25Q MCAT, cGPA ~3.85, sGPA ~3.85

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT
25Q June 2010 MCAT 22O July 2009 PS 10, BS 10 and VR...
VR - 5
PS - 8
BS - 12

This time around I tried a lot for Verbal...Did over a 45 practice test just for verbal alone. Even though my english is well, I just can't score well on Verbal. It has a lot to do with vocabs. I can't memorize the dictionary. It has been only 7 years since I have moved to US. English is actually my third language! Never loved reading books. I tried reading broad stuff this time around but I just can't seem to increase my VR score. PS is my strongest section but for some reason, I had a bad luck.

Both Science and Cumulative GPA around 3.85 or slighly higher!

Research
- 3 Publication
- 1 in radiation oncology and two in cardiology

Volunteering
- 3yrs
A lot of Shadowing
Observership in Anesthesiology and Ophthalmology

Tremendous amount of exposure to Medical field and many other extracurricular activity.

I'm having thoughts about going to ROSS. Need some honest opinion to what are my chances for this cylce!
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Well while your verbal is low. Being tri-lingual and explaining that English is your 3rd language might help. So basically your best hope is to apply to schools with no automatic cut offs for mcat scores. Also applying to DO schools is recommended ( most are private so they have no cut offs). Your gpa is also pretty nice so I think it can make up slightly for the lower mcat.

But yes, don't apply to Ross. You've still got a decent shot of getting in somewhere in the US and having a 99.9% chance of landing a residency. That is versus Ross where it's a 50%>.

So summed up, apply to 10 DO schools & 10-15 MD schools without any cut offs for mcat sub-scores.

Good luck.

10-15 MD schools without any cut offs for mcat sub-scores.

Good luck.

Thanks...How do you find a school that doesn't have a MCAT score cut offs??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks...How do you find a school that doesn't have a MCAT score cut offs??

MSAR is usually a good tool for that. I think you'll get a response from someone who knows those specific schools soon.

* Most DO schools don't have many cut offs except NSU ( it recommends 7's or higher) but you can still get in as they don't really reinforce that.

MSAR is usually a good tool for that. I think you'll get a response from someone who knows those specific schools soon.

* Most DO schools don't have many cut offs except NSU ( it recommends 7's or higher) but you can still get in as they don't really reinforce that.

There's only one reason why I don't want to appy to DO. First it is not recognized to many countries outside the US...specially where I'm from. I can't really have a degree that will limit me to US only even though DO and MD in US are almost the same.

I would reallly appriciate if some one can provide me with the screening schools! I'm also thinking to take the MCAT again end of August but just dont have a confidnece about VR scores at all. It may go down or up! Cuz it feels like i really dont have any control!

Well just from what I believe most places that reject US DO's usually don't accept US MD's either. With the exception of France, Spain and a few other nations, the majority of places will accept an US DO degree.
I'll just say that an US DO will go a lot further then a Carib MD any day. But I'd say its best to do research on this topic. If you're interested in going back to your old country to live then it might be best to get that countries medical degree. If you're looking to go back on a humanitarian program or something like that then an US DO will work.

Well just from what I believe most places that reject US DO's usually don't accept US MD's either. With the exception of France, Spain and a few other nations, the majority of places will accept an US DO degree.
I'll just say that an US DO will go a lot further then a Carib MD any day. But I'd say its best to do research on this topic. If you're interested in going back to your old country to live then it might be best to get that countries medical degree. If you're looking to go back on a humanitarian program or something like that then an US DO will work.

While I do agree with you to some extent, people fail to realize how hard it is to do well in a Carib MD school. I know people who went to US med schools and some who went to med schools in the Carib. When my friends from the US Med schools looked at what the Carib Med schools did.. they realized how much easier they had it in comparison.

Just my 2 cents..

While I do agree with you to some extent, people fail to realize how hard it is to do well in a Carib MD school. I know people who went to US med schools and some who went to med schools in the Carib. When my friends from the US Med schools looked at what the Carib Med schools did.. they realized how much easier they had it in comparison.

Just my 2 cents..

Of course! Carib med is honestly a hell that very few people can deal with. I mean when you look at Ross, you've got 100 students in the first class and you're told the first day that there's only enough room for 25 of you. That's a intense stress no one in the US medical schools has to deal with. Not to mention out of those 25 only 15 will actually make it to residency. This is why I personally say never go to the Carib. It's a risky gamble which can break you for life.
US DO & US MD you have someone holding your hand the whole way. They expect you to become a doctor and they invest tons of money along with your investment so that you will almost always become a doctor. In the Carib its all about them making money off of people.

The only US schools likely to accept someone with a VS of 5 would be the Puerto Rican med schools. Are you fluent in Spanish?

Alternatively, are there med schools you'd be eligible for in your country of origin?

I'm from India...I dont have to take MCAT for indian med school. Instead, I would have to get admission on the basis of NRI (non resident of INDIA)...Usually with tons of money you can get admission.

I do not speak spanish! Does that mean that I can't apply to puerto rican schooL?

Without being fluent in Spanish you are not eligible for Puerto Rican schools (where the classes are in Spanish).

As a DO you can actually apply to practice in India (as long as you are an Indian citizen). I know of at least one practicing in Goa.

If your ultimate goal is to practice in India you are much better off going to Australia or staying in India. There are going to be many hurdles to jump to get into a US school with a 5 on the VS.

I do not speak spanish! Does that mean that I can't apply to puerto rican schooL?

Even where the classes and texts are in English, you need fluency in Spanish during the clinical years when you are dealing with patients.

DAMN IT...Well it make sense. I might think about taking the MCAT again...and see if I can improve a Phucking 5 in VR. Meanwhile, I will still appy broadly to MD and DO.

U will have to retake the MCAT.
A 5 in Verbal almost a no no for all schools. Unless u r special. A medical student with a 6 in MCAT verbal can have significant trouble passing the board exams. So schools are very selective with a 5 in VR. Do your self a favor and improve on all of the areas. I know someone who is a foreignerESL, 7 years also,and scored 35, with all three sections above 10. U can do ithttp://img2.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

U will have to retake the MCAT.
A 5 in Verbal almost a no no for all schools. Unless u r special. A medical student with a 6 in MCAT verbal can have significant trouble passing the board exams. So schools are very selective with a 5 in VR. Do your self a favor and improve on all of the areas. I know someone who is a foreignerESL, 7 years also,and scored 35, with all three sections above 10. U can do ithttp://img2.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

WHAT DO YOU MEAN by SPECIAL????

If u feel u can do a lot better in PS, just retake it, and I bet u can do better in VR also.
U r Special if u can convince them at the interview to look beyond your VR by how you carry yourself (English Speaking and good interview etiquette). BUT, THE KEY IS GETTING INTERVIEWS, 5 IS A RED FLAG.