah, but it sure kicks ass being in your 20's :D

Serenity Now!!! said:
Yeah, but it sure kicks ass being in your 20's :D

I don't know.........I'm 28 and my 20's have been tough.
I guess this puts me in the geezer club. Well, I'm proud to be 25+. I wouldn't go back!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, its all relative I guess. You gotta experience a couple years as a 30-something before you can compare. Being 30ish really isnt bad its just that I was always an athlethic person and now I notice some disturbing changes...like for instance, I get up in the morning and when I stretch it sounds like someones eating a bag of potato chips!! (with all the cracking and poppin):eek: Whats up wit' dat :laugh:

I'm 27 and will be starting my pre-reqs this year.

It's good to know there are others out there! :thumbsup:

Serenity Now!!! said:
Hey, its all relative I guess. You gotta experience a couple years as a 30-something before you can compare. Being 30ish really isnt bad its just that I was always an athlethic person and now I notice some disturbing changes...like for instance, I get up in the morning and when I stretch it sounds like someones eating a bag of potato chips!! (with all the cracking and poppin):eek: Whats up wit' dat :laugh:

I loved it when that cracking and popping was only in the morning. Wait until your 40's. I make crunching sounds every time I move my head.

dgroulx said:
I loved it when that cracking and popping was only in the morning. Wait until your 40's. I make crunching sounds every time I move my head.
Stop it your scaring me!! :scared: :laugh:

Serenity Now!!! said:
Stop it your scaring me!! :scared: :laugh:

38 here. Sorry it took so long to post in this thread, but I was waiting on one of those rubber grommets for the bottom of my walker (can't have it scuffing up the floor). I'm on the turbo pre-req plan. Trying to finish them in 14 months and get into a three year school this year. If I get into Glendale, I heard their program is only 2 years 9 months. That would put my total time at 3 years 11 months for a Doctor of Pharmacy degree including pre-requisites. Do you think that would be a record?

dgroulx said:
I make crunching sounds every time I move my head.

:laugh: Me too! You know what causes that? Craning your neck over a book for hours on end. Studying is hazzardous to your health, I think. :laugh:

DHG said:
:laugh: Me too! You know what causes that? Craning your neck over a book for hours on end. Studying is hazzardous to your health, I think. :laugh:

My husband and I call that "study neck." As in, when you've been studying for a test for hours sitting in the same spot and then you stand up to move around and realize that you can't turn your head to one side. He used to come in and check on me every once and a while before big exams and make me shift position - "you're going to get study neck again!"

Of course, when that happens I just make him rub my neck and shoulders - there are a few benefits to having a man around the house. :love:

Woah, I'm not the only one! I'm 28 and midway through a PhD and I'm thinking about jumping ship here, working for a year to pay down debts, and then go to pharmacy school.

Am I crazy??!!??

I started a thread specific for the whole 'leave PhD for MS and do a PharmD' thing.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=251945

I am currently 29 and plan to apply for 2009 admission. Wow, that seems really far away. I only have sciences and calculus to take so I am taking the prereqs very slowly. I am married and have a son and we plan to have another child sometime in the next couple of years. I do worry about balancing family and school but don't feel like I can put this goal off because of the unknown. My bachelor's degree is in social work and that has influenced my pharmacy goals. I hope to be directly involved in public health or psychiatry. Have thought about completing a residency but it all depends on timing, location, family, etc... I currently work as a tech in retail pharmacy and I have no aspirations of working in retail as a pharmacist. I think back in the day it could have been a great experience but now you just fill, fill, mumble something to a customer, and fill. I blame the retail chain and the general public's need to get everything faster and faster. Oh, that's another story. Somedays it is hard to think about the fact that I won't graduate until 2013 but then I remember that this is what I want to do and hope that it will be worth it.

Smilescali said:
I am 28 and am hoping to apply next year to USN so I will be 30 if I get in for 2006. (It is a long shot with only pharmacy prereqs and tons of political science credits.) I wish I had figured out what profession I was suited for earlier, but you live and you learn.

I have a 2 year old son and a wonderful part time husband:) (He is away 3 or 4 days a week!) :thumbdown:

Smilescali, I also plan to go to USN only because that's my hometown and plan to move there. I only have PreReqs and some computer course under my belt but did talk to the school and that's all you'll need. All that's important is your grade.

All, I'm 33yrs old right now and still working on my prereqs so by the time that's done with I'll be 35yrs old but age is only a number as long as you keep yourself fit and healthy. :thumbup:

What do I plan to do after Pharmacy school? Go work for Wallgreen its only a block from my house :laugh:

TonyMelton said:
Smilescali, I also plan to go to USN only because that's my hometown and plan to move there. I only have PreReqs and some computer course under my belt but did talk to the school and that's all you'll need. All that's important is your grade.

All, I'm 33yrs old right now and still working on my prereqs so by the time that's done with I'll be 35yrs old but age is only a number as long as you keep yourself fit and healthy. :thumbup:

What do I plan to do after Pharmacy school? Go work for Wallgreen its only a block from my house :laugh:

The grades you receive in your pre-req classes and your overall GPA will only determine if you get an interview. USN is very competitive and they still look and consider many other aspects beyond GPA when considering an applicant for admission.

Smilescali said:
The grades you receive in your pre-req classes and your overall GPA will only determine if you get an interview. USN is very competitive and they still look and consider many other aspects beyond GPA when considering an applicant for admission.

What other considerations? Degree? :confused:

TonyMelton said:
What other considerations? Degree? :confused:

Yes, they give you academic points for a 4-year- degree, Master's and PhD. During the interview they evaluate how well you can communicate, problem solve, work with others etc. (Check out their website for details). Additionally, you also have 4 or 5 essay questions that are completed with your application. If all they care about was GPA then why would they conduct interviews? I am under the impression that just because you may have a stellar GPA, it doesn't guarantee admission by any means.

Good luck to you. :)

I 'm applying to Oregon State his year. I'm 31, and graduated in 2000 (I did a 3 year hitch as a medic in the Army prior to my undergrad). I had all of the prereqs, as I earned a BS in Molec Biology and BA in English Creative Writing, so all of my course work is 5-8 years old (3.5 overall, 3.5 prereq, 3.6 science). I've been in research at OHSU for the last five years and have several 1st and 2nd author pubs in high profile journals (PNAS, J. Experimental Medicine, Nature Medicine, J. Immunology, J. Clinical Investigation), so I've been engaged in biochem/immunology related work ever since graduation. I'm worried that my coursework is a bit old and may detract from my application. Should I retake the O-chem and Calc even if I had A's & B's the first time around if I have to reapply next year? I work approximately 60 hours a week in the lab, so I'd have to scale back my research significantly if I took 8 semester hours at a time, but it could be done. Have any of you guys/gals been successful in your application with a lengthy period between coursework and application?

Thanks,

John

Hey Jbe4,

I don't think you need to retake any courses unless Oregon State has a limitation such as work being 7 years old are accepted. Beyond that, you would have to retake the required pre-requisites (such as Colorado State University). I don't remember seeing anything about that on their websites...so you may be okay....Finish any remaining pre-requisites and hope to get an interview. Oregon state tend prefer candidates from Oregon, so that is an added plus to you. You have great work experience and good gpa. Perhaps, gain some pharmacy experience if they recommend it. Overall, you look like a well-rounded figure that may be of an interest. My guess is that pharmacy schools seek diversity....Hope this helps.

dreaminpharmd-

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Oregon doesn’t state any expiration date for course work, but I thought it might be an unofficial point of scrutiny. Again, thanks for the insight.

John

jbe4 said:
dreaminpharmd-

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Oregon doesn’t state any expiration date for course work, but I thought it might be an unofficial point of scrutiny. Again, thanks for the insight.

John

Although some schools do not list prerequisite expiration on their websites, I would e-mail them to make sure. There are many schools that have a 5 to 10 year limit on science prerequisites, but do not post this information on the admissions website.

Hi All - I wanted to tell everyone how inspiring you are to be going or trying to get into Pharmacy School. I just turned 25 and have started on the journey of going to pharm school. I graduated in 2003 with a degree in Computer Engineering, worked at Intel and now working at a software company. I've been married for over 2 years now and we will be expecting our first baby, a boy, this April. I've also been juggling graduate school in a completely different area (Engineering Management). However, I've always known that I chose the wrong career pathway but was always too afraid to change - I always just assumed it was too late for me. My strengths have always lied in the biological and chemical sciences and mathematics and I have always been fascinated with pharmacy, specifically in the emerging field of pharmacogenomics. Plus, I want to wake up each morning and feel that I am doing something I truly enjoy. It's really hard to imagine myself doing what I am doing now for the rest of my life - I hate waking up to go to work and I know that I am not utilizing my passions to contribute to the greater good of the world.

I'm not yet sure how I'll juggle taking care of a newborn, working full-time, and getting all of my pharmacy school pre-req's nailed down but hell, what have I got to lose. My aim is to go to UCSF and after getting my PharmD., go into research in the pharmacogenomics area. I've done research as an undergrad, so I know the dedication and self-discipline that it takes. I'm aiming to apply for either the 2008 or 2009 class years. If I don't get in, I'm going to keep on trying until they are so sick of seeing me apply each year, that they will have to give me admission. ;-P

Anyways, thank you all for your inspirational stories and the hard work and dedication that you show to pursue your dreams!

hi, all...great posts....

i'm 24, graduated with Biology degree last year...Now, working part time as teaching assistant (not related to my major)....Still waiting for acceptance letter, hopefully will attend Midwestern this coming Fall...I don't worry too much about loan b/c if I can get in pharmacy school, I'll make sure that I'll finish my degree....I wanna go for residency after that...Relationship? I'm single, so have nothing to worry neither... :)

jbe4 said:
I 'm applying to Oregon State his year. I'm 31, and graduated in 2000 (I did a 3 year hitch as a medic in the Army prior to my undergrad). I had all of the prereqs, as I earned a BS in Molec Biology and BA in English Creative Writing, so all of my course work is 5-8 years old (3.5 overall, 3.5 prereq, 3.6 science). I've been in research at OHSU for the last five years and have several 1st and 2nd author pubs in high profile journals (PNAS, J. Experimental Medicine, Nature Medicine, J. Immunology, J. Clinical Investigation), so I've been engaged in biochem/immunology related work ever since graduation. I'm worried that my coursework is a bit old and may detract from my application. Should I retake the O-chem and Calc even if I had A's & B's the first time around if I have to reapply next year? I work approximately 60 hours a week in the lab, so I'd have to scale back my research significantly if I took 8 semester hours at a time, but it could be done. Have any of you guys/gals been successful in your application with a lengthy period between coursework and application?

Thanks,

John
Dear John - I happened to see your post, and smiled to myself - he thinks his pre-reqs are old?? My bachelor's degree (chemistry) is 1988, so most of my pre-reqs were done in the 1984-1985 time frame. Like you, I had also done some research as I have a master's in chemistry. I needed two classes (not science or math) that I had never taken on college level that I'm taking now, but I already have one pharmacy school acceptance for 2006.

To me, doing well on the PCAT is the best indicator that you truly know the material, no matter how long it's been since you sat in class. I did spend a good deal of time studying in the 5 months before I took the PCAT (roughly late July when I decided I was going to do this until late Oct.), but I also have a family and work 30 hours per week in a pharmacy, so I was not constantly studying. I ended up with a 98 composite (99 on the chemistry section). Frankly, after that I would not have bothered with any school that told me I still had to go back and take CH 101 again.

Anyway, my message to you is that you can do this, and I don't necessarily think that you would have to go back and take the course work if you are disciplined enough to study for the PCAT. Of course, you will have to check with your individual schools of interest to make sure that they don't have some sort of time limit, as the other posters note. Good luck!

My husband is 28 and in his first year of professional pharmacy school. He'll be 31 when he graduates inshaAllah, if all goes well. He's a bit depressed because he feels that he hasn't had his life yet though (has been in school virtually all his life). We haven't had a honeymoon or any vacations together yet or anything because we're both not working. I really have these crazy maternal urges that aren't going away, but I guess I have to kick them to the curb for a few years:(. I'm going to be financially supporting him until he graduates 3 years from now inshaAllah.. anyone else like me on here?

Hi all am so impressed and inspired by this thread coz i was feeling a little too old. I'll be 28 this April. So that makes me 29 in 2007 my hopeful first year. This is my second career and my final stop coz i know in my heart this is where i want to be.. I have an undergrad in Computer science.. couldn't get a descent job with the degree in Atl.. got a baby after that(single mum of a preciuos 7 mos old daughter) and now am doing my prepahrm.. i plan to take the crash program and go to school every quarter and finish... I currently own a business(Personal care Home) that's doing very well. I love what i do but i can't equate it with the experience, knowledge and exposure..in pharmacy. I plan to work for a govt international agency like CDC, United Nations, World Health Organization, UNICEF etc AND JUST TRAVEL around the world working and making a difference to the underpriviledged and underpresented people...Anyone looking to work on those lines...pm me and we'll talk. There's so much need out there for help and not enough qualified people to reach out those in need. Way to go everyone...
REMEMBER...WHERE GOD GUIDES, HE PROVIDES..

I'll be 32 this fall when I start pharmacy school. I have an 18 month old and a wife who is already a pharmacist. Can't wait to start! :laugh:

polgal81 said:
Hi All - I wanted to tell everyone how inspiring you are to be going or trying to get into Pharmacy School. I just turned 25 and have started on the journey of going to pharm school. I graduated in 2003 with a degree in Computer Engineering, worked at Intel and now working at a software company. I've been married for over 2 years now and we will be expecting our first baby, a boy, this April. I've also been juggling graduate school in a completely different area (Engineering Management). However, I've always known that I chose the wrong career pathway but was always too afraid to change - I always just assumed it was too late for me. My strengths have always lied in the biological and chemical sciences and mathematics and I have always been fascinated with pharmacy, specifically in the emerging field of pharmacogenomics. Plus, I want to wake up each morning and feel that I am doing something I truly enjoy. It's really hard to imagine myself doing what I am doing now for the rest of my life - I hate waking up to go to work and I know that I am not utilizing my passions to contribute to the greater good of the world.

I'm not yet sure how I'll juggle taking care of a newborn, working full-time, and getting all of my pharmacy school pre-req's nailed down but hell, what have I got to lose. My aim is to go to UCSF and after getting my PharmD., go into research in the pharmacogenomics area. I've done research as an undergrad, so I know the dedication and self-discipline that it takes. I'm aiming to apply for either the 2008 or 2009 class years. If I don't get in, I'm going to keep on trying until they are so sick of seeing me apply each year, that they will have to give me admission. ;-P

Anyways, thank you all for your inspirational stories and the hard work and dedication that you show to pursue your dreams!

Dear polgal81,
I turned 33 on 2/1 and have a 9 mo old. I was taking O Chem I and II when I was pregnant and working full time as an sr operations analyst for a investment company. (B+ avg b/t the two classes). Of course I had to drop the labs during this time so had to delay my app to this year.

AND I received my first interview invite on Valentine's day :love: so that day was extra special. My note to you is to keep it up and get a good support base. Sure us non-traditional students have to prove ourselves just a little more but we truly bring something to the table when we can say to the ad comm "i can handle the 3-4 yrs of a professional program because look at how i've had to juggle work, family, school, and volunteer work and still kept my grades up and had a good pcat score. My gpa and pcat scores are not as impressive as others (mine - 3.6 gpa and 83 pcat comp) but no one can question my commitment to this worthy goal...i've gone this far with so many obtacles thrown I can do another 4 years in school ..i'll be 37 when i graduate and my daughter will be starting kindergarten...what a great day it will be when i walk that stage as Dr of Pharmacy and my daughter can see me and know it is mommy up there.
ONe day at a time and truly keep your grades up, get tutoring, get that family help with the newborn...most important when you need that break to get your mind and heart back on the task just look at that baby of yours and know it'll be worth it for you and for your family.
All the best to you...

Hi all, I appear to be the oldest student going back to school. I have been a practicing Dietitian for 25 years. I just would like to do something new. I'm a little worried about all the expenses, and managing a part time job with full time school But, I think I can do it. Anyway, this forum is great. I have already learned a lot of helpful information. Maybe we could get our own section started in the Forum. More later.....

PharmArt said:
Dear polgal81,
I turned 33 on 2/1 and have a 9 mo old. I was taking O Chem I and II when I was pregnant and working full time as an sr operations analyst for a investment company. (B+ avg b/t the two classes). Of course I had to drop the labs during this time so had to delay my app to this year.

AND I received my first interview invite on Valentine's day :love: so that day was extra special. My note to you is to keep it up and get a good support base. Sure us non-traditional students have to prove ourselves just a little more but we truly bring something to the table when we can say to the ad comm "i can handle the 3-4 yrs of a professional program because look at how i've had to juggle work, family, school, and volunteer work and still kept my grades up and had a good pcat score. My gpa and pcat scores are not as impressive as others (mine - 3.6 gpa and 83 pcat comp) but no one can question my commitment to this worthy goal...i've gone this far with so many obtacles thrown I can do another 4 years in school ..i'll be 37 when i graduate and my daughter will be starting kindergarten...what a great day it will be when i walk that stage as Dr of Pharmacy and my daughter can see me and know it is mommy up there.
ONe day at a time and truly keep your grades up, get tutoring, get that family help with the newborn...most important when you need that break to get your mind and heart back on the task just look at that baby of yours and know it'll be worth it for you and for your family.
All the best to you...

Dear PharmArt,

Thank you so much for your post. As I mentioned in my previous post, it really is inspirational to hear other folks in similar situations as I. A REALLY BIG CONGRATS and working so hard and getting an invite for your first interview!! I hope it all goes well - I look forward to hearing if you get in for this coming year!

I definitely agree on the extra support base part. I feel lucky that I have a very supportive husband that I know will give me lots of help with our newborn and will continue to be there as he grows up. But it's always good to be reminded of getting extra family support (from my parents, friends, etc) to help us when we just need that hour or so to relax and re-energize.

I also agree that for us, time management is a well-learned skill that will be of great advantage to us, as well as the definite commitment of wanting to pursue this worthy goal of ours. I'm very proud of following your dream, like I am, because so many people do find what they love doing later in life but decide that it's too late to do anything about it. Your daughter will be very proud of you for working so hard before and during pharmacy school. You will set an example for her and help her understand that hard work does pay off and that she should never give up on following her dreams and passions.

All the best on your journey! I do hope to hear from you again soon to see how the admissions process was for you this year.

Best Wishes!

Hiya everyone, thanks for posting! Its really quite assuring to hear others like me. I am 26, and applied to schools this year. I haven't heard from any of the programs yet, and am at this point coming to grips with the fact I will be applying again next year. Frustrating, but eh, its life. My husband is an engineering student and will be in school for another 4 or so years too. I have been reading these posts for a few months now, but am for the first time posting. SDN is great! :)

RxGirlie said:
This is my second career and my final stop coz i know in my heart this is where i want to be.. I have an undergrad in Computer science..

Same here. Got my computer science degree from Michigan in '01.

Can't wait to bury my debugging past... :D