27 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
27 MCAT 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. URM
4 years of both Firefighter/EMT experience as well as ER tech experience.
Year and a half of research, but no volunteering ( since i had to work my way through school).
Shadowing + letter from a Pediatric ER physician who also goes to my church.
Also Shadowered a DO Anesthesiologist and DO ER doc.
I feel i have a really strong personal statement and will be applying June 1st

Have had to work my way through college working full and part time while going to school full time. My parents declared Bankruptcy my freshman year of college.

Looking to stay in Illinois, but wondering what my chances are in general.

Also already applying DO

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

27 MCAT 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. URM
4 years of both Firefighter/EMT experience as well as ER tech experience.
Year and a half of research, but no volunteering ( since i had to work my way through school).
Shadowing + letter from a Pediatric ER physician who also goes to my church.
Also Shadowered a DO Anesthesiologist and DO ER doc.
I feel i have a really strong personal statement and will be applying June 1st

Have had to work my way through college working full and part time while going to school full time. My parents declared Bankruptcy my freshman year of college.

Looking to stay in Illinois, but wondering what my chances are in general.

Also already applying DO

Thanks!
Have you accessed sector9's stickied Historical Chances thread? A 3.4/27 gave past applicants from underrepresented population groups a 66% chance of acceptance somewhere. You're more likely to be on the positive side of those odds if you have balanced subscores and a recent upward grade trend. Your solid experiences will help boost odds as well.

You are lucky to have two lenient state schools. SIU has the cheaper tuition by far. Even if you don't live south of I-80, apply there, as they accepted more applicants than usual from the northern part of Illinois last year. I think you have a decent chance at UIC as well, though.

Have you accessed sector9's stickied Historical Chances thread? A 3.4/27 gave past applicants from underrepresented population groups a 66% chance of acceptance somewhere. You're more likely to be on the positive side of those odds if you have balanced subscores and a recent upward grade trend. Your solid experiences will help boost odds as well.

You are lucky to have two lenient state schools. SIU has the cheaper tuition by far. Even if you don't live south of I-80, apply there, as they accepted more applicants than usual from the northern part of Illinois last year. I think you have a decent chance at UIC as well, though.
Wow, I appreciate the quick turnaround. I actually did look at those AAMC stats first and thats what lead me to wonder what my chances were. Do you think i might benefit from applying early decision to either program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I appreciate the quick turnaround. I actually did look at those AAMC stats first and thats what lead me to wonder what my chances were. Do you think i might benefit from applying early decision to either program?
I don't think SIU has an EDP, and UIC's successful candidates, of which there are only a very few, tend to have stats exceeding national acceptee averages, so I doubt you'd benefit.

Rush, Loyola, and RFU are other schools to consider, but they'll be more expensive, than the state schools, of course.

i have identical stats. i got some MD love and lots of DO love. apply early and youll be just fine

A little confused here...you are URM but your MDapps profile says you identify as Caucasian? Because if you are Caucasian, your chances with these numbers are not very good.

A little confused here...you are URM but your MDapps profile says you identify as Caucasian? Because if you are Caucasian, your chances with these numbers are not very good.
mdapps can be misleading... theres no verification process. i could have a 4.0/35 or 2.3/25 and have my profile listed as a black kid with 3.5/28

mdapps can be misleading... theres no verification process. i could have a 4.0/35 or 2.3/25 and have my profile listed as a black kid with 3.5/28

True, but OP even has a profile pic of what appears to be a white person's back tattoo of a firefighting symbol.

What race are you, OP?

I'm hispanic from my moms side, Caucasian from my dads side ( with an Italian last name). I'm not fluent in Spanish but I can speak it cause my moms side does ( I grew up mostly with her side).

Mdapps says Caucasian because I was always adamant about doing things on my own and based on my own merit as opposed to anything else. I feel my stats are average/decent for DO programs but I was going to mark Hispanic on my AMCAS because I can't ignore the tuition of my state schools.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1338513174.100292.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 68
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hispanic from my moms side, Caucasian from my dads side ( with an Italian last name). I'm not fluent in Spanish but I can speak it cause my moms side does ( I grew up mostly with her side).

Mdapps says Caucasian because I was always adamant about doing things on my own and based on my own merit as opposed to anything else. I feel my stats are average/decent for DO programs but I was going to mark Hispanic on my AMCAS because I can't ignore the tuition of my state schools.

What kind of hispanic? Not all hispanics are considered URM.

regardless if you are black, white, purple, yellow, red, or green... bottom line is that your stats are just a bit below average, you have a balanced mcat, and great ECs. hammer out a good PS and you are sure to get some interviews. i would def recommend getting a DO letter because, even though its not required, it still looks good (shows you have really explored the DO option and aren't treating it like a backup). the lack of volunteering isn't really lacking since you do have 4 yrs of clinical exp under your belt with your firefighting/emt to supplement it. LizzyM says that its clinical if you can smell the patient. shadowing is ok. i would have liked to have seen more variety instead of 2 ER docs and an Anesthesiologist but it is what it is. i personally did an oncologist, orthopedist, and a cardiothorasic surgeon. sorry im starting to ramble

once you land the interviews, you are pretty much golden if you dont sabotage them. just be how you are, tell your story, and be honest. the DO shadows (and letter if you can get it) will really help. i went 5/5 with my DO schools and got 4/5 WLs and 1 acceptance. my problem was that i wasn't familiar with the DO branch of things and i was a little late with my application. you are submitting tomorrow so you'll be great. good luck. pm me if you need anything else :thumbup:

You're the URM version of me, haha. I just graduated undergrad with a 3.45, 3.3 sci gpa, 27R MCAT (9,10,8), firefighter for 6 years, EMT-B for 2 years, shadowing experience in peds, worked in an ED as a scribe for 1 year... I applied broadly to DO schools, however I did apply in early September (kind of late). I received 2 interview invitations at LECOM-E and NYCOM (NY State Resident) and was accepted to both, and I am going to NYCOM this fall. I would suggest applying early and broadly, if you interview well you should definitely be okay for an acceptance somewhere, whether it be MD/DO. Best of luck!

That's pretty funny actually. Good to hear you got into your home DO program, I'm hoping for some CCOM love. Thanks for the support guys, just submitted my AACOMAS today. AMCAS will follow on June 5 for SIU and U of I