26-36 starting out. Some helpful advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungTexan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am 26 years old and I am now pre-med. I actually have all the prereqs to become a registered nurse, except the nursing courses, but I did some major soul searching and I feel that becoming a nurse would not fulfill the desire within. I have a strong passion for science, and of course medicine. I have spent many years working towards becoming a RN then to NP, but I always put the dream of becoming an MD on the backburner... for many reasons.

Before I get into any major details here is what I have going on and I would like to have some constructive feedback please. I am working towards my B.S. Bio degree. I have excellent grades in my sciences, straight A's in all my sciences except 1 B.

In my general ed courses, such as hist and govt, I made 3 b's and 1c. Frankly those classes bore me to sleep.

From those who have made it into medical school, do you enjoy it, or should I say... are you pleased with your decision? Just asking..... I plan on going to medical school no matter what... the thing is I am 26 right now and I am future guessing a time span for me to be complete all together... at least the most part.... Do you think actually beginning medical school when I am 29-31 a good idea? I am sure I will be older than most of my class, but I want this more than anything in my life. I have lived 26 years on this planet and I have come to terms that there is nothing else that I want other than to become a medical doctor to help people.

I do know that doctors are concerned about the financial aspect of things. I know some docs make around 100k +... but for me its really not about the money, but the simple fact that I love medicine and I love to help people. Its a good nature of both worlds for me. I thought about being an NP but I feel NP's do not get the advanced training that MD's get and I have the utmost respect for them, but I just do not feel I would not get the scientific satisfaction out of doing less.

One more question, how did you make it through medical school. Right now I have close to 2 grand a month in bills, was it difficult to get loans to live off of, how was it to get loans to pay for school.

I already expect to come out of school with about 200k in debt and I am fine with that, as long as I follow my passion and desire, money has no comparison to passion.. I apologize for a scattered post, but I have many thoughts in my head and could use some guidance from MD's and med students who are living it in the now.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.