29O MCAT and 3.6 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashbabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I even have a chance???:(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Just make sure your ECs are as strong as possible and apply to schools that offers programs to which your experience makes you a good fit.

Knowing your state of residence would help us give you a more accurate answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I am a resident of California... so I feel like I am going to have a hard time getting into a CA school and have a problem with the whole out-of-state thing in other states. My EC's include:

*volunteer at children's hospital -6 months
*research in communications/psychology for 2+ years
*appointed position in a sorority
*work for my school's orientation program
*interned for two summers at the CA attorney general's office
*received funding from the NSF three times for my research

Your stats will be a problem since you're from California. In my opinion another big problem is the sparse clinical experience. The research and leadership look fine. You also need physician shadowing experience.

If I were you, I'd give strong consideration to waiting another year before you apply. You need to beef up your activities. You'd have time to get your GPA higher. And you would have plenty of time to prepare for and retake the MCAT.

While your stats would be fine for applying to DO med schools now, their adcomms also expect a decent amount of clinical experience, and pretty much all need physician shadowing with an letter of recommendation.

I think you have a decent shot if you apply broadly, to both MD and DO. Try to beef up ECs this summer if you can

I think you have a decent shot if you apply broadly, to both MD and DO. Try to beef up ECs this summer if you can

Well she has a shot if she applies broadly to MD schools. She's basically a lock at DO schools.