28 y/o Biomedical M.Sc Non-Trad transition to Med School. Need Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroSigh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanting to go into Med School, Psychiatry route. Give it to me bluntly:

Current situation
--------------------------
I am currently a 28 year old M.Sc student in Biomedical Sciences. I am finishing my thesis in the next month and am taking very seriously the prospect of medical school. I was PhD bound for the last 1.5 years, but switched to a terminal M.Sc as my chances in academia were about as likely as me becoming a rock-star.

While applying to graduate school, I was seriously considering the MD route but I had spent the previous 3 years in undergrad tailoring myself to the PhD, had taken the GRE, wrote the statements etc. and I thought I could never work medicine long term due to fact that a debilitating form of ataxia runs in my family, so I went for the PhD and got in to all my top choices. Well then...concurrent with the start of grad school, I tested negative for ataxia (luck), funding for prof's I wanted to work with was cut, and grad school became a very dark place.

I know some admission committees may see this as a red flag, but to me it is a career switch into something viable that lines up with my interest in science and medicine and fulfills that itch to connect to individuals and tell someone, "I understand, and I am here to help you." I know that is a bit romanticized, but God were things like that just vacant in academia.

Academics
--------------------------
My GPA from grad school is 3.94 (M.S Biomedical), from Undergrad 3.87 (B.S Neuroscience), and then community college 3.35 (AS Biological Science).

I have a few pock marks on my record which I am concerned with. In CC, the ataxia I feared I would get took my fathers life and I just withdrew an entire semester. However, one prof didn't get the memo and FAILED me in Orgo I (it was supposed to be a W). I retook Orgo I the next semester and got a B.

Then in Undergrad I got a C in Orgo II, as I struggled with depression. (Regret this often).

CC aside and the C in Orgo II, everything else from my undergraduate institution is essentially flawless (except for a B in Spanish IV).

I currently am missing 1 year of physics, which I may take this quarter as I finish writing and start the MCAT process.

How is my GPA? Will being a CC graduate affect my chances? Will those Orgo pock marks kill me? Should I retake Orgo II?

Other
---------------------------
I have been in research for the past 5 years, so I have tons of experience in cognitive psych, behavioral pharmacology, electrophysiology & molecular biology.

I also have my CNA with 250 hours of clinical work so far but it is expired and it has been 7 years since I worked as one. Currently, I volunteer at a hospital, and am trying to get some footing in the neuro/psych departments to shadow.

I am debating getting re-certified for my CNA...or getting my psychiatric technician license and working that as it is more in line with my interests in medicine.

I have spent almost the past decade in school with little working experience aside from research assistant positions and part time gigs in odd jobs, which may also be a red-flag to admin committees (jumping school --> school --> school)

I realize I will be 30-31 once I start, 34-35 when I finish, and 38-39 when I am ready to roll (assuming psychiatry).

Overall...what are my chances? And, just from your perspectives...is this a move I should be making at this age with little career experience aside from academia?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I frankly think you have a great shot after you finish up the prereqs. I'm in my late 20s nearing 30s and just started. It's worth it.

The C in Orgo I really wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would not retake it, as you have demonstrated your capabilities and will continue to through the MCAT. In fact, I wouldn't really give it a passing mention anywhere, only be ready to explain it if asked.

That's my two cents. Some people may say you should address it in at least your personal statement, but I don't think anyone thinks you need a retake, especially given your GPAs.