27 y/o Mother of 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeshymae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone i try and talk to is way too supportive to give me any actual advise.
I am 27 years old, I have two kids, 8 y.o and 6 y.o I am at a position where I don't know what path would be possible, or best to follow.
I have been at a community college for 7 years now (i was so disappointed when i realized this) Mostly because I have a GED (i was an orphan and had to support myself as a teen) so I did not have any of the basic courses, I had to start from the bottom, way down. Being a mother of two, working, and going to school, it has taken me a while. I was following the course for a biology degree but I'm at a point right now where I need a degree to show for those 7 years and biology will take me much more time.
With all that I have completed so far, I can graduate with a degree in Kinesiology after this fall. However, I still will not have all the science courses that matter. I don't want to spend more time at the CC and get a degree in Biology or whatever just to complete these courses, I want to move to a 4 year university and get a degree in Kinesiology :Exercise Science B.S. and then apply for medical school. My concern in completing the required science courses, should i take them at the university, take them at the CC, or do a post-bacc, thats where i am stuck, I don't know what will be the most time effective and I cannot seem to get any answers no matter how much i search.
I have the brains for it all, it's not a matter of not being able to complete them, it's a matter or "I'm so old already, I have 2 kids, and I have nothing to show for all these years of school"
If anyone with any sort of insight can help me, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming cost is not an issue, you can do your pre-reqs at a 4 year school. Post-bac is for when you complete your degree. Most of these are for career-changers to give them the pre-reqs, or for GPA repair.

Some med school adcoms prefer the pre-reqs be done ata 4 year school, but this varies greatly between med schools. MSAR Online will tell you which one takes which.

With all that I have completed so far, I can graduate with a degree in Kinesiology after this fall. However, I still will not have all the science courses that matter. I don't want to spend more time at the CC and get a degree in Biology or whatever just to complete these courses, I want to move to a 4 year university and get a degree in Kinesiology :Exercise Science B.S. and then apply for medical school. My concern in completing the required science courses, should i take them at the university, take them at the CC, or do a post-bacc, thats where i am stuck, I don't know what will be the most time effective and I cannot seem to get any answers no matter how much i search.

27 is NOT old. Some of my all-time best student shave been in their 30s and 40s. I've had single moms as students, so if they can do it, so can you. Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I have the brains for it all, it's not a matter of not being able to complete them, it's a matter or "I'm so old already, I have 2 kids, and I have nothing to show for all these years of school"
If anyone with any sort of insight can help me, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
First off, 27 is not old! I am 26, I also have some little guys that can make it a bit more complicated. I did something similar but I only spent two years at the CC and switched to a university to finish my bachelors and do the pre-reqs. I would do as Goro said and switch to a 4 year school to do your prerequisites and finish your degree. You should be able to get some good financial aid with the situation you are in.

One thing that may be a problem though is that it is taking you so long to get a degree. I understand you started at a disadvantage. It depends on how many courses you are taking per semester, because if you can't handle having kids and attending the same number of classes etc as others then how will you be able to handle medical school? Some food for thought - good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, 27 is not old! I am 26, I also have some little guys that can make it a bit more complicated. I did something similar but I only spent two years at the CC and switched to a university to finish my bachelors and do the pre-reqs. I would do as Goro said and switch to a 4 year school to do your prerequisites and finish your degree. You should be able to get some good financial aid with the situation you are in.

One thing that may be a problem though is that it is taking you so long to get a degree. I understand you started at a disadvantage. It depends on how many courses you are taking per semester, because if you can't handle having kids and attending the same number of classes etc as others then how will you be able to handle medical school? Some food for thought - good luck!!
Thank you for the advise. I had a mixture of full time semesters and some semesters where I only took a few classes. That was way back when I worked full time and was a single mom. I can handle the workload now as my full focus is school.

27 is not nearly old enough yet. You have a decent shot. I am 29 and justt starting my bachelors again at a CC with the intention of transferring to a 4 year. I will be at least 33-34by the time I apply and do MCATs. Almost 40 by the time I finish med school and close enough to 45 by the time I finish my residency. I say let's go for it mothers. We can do it.
What pushed me most was getting my baby. Now suddenly I realize I cannot genuinely tell him not to give up on his dreams unless I follow the same advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 26 year old D1 with a 7 year old. Your kids are at a good age for you to transfer to a 4-year so you can definitely get your pre-reqs and BS. I know how tough it is even though I have only one. I vote for the 4-year to broaden the schools you can apply to, especially if you are able to attend a state school and have in-state tuition.