25M, 3.95 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golf4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
25M MCAT; 10 ps; 8 bs; 7 vr
3.95 cGPA
3.95 sGPA
One year chemistry research
3 years college tutoring
50 hours hospital volunteer
24 hours physician shadow
Two medical missions trips
Extracurricular leadership

What are my chances for a top DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
25M MCAT
3.95 cGPA
3.95 sGPA
3 years college tutoring

I am not sure there is a ranking system for DO...There are more established DO such as DMU, NOVA ect..., You have a shot at many DO schools if you dont have anything less than 6 in your mcat subscores.

25M MCAT; 10 ps; 8 bs; 7 vr
3.95 cGPA
3.95 sGPA
3 years college tutoring

Why don't you try to get a better score on the MCAT and go for Med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you try to get a better score on the MCAT and go for Med school?

DO schools are medical schools. The physicians that graduate from these institutions are equal to graduates from schools of Allopathic medicine, able to practice medicine and perform surgery.

DO schools are medical schools. The physicians that graduate from these institutions are equal to graduates from schools of Allopathic medicine, able to practice medicine and perform surgery.

Yup.

But yeah, if it interests you, you could improve your MCAT score and have a very good shot at MD schools. If not, it looks like you'll be quite fine for DO.

Retake the mcat in the spring, apply next cycle. If you get a 30+ your options for MD programs will be wide open to you.

If you're set on apply this cycle, you have a reasonable shot at schools. Although DO schools don't have severe IS vs OOS bias like most MD schools, there is regional bias. Check out the DO specific section to find out more info on specific DO schools.

I just took the MCAT again today. If I don't score better, I don't really feel like waiting another year and risking the chance of not getting a better score. As you guys have said, DO school will get me in the same place in the end so I would be more than happy with going that route. Thanks for the advice!