DO 25 MCAT 3.74sGPA (AACOMAS) trying to go DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Im a FL resident currently at FSU studying Biology. According to the AACOMAS website, I have a 3.74sGPA and 3.58cGPA. I have no idea how it happened, but I ended up bombing my PS section of the mcat and got stuck with a 25 (6PS, 9VR, 10BS). I would like to go to NSU or LECOM-B mostly, but would be happy anywhere in the southeastern region. I have average EC's but do a lot of chemistry tutoring and have lots of hours shadowing physicians (MD's).
What do my chances look like and is it too late to apply and then submit a better mcat later?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can apply this week but you need to apply to many more schools than the 2 Florida DO schools. There are some newer and lower tier DO schools where the median MCAT is 25 so you do have a chance for an acceptance. If you want to stay in the southeast there are at lest 8 DO schools extending from Virginia-West Virginia down through the Carolinas all the way to Mississippi and if you apply to all of those plus the Florida schools you should receive some interviews. It is better to apply early (now) than wait for a 2nd MCAT. There is no guarantee you will score better if you retake the MCAT. Your high GPA will definitely help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a FL resident currently at FSU studying Biology. According to the AACOMAS website, I have a 3.74sGPA and 3.58cGPA. I have no idea how it happened, but I ended up bombing my PS section of the mcat and got stuck with a 25 (6PS, 9VR, 10BS). I would like to go to NSU or LECOM-B mostly, but would be happy anywhere in the southeastern region. I have average EC's but do a lot of chemistry tutoring and have lots of hours shadowing physicians (MD's).
What do my chances look like and is it too late to apply and then submit a better mcat later?
NSU and LECOM-Bradenton are still possible, but just apply to more schools. There are numerous established DO schools that would likely still interview you even with a 25. Apply where you are interested in going, to at least 8-10 schools, just avoid CCOM, AZCOM, Touro-NY and Touro-CA.

I think you have excellent chances at most of the southeastern DO schools (ACOM, VCOM's, LMU, WCU, PCOM-Ga, CUSOM etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Concur with my young colleague.

NSU and LECOM-Bradenton are still possible, but just apply to more schools. There are numerous established DO schools that would likely still interview you even with a 25. Apply where you are interested in going, to at least 8-10 schools, just avoid CCOM, AZCOM, Touro-NY and Touro-CA.

I think you have excellent chances at most of the southeastern DO schools (ACOM, VCOM's, LMU, WCU, PCOM-Ga, CUSOM etc)

The 25 is not the issue, the 6 is. Honestly, if you really feel like you goofed and can bring that PS up 3-4 points and keep the other ones stable, I'd just take it again. If not, the 25 is fine, the 6 isn't, but you have a good GPA. I would absolutely apply broadly though just in case.

I find it humorous that a six in physical science would limit you as there is essentially ZERO PS in medical school. Hopefully they take this into consideration.