28 on the MCAT...WHAT ARE MY CHANCES??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natfan05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I live in Texas and would like to go to a Texas Med school. I made a 28 on my MCAT (10B 9V 9P) and my gpa is fairly above avg. On the school transcript its a 3.9, but with the retakes include its probably closer to a 3.8. What are my chances, not based just on statistics necessarily (I used the very helpful sticky at the top of the thread), but on personal experience (ie people you know in my situation, etc)?

Thanks ya'll!

EC: I've had library research experience, interned for an organization that helps the uninsured fight cancer (its a network), and worked as a tutor for underprivileged hs students, i've began volunteering at a clinic every saturday and plan to continue this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If OP is talking about MD admissions, the grades for any individual class with retakes will be averaged. So that means that the school transcript GPA will appear higher than the one seen on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry i should've made that clear. the post above me is exactly what i was trying to say. My retakes are replaced in my transcript but med school gpa is a little lower b/c they are only averaged in.

Oh I see now. Well Im not sure about average Texas MCAT scores, but your gpa seems to by in good shape. I know that Texas has its own application service and does not use AMCAS and calculate gpa independently. They do not use a +/- system so that is something to think about.

I would probably retake the MCAT only if you know you can get a higher score. It's slightly low, but solidly balanced (based on what i've seen on SDN)

The fact that youre a texas resident will help alot. If your GPA is truly a 3.8+ (id calculate it with retakes included) I would just try and apply and see what happens unless you were getting like 35+ on the practice tests and for some reason you just screwed up on test day. Or if youre one of those pre meds who thinks if you dont go to john hopkins you are a failure at life then you obviously need to retake. But if you scored a within 2 points above or below your average its probably a bad idea to retake. If your goal is just to get into a medical school and you dont care which one just apply. Im in a similar situation myself, I got a 29 (10,10,9) and im just going to say **** it and apply. I couldnt stand the idea of giving up 3 more months of my life studying 6 hours a day. Hopefully it works for both of us good luck!

I think you're in a good shape. Apply very schools in TMDSAS and you should be accepted by at least one school.
BTW, are you from UT?

Thanks Guys! This website is really helpful!

I made about the same as I've been doing on my practice tests (I consistently made a 30 but that was without the stress and pressure of knowing that this was the real deal)....so retaking it is my last option unless I knew ahead of time, that my chances were low. This is why I posted and I really appreciate the support. I got down on myself when I read some of the posts that say "low mcat score" and are actually 32's 33's :( I immediately panicked and started posting my own data.

I definitely don't mind going to any school in Texas. Money is a huge issue and financially, OOS is not really an option. (I can't believe I'm using SDN lingo here...OOS? hehe) I think any medical school is really a good deal here in America and from what I've heard, definitely here in Texas, so I'll be really thankful.

However, my top schools are UTMB Galveston and UT San Antonio...anyone know people who have had luck at those schools?

Longhorn 09...I'm actually part of the UT system but I go to UT Dallas. I'll be graduating this May (so excited!)