28/29R MCAT, 3.91 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BassPlease

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to look at this:

I have taken the MCAT twice, unfortunately.

AUG 07: 9PS 10VR 10BS 29R
JAN 08: 8PS 9VR 11BS 28R

cGPA: 3.91
bcpmGPA: 3.93

I know that schools have individual policies on how they handle multiple MCATs, but I'm hoping that the majority will at least take the highest over (29R) if not the highest in each section (30R).

My EC's are pretty standard... research (award recipient, no pubs), tutoring, volunteer at a camp for terminally ill children, shadowing, EMT (only shadowing... in the process of receiving my license), honors/deans list, chem frat, TA...

The one thing I'm worried about is that I really only have ~100 hrs of true "clinical" experience between EMT and shadowing. I am not totally sure if my camp experience is clinical. I might consider it... all the children are patients, but the camp is removed from the hospital setting.

I am an Mass resident also.

Thanks!!!

-BP

Members don't see this ad.

I think your application sounds great, and you'll definitely have options (and you've got a GREAT shot at your state school). More options if schools consider it a 30 or 29 (I've heard Tufts will take the highest in each section, but I think Tufts may be a reach), but I think you'll have options nonetheless. I see you've really tailored your school list to a few states, which is perfectly fine. But if you're applying to NYMC and NYU, why not some of the SUNYs (you can get instate tuition after a year), Albert Einstein, MSSM, etc.? And how about Rochester, Albany and UVM?

I think if you get your application in EARLY (i.e., ASAP) and make sure you're complete and ready for review in July and/or early August I think you'll do well. And I wouldn't worry about your "pure" clinical hours. I think your ECs sound great and it would be odd for a school to find you lacking in that respect. And I do think you could count your summers helping terminally ill children as quasi-clinical experience if you want to. Regardless, just be sure to write good essays showing what you've learned/seen from the clinical experiences you have had. Good luck! :luck: