27 with 1 month left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just got a 27 on my diag (10 P 10 B 7 V) today and i'm pretty bummed. Highest i've gotten so far is 30. Do I have enough time to significantly improve in about a month (May 16)? Anyone have any similar stories? I also gotta consider that I have finals week for school, so i'm getting pretty worried...Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just got a 27 on my diag (10 P 10 B 7 V) today and i'm pretty bummed. Highest i've gotten so far is 30. Do I have enough time to significantly improve in about a month (May 16)? Anyone have any similar stories? I also gotta consider that I have finals week for school, so i'm getting pretty worried...Thanks
Dawg... I would say to focus on the sciences. I worked on my physical sciences for one week. I read the entire TPR physical sciences book and worked out most of the problems. After that, I was scoring 13 easy on the practice AAMCs. And I'm not strong in chem or physics, at all.

So with some discipline and hardwork, it is definitely possible to juice your score. Good luck playa.

definitely you can do better. just make sure you as much time as possible doing problems and going over what you dont know. was it a kaplan diagnostic, cause are usually not god indicators of where you are.

Your score should definately go up if you put the time in. My score went up quite a bit in the last month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, you've got time. How many practice verbals have you taken? It's that verbal score that's going to kill you. Your sciences scores are good for Texas schools.

Remember: You can start filling out and submit TMDSAS before you get your MCAT scores back. I'd try to have it submitted by the end of May.

Hey, I'm in the same situation... my test is May 25. I'm not ready to start freaking out, though.. maybe I should? Anyway, I don't have much for advice, but I feel your pain...

You should be fine as long as you keep working on it
at one point I had spent a month trying to improve my 6 and it only went up to a 7 then to an 8 I was really nervous

but my scores started drastically increasing in the last month
eventually I got a couple 13's on practice tests in that subject (PS)
although I suppose VR is a slower move

You should be fine as long as you keep working on it
at one point I had spent a month trying to improve my 6 and it only went up to a 7 then to an 8 I was really nervous

but my scores started drastically increasing in the last month
eventually I got a couple 13's on practice tests in that subject (PS)
although I suppose VR is a slower move

How many months did it take to increase your score from 6 to 13? What books are you using to study? What type of method did you use to improve your score? Now I am at 6. And I am freaking out.

Mine is May 31st and I just made a 26 on Kaplan FL 26(9,8,9), which seems to be about average for them.

I went from a 26 on kaplan diagnostic to 33's and 34's in 1 month. It is possible...learn your equations and your pacing strategy...if you finish "properly" with out rushing the last 5-8 questions you should get above a 30.

Oh yeah, you've got time. How many practice verbals have you taken? It's that verbal score that's going to kill you. Your sciences scores are good for Texas schools.

Remember: You can start filling out and submit TMDSAS before you get your MCAT scores back. I'd try to have it submitted by the end of May.

Whoa are you saying I can submit my application before June 1? TMDSAS is application right? Or is that some texas thing?

Whoa are you saying I can submit my application before June 1? TMDSAS is application right? Or is that some texas thing?
TMDSAS is the Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service. If you're planning on applying to Texas public schools, then yeah, you can submit it before June 1st. But AMCAS, the national system, you can't submit before June 1st.

TMDSAS is the Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service. If you're planning on applying to Texas public schools, then yeah, you can submit it before June 1st. But AMCAS, the national system, you can't submit before June 1st.

Do you know what percentage of out of state students that Texas public schools take for med school?

I'm sort of confused with this out of state thing. Is it just not worth it to apply to out of state public schools because they prefer state residents? I am a resident of California by the way.

Yeah, I think no more than 10% for out of state applicants.

Gophurit:
Could you tell us exactly what you did to alter those scores so much?

Do you know what percentage of out of state students that Texas public schools take for med school?

I'm sort of confused with this out of state thing. Is it just not worth it to apply to out of state public schools because they prefer state residents? I am a resident of California by the way.
Yup, they're right. They must take 90% (or more) TX residents according to TX law.

Beware of Baylor too: they must take 70% TX residents. But it's a great school (I'm biased ;) ) so I'd encourage anyone to apply OOS, just realize they're going to give preference to TX people (oh and Baylor is on AMCAS, not TMDSAS).

You can easily raise your science scores 2-3 points in each section. Verbal...not so easy. Just take practice tests.

I second Anastasis, I have a friend(out of state) who got a 26 on his MCAT and didn't get in Houston. Another friend (in state) got a 22 on her MCAT and got in!
100% real. No kidding.

I'm with you. I have a 25 (10p 9b 6v) and i take my test may 31. i reached 10 in all the sections but on different tests. I hope I can pull 3 6s on the real one.. j/k

Yeah, I think no more than 10% for out of state applicants.

Gophurit:
Could you tell us exactly what you did to alter those scores so much?

I had to completely learn physics! I didn't know physics really
I went through the PR book, and honestly knew so little math/physics that I couldnt make sense out of what the course instructor was saying so I pretty much had to teach it to myself

I supplemented it with real physics books, and relearning some basic math skills
and I did half practice problems right after a section, saved the rest for later
and I re read any section and redid whole process for any subject or section type I got wrong on my practice tests

until it started getting better....

my personal reading tactic is to read the whole passage, not to write anything down

and for bio, I really only spent time learning sections in my weakest areas
(reviewing OCHEM!)

Don't panic with a 27 a month out. At least you have time!

Practice tests, every weekend, without fail, sit back and watch the score go up.

Don't trip! One month is a gift...use it wisely...now is the time that makes the difference for some people: if you keep pushing you can still see a significant score increase. Figure out what works for you and what doesn't in terms of studying and only do the former. You don't have time now to mess around. I know this is cheesy, but I want to say I believe you can do it. Go get 'em.