Oct 14, 2014
Hey everyone here are all my credentials:

27 with 8/10/9
3.9 cumulative and science GPA
Volunteered at a hospital for approx. 30 hours
Work as seasonal ER scribe with about 40 hours under my belt so far
Work an on campus job 15-20 hours a week
Have held 3 positions in my fraternity: scholarship chair, philanthropy committee, and secretary which also meant I am on the executive board
Went on a mission trip to Puerto Rico
I am a Louisiana resident and applying to both of the LSU schools.

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can give me.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
have you only considered MD?

are you URM?

get more hospital volunteering.
what about domestic non-clinical volunteering?

shadowing?

the mission trip may be a neutral according to quite a few sources on SDN.

OP
H
Oct 14, 2014
I have looked into DO but not enough to pull the trigger on it this cycle.

Also not sure what URM means, so if you could explain that it would be great.

For shadowing that goes with the volunteering hours I posted and the only non-clinical volunteering I have is really the philanthropy even that I help coordinate for my fraternity.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
have you only considered MD?

are you URM?

get more hospital volunteering.
what about domestic non-clinical volunteering?

shadowing?

the mission trip may be a neutral according to quite a few sources on SDN.
OP is a resident of Louisiana and goes to Puerto Rico on a "mission"!

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
OP is a resident of Louisiana and goes to Puerto Rico on a "mission"!
it's either 1) too late, 2) i'm too burned out on studying for the night, or 3) i'm just dumb in the head but i'm just not getting it lol. i don't read too far into most people's posts, including OP's, so...

URM = under-represented minority

i would suggest getting more non-clinical volunteering and more shadowing as well.

if you are dead set on MD, buy a subscription to MSAR online and check out schools that are within your stat range. that will give you a very good place to start. then you can post a school list and we can help you whittle it down.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
it's either 1) too late, 2) i'm too burned out on studying for the night, or 3) i'm just dumb in the head but i'm just not getting it lol. i don't read too far into most people's posts, including OP's, so...

URM = under-represented minority
I'm agreeing with you.

Reactions: baxt1412

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
all in all, the 3.9 is great, but nothing else about your application is really standing out very much. not trying to be harsh, just realistic.

Vivalarevolution

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'd definitely recommend more volunteering and shadowing. 30 hours volunteering and 40 hours as an ER scribe are somewhat dismal numbers, no offense.

And URM = underrepresented minority. It doesn't help as much as fellow SDNers would have you believe though

wuhsabee

BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd definitely recommend more volunteering and shadowing. 30 hours volunteering and 40 hours as an ER scribe are somewhat dismal numbers, no offense.

And URM = underrepresented minority. It doesn't help as much as fellow SDNers would have you believe though
Not to start a war here, but I think it has some help. My friend (URM) got into an MD school with a 24 MCAT. And her ECs weren't particularly extraordinary. They were really average. She didn't even have any shadowing hours! And another friend, who is an URM, got 3 MD interviews already when he applied by mid-August, 3.4 GPA, and a 23 MCAT. He retook the MCAT and got a 21. Didn't have research.

Reactions: ROSC and sat0ri

Vivalarevolution

5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Not to start a war here, but I think it has some help. My friend (URM) got into an MD school with a 24 MCAT. And her ECs weren't particularly extraordinary. They were really average. She didn't even have any shadowing hours! And another friend, who is an URM, got 3 MD interviews already when he applied by mid-August, 3.4 GPA, and a 23 MCAT. He retook the MCAT and got a 21. Didn't have research.
Whoa, well I'm a URM with an MCAT score 10+ points higher than your friends' and pretty solid EC's (nothing crazy) - I've gotten 6 rejections so far..
So, from my perspective, it doesn't help much.
Judging from your friends' experiences, maybe I should go ahead and submit that Harvard application though ;)

wuhsabee

BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Whoa, well I'm a URM with an MCAT score 10+ points higher than your friends' and pretty solid EC's (nothing crazy) - I've gotten 6 rejections so far..
So, from my perspective, it doesn't help much.
Judging from your friends' experiences, maybe I should go ahead and submit that Harvard application though ;)
Move to Texas! Everything is bigger here, incl. URM chances lol

Reactions: Vivalarevolution

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
A 27 is circling the drain for MD schools. I can think of perhaps only 4-5 schools that you'd be competitive at, outside of the LSU's. Your few hrs in patient contact experience will probably be lethal. You need to beef up the non-clinical volunteering as well. Being a frat boy doesn't help that much.

Hey everyone here are all my credentials:

27 with 8/10/9
3.9 cumulative and science GPA
Volunteered at a hospital for approx. 30 hours
Work as seasonal ER scribe with about 40 hours under my belt so far
Work an on campus job 15-20 hours a week
Have held 3 positions in my fraternity: scholarship chair, philanthropy committee, and secretary which also meant I am on the executive board
Went on a mission trip to Puerto Rico
I am a Louisiana resident and applying to both of the LSU schools.

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can give me.