28 mcat, 3.3 gpa...what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddie2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know my numbers arent incredibly impressive. 28 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, but I have over a year of research experience, and I also worked in a doctor's office. I've also got quite a bit of community service.
I also included that I hope to do the military's HPSP...maybe it'll make me seem more diverse? (I actually plan to do it...not just trying to say that do gain admission)

I've applied to 19 US MD schools (only the ones I thought I might have a chance in) and 2 DO schools. They said they'd start letting people know about their interview statuses starting October 15th...and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm getting pretty worried.

Now I'm considering Caribbean schools. I've heard that 25% of Caribbean students can't even get a SINGLE residency. That's a scary thought to go through school and not be able to do a residency at all.

I guess my question is...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Do I have a shot?
Or should I just say eff it and try to find a job as a corporate slave somewhere....

-Ed

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean is a dead end. Just apply to 10+ DOs next cycle and you'll be fine.

With a 28 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA, your chances of getting into an MD school is very slim I think. If you can raise your GPA, you'd probably have a solid shot at DO schools. Don't do Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Apply to DO; your chances are good.

2. Do an SMP if not having and MD behind your name will kill you

3. Don't ever mention Caribbean unless you're planning to be jobless and 300K in debt in 2020

Everyone above is right go DO but if you want MD you will have to improve.

MD schools NO
DO schools YES
Carribean: YES, but only because you're breathing and can write a tuition check.

I know my numbers arent incredibly impressive. 28 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, but I have over a year of research experience, and I also worked in a doctor's office. I've also got quite a bit of community service.
I also included that I hope to do the military's HPSP...maybe it'll make me seem more diverse? (I actually plan to do it...not just trying to say that do gain admission)

I've applied to 19 US MD schools (only the ones I thought I might have a chance in) and 2 DO schools. They said they'd start letting people know about their interview statuses starting October 15th...and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm getting pretty worried.

Now I'm considering Caribbean schools. I've heard that 25% of Caribbean students can't even get a SINGLE residency. That's a scary thought to go through school and not be able to do a residency at all.

I guess my question is...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Do I have a shot?
Or should I just say eff it and try to find a job as a corporate slave somewhere....

-Ed