28 MCAT, 4.0 GPA -- apply early or retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ITtoMedSchool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your GPA, your MCAT could be the only thing holding you back from a more prestigious school. If you are only worried about getting into A medical school vs. THE medical school, however, then applying broadly would not be a bad option. Keep in mind, however, that your MCAT will be detrimental to your overall application.

The MCAT definitely isn't helping your app, but the fact that you took 19 practice tests and averaged a 31 means that in my opinion you should not retake. Scoring a few points below your average AAMC test average is very normal.. a 4.0/28 still gives you a pretty decent shot at some great programs. An 8 on verbal is pretty low but the major red flags seem to come in at 7 or below.

Retaking is an option, but if it were me I think I would apply early and broadly with your stats and if it looks like you're not getting in anywhere, retake the MCAT next spring.

on a side note, how long ago was your 2012 MCAT? Is any of the material still fresh or is it mostly all gone by now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check if schools pre-screen subsections. If they do cutoffs, it's usually for any section under 8.

Hi guys. I could use some advice on whether I should apply with my current stats or try to squeeze in an MCAT retake for this cycle.

Stats:
MCAT in 2011 ------------- 23M (7 PS/8 VR/8 BS)
MCAT retake in 2012 --- 28N (9 PS/8 VR/11 BS)
GPA: 4.0cGPA , 4.0sGPA
Nontraditional applicant with prior work experience at a large IT organization.

ECs:
Physician shadowing, volunteer at the ER, volunteer for hospice.
Leadership: I was in a two-year leadership development program in my first job out of college.

I took 19 practice exams before the MCAT and had been averaging a composite of 31 and had a verbal average around 10. I definitely underperformed on test day. I'm taking a summer class right now, so time is tight and I'd hate to retake the MCAT and risk doing the same or worse. I'm leaning towards applying early and broadly with my current stats and getting a health care related job over the summer. Does this sound like a good plan of attack? I plan to apply to MD and DO schools, but prefer MD.
Apply early and broadly. The fact that you have an 8+ in each section should make an MD acceptance possible this cycle considering your GPAs. :luck:

I think your logic is great. Apply broadly, especially at the mid-to-low ranked schools. A 28MCAT isn't low enough to offset your stellar GPA to the point where you won't get in if you apply to several schools. I think you'll get into some great programs as you are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.