28 to 31 MCAT and 3.9+ GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencebooks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

My MCAT retake score came in yesterday...

First: 12/7/9 - 28
Second: 10/9/12 - 31

GPA: 3.95
sGPA: ~3.85-3.9

Michigan resident

I'm a bit disappointed because my entire range on practice tests was 32-37 and I fell below, but at least I hit my original goal of being above a 30 with no 8s.

Activities:
- Work: I've usually held at least one job (nanny ~ 2.5 years, tutoring ~ 1.5 years, cheerleading coach ~ 1.5 years, secretary on campus currently)... Nanny job ended because the boys were old enough for school, tutoring because the student was succeeding, coaching because I was going abroad, etc. so all solid reasons
- Teaching: Personal tutor for a high school student ~ 1.5 years, training soon to teach ACT and MCAT orgo for TPR
- Research: Clinical research on asthma/family environments (psychology research) for ~1 year (given my semester break while abroad), two small grants (~2,300) and some poster presentations at UG conferences
- Hospital volunteering: ~3 years now once a week (don't know exact hours)
- Misc. volunteering: Church sports program (~4 sport seasons), two alternative spring breaks in the US, one trip to Haiti to install water filtration systems and do work (painting, etc.) at an orphange
- Shadowing: ~50 hours (at least?)
- Leadership: Started a cheerleading section to sports program mentioned above, organized to have the season end celebrations do book drives, treasurer of MSA (passed big budgets ~10k)
- Misc.: Semester abroad
- Hobbies: Travel, sign language (learned some through nannying but not proficient), writing (had a passage published in a book to shelfs this December), drop in gymnastics, etc.

I feel like I'm missing things... So ask if there's some hole, lol.

My question is... Is my MCAT okay for MD with everything else in mind? I just want to get into *a* school. Or should I started shadowing a DO since they DO schools seem to require that? :/

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

My MCAT retake score came in yesterday...

First: 12/7/9 - 28
Second: 10/9/12 - 31

GPA: 3.95
sGPA: ~3.85-3.9

Michigan resident

I'm a bit disappointed because my entire range on practice tests was 32-37 and I fell below, but at least I hit my original goal of being above a 30 with no 8s.

Activities:
- Work: I've usually held at least one job (nanny ~ 2.5 years, tutoring ~ 1.5 years, cheerleading coach ~ 1.5 years, secretary on campus currently)... Nanny job ended because the boys were old enough for school, tutoring because the student was succeeding, coaching because I was going abroad, etc. so all solid reasons
- Teaching: Personal tutor for a high school student ~ 1.5 years, training soon to teach ACT and MCAT orgo for TPR
- Research: Clinical research on asthma/family environments (psychology research) for ~1 year (given my semester break while abroad), two small grants (~2,300) and some poster presentations at UG conferences
- Hospital volunteering: ~3 years now once a week (don't know exact hours)
- Misc. volunteering: Church sports program (~4 sport seasons), two alternative spring breaks in the US, one trip to Haiti to install water filtration systems and do work (painting, etc.) at an orphange
- Shadowing: ~50 hours (at least?)
- Leadership: Started a cheerleading section to sports program mentioned above, organized to have the season end celebrations do book drives, treasurer of MSA (passed big budgets ~10k)
- Misc.: Semester abroad
- Hobbies: Travel, sign language (learned some through nannying but not proficient), writing (had a passage published in a book to shelfs this December), drop in gymnastics, etc.

I feel like I'm missing things... So ask if there's some hole, lol.

My question is... Is my MCAT okay for MD with everything else in mind? I just want to get into *a* school. Or should I started shadowing a DO since they DO schools seem to require that? :/

You have a lot of unique experiences. If you can sell yourself well, apply early, and apply to multiple schools, your chances should be good.

BTW, don't kid yourself: most people do better on their practice exams than on the actual exam. You improved from a 28 to a 31, and you should be proud of your hardwork. Good luck :luck:

You have a lot of unique experiences. If you can sell yourself well, apply early, and apply to multiple schools, your chances should be good.

BTW, don't kid yourself: most people do better on their practice exams than on the actual exam. You improved from a 28 to a 31, and you should be proud of your hardwork. Good luck :luck:

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, I'm trying to remind myself of this!!!

If you apply early, broadly, and write a good PS (which doesn't seem to be a problem considering you have published a story) you'll get into an MD.

If, somehow, you don't get in you could reapply and apply DO next season and you will surely get a DO and maybe an MD, but I think you'll get into MD first try.

Best of luck!