28Q MCAT and 3.3 GPA, Hispanic/Black Male, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bronxpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 27Q the first time (10BS, 9PS, 8V), the second time I scored a 28Q (10BS, 11PS, 7V). My first question is should I retake it a third time, or should I just apply with these scores. Verbal has always hurt me, and I dont know how much more I could improve. My second question is do I stand a good chance being an URM at the NY schools even though the average MCAT for most of the schools is above a 30.

Members don't see this ad.

I scored a 27Q the first time (10BS, 9PS, 8V), the second time I scored a 28Q (10BS, 11PS, 7V). My first question is should I retake it a third time, or should I just apply with these scores. Verbal has always hurt me, and I dont know how much more I could improve. My second question is do I stand a good chance being an URM at the NY schools even though the average MCAT for most of the schools is above a 30.

It really depends on how early you applied. Regardless you have a pretty good chance of getting into medical school as long as you applied broadly. I would suggest applying to other states too not just NY.

How did you study for the MCAT the first and second time? There are some very good threads in the MCAT Discussions subforum that you might want to check out.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea it really depends on how late you applied because I feel like that schools reserve a certain number of spots for URM's. Also, many URM's could be applying with better GPA/MCAT and fill those spots. So it all depends on timing and who is applying. It is really impossible to tell in my opinion unless you submitted end of June/beginning July.

Thanks for all of the input. I am actually applying for the 2013 cycle because I didn't take the MCAT till Sept 2nd. I was just wondering if it would prudent for me to retake it in the spring to try and improve on verbal or would having 3 scores look bad? I am simply worried that med schools will look down upon me for going down from an 8 to a 7 in verbal.

Thanks for all of the input. I am actually applying for the 2013 cycle because I didn't take the MCAT till Sept 2nd. I was just wondering if it would prudent for me to retake it in the spring to try and improve on verbal or would having 3 scores look bad? I am simply worried that med schools will look down upon me for going down from an 8 to a 7 in verbal.

Honestly, you're fine. All you have to worry about is being complete at most schools in June-July. If you apply early and broadly around the US, I predict you will get close to at least 2-3 interviews.

Honestly, you're fine. All you have to worry about is being complete at most schools in June-July. If you apply early and broadly around the US, I predict you will get close to at least 2-3 interviews.

Alright, that definitely relieves some anxiety. Thanks for your insight.

I would recommend taking a few more classes to try to get that GPA up some more if you are really wanting MD over DO. If you are open to going either direction I would also recommend applying to NYCOM where your MCAT would be more impressive and would help to compensate for your lower GPA.

How much weight do medical schools place on the undergraduate university you attended when looking at your gpa? For instance would a med school place more weight on the GPA coming from a more prestigious university vs somewhere like a state school? I've heard mix thoughts about this and I was just wondering if any of you knew for sure what the true answer is?

How much weight do medical schools place on the undergraduate university you attended when looking at your gpa? For instance would a med school place more weight on the GPA coming from a more prestigious university vs somewhere like a state school? I've heard mix thoughts about this and I was just wondering if any of you knew for sure what the true answer is?
The true answer is that every school is different: some schools figure in an adjustment factor for the undergrad you attended and some don't. In my experience (n=1) "prestige" has less to do with it than the rigor of the program and their grading practices. Unfortunately, few schools advertise their formulaic approach to ranking applicants, thus the need to "apply broadly.".