29P, 3.83 GPA, 3.6 major GPA Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiscomed10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an 11 on Biological, 10 on Verbal, and 8 on Physical... I play college basketball and am a team captain. I have heard my PS is very good so do I have a good shot at:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana
Northwestern
Michigan

Also applied to Stanford as I did a summer of research there with a good letter of rec from my lab director.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I am guessing you're from Wisconsin?

2. Are those the ONLY schools to which you are applying?

3. Have you submitted your primary yet?

4. AMCAS doesn't look at 'major' GPA - but science GPA: what's yours?

5. Extracurriculars?

Northwestern will be quite a reach with that MCAT. I had a similar score and got some good advice as to where to apply - would you like some help adding schools? (I think you should plan to apply to at LEAST 15).

1. I am guessing you're from Wisconsin?

2. Are those the ONLY schools to which you are applying?

3. Have you submitted your primary yet?

4. AMCAS doesn't look at 'major' GPA - but science GPA: what's yours?

5. Extracurriculars?

Northwestern will be quite a reach with that MCAT. I had a similar score and got some good advice as to where to apply - would you like some help adding schools? (I think you should plan to apply to at LEAST 15).
1. Yes

2. Mayo, North Carolina, and Kentucky

3. Waiting on one last Personal Statement revision so hopefully this week or next

4. science GPA is 3.667

5. Like I said I play collegiate basketball, team captain, research at Stanford and Washington University in St. Louis, a few leadership EC's, job shadowing

6. Please any advice on schools is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
Oof, the school list I am seeing so far is a little top heavy. My stats are: 29S (10,10,9), cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.55 and this is my list of schools and where I designate them in terms of matches with my stats (I'm from Ohio):

1. U Cincinnati - reach
2. Wright State - match
3. NEOUCOM - 'safety'
4. Toledo - 'safety'
5. U Kentucky - reach
6. U Louisville - match
7. Med College of Wisconsin - match
8. Saint Louis U - reach
9. Wake Forest - reach
10. Drexel - match
11. Temple - match
12. George Washington - match
13. Med College of S. Carolina - match
14. U South Carolina - match
15. Rosalind Franklin - match
16. Loyola Chicago - match

Now, I could be off on these guesstimations of reach, match, safety - but that's what I'm calling them. I think it's important to have 2-4 schools BELOW your stats, the bulk (8-10) schools right around your stats, and it's completely fine to have some reaches in there, too (2-4).

IMO, Mayo, UNC and Northwestern are definitely reaches considering your stats. And Indiana has a big in-state preference, so that's another. I would definitely choose some more schools in the 'match' area - what about other schools in Chicago: Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, etc? Pennsylvania schools also could be considered matches: Commonwealth, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson all accept a good amt of OOS applicants.

The only hole I'm seeing with regard to your ECs is a lack of volunteering (unless you just didn't mention it) - and does 'job shadowing' mean 'physician shadowing'?

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated. Also, check out MDapps.com for some more help w/ where people have gotten accepted with stats similar to yours. [others will tell you to look at the MSAR, but I just used studentdoctor.net and MDapps.com - REBEL!] :thumbup:

Oof, the school list I am seeing so far is a little top heavy. My stats are: 29S (10,10,9), cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.55 and this is my list of schools and where I designate them in terms of matches with my stats (I'm from Ohio):

1. U Cincinnati - reach
2. Wright State - match
3. NEOUCOM - 'safety'
4. Toledo - 'safety'
5. U Kentucky - reach
6. U Louisville - match
7. Med College of Wisconsin - match
8. Saint Louis U - reach
9. Wake Forest - reach
10. Drexel - match
11. Temple - match
12. George Washington - match
13. Med College of S. Carolina - match
14. U South Carolina - match
15. Rosalind Franklin - match
16. Loyola Chicago - match

Now, I could be off on these guesstimations of reach, match, safety - but that's what I'm calling them. I think it's important to have 2-4 schools BELOW your stats, the bulk (8-10) schools right around your stats, and it's completely fine to have some reaches in there, too (2-4).

IMO, Mayo, UNC and Northwestern are definitely reaches considering your stats. And Indiana has a big in-state preference, so that's another. I would definitely choose some more schools in the 'match' area - what about other schools in Chicago: Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, etc? Pennsylvania schools also could be considered matches: Commonwealth, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson all accept a good amt of OOS applicants.

The only hole I'm seeing with regard to your ECs is a lack of volunteering (unless you just didn't mention it) - and does 'job shadowing' mean 'physician shadowing'?

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated. Also, check out MDapps.com for some more help w/ where people have gotten accepted with stats similar to yours. [others will tell you to look at the MSAR, but I just used studentdoctor.net and MDapps.com - REBEL!] :thumbup:
Ideally I want to get into Minnesota, Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, or Indiana. I have strong family ties to Indiana so I think that helps there a lot. What are my chances for those 4 then? My job shadowing was with physicians and I plan on doing more of it this summer still. Volunteering is a hole I know but I'm hoping my leadership and committment to basketball will help with that a little bit. Thanks for you help!

Ideally I want to get into Minnesota, Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, or Indiana. I have strong family ties to Indiana so I think that helps there a lot. What are my chances for those 4 then? My job shadowing was with physicians and I plan on doing more of it this summer still. Volunteering is a hole I know but I'm hoping my leadership and committment to basketball will help with that a little bit. Thanks for you help!

Well, I certainly don't recommend applying to places where you wouldn't be happy. So, if you think you would only be happy at one of those four places, then applying only there is the way to go - however, I'm afraid this puts you at a grave disadvantage. Plus, you may end up pleasantly surprised with a different program.

U Minnesota accepts ~25-30% OOS, w/ average stats around 30-31 & 3.66.

U Wisconsin is more competitive - you're at somewhat of an advantage being in-state, since last year's entering class was 79% in-state. However, stats are looking more like: 31-32, 3.72.

MCW stats are around 30, 3.75. Again, good that you're in-state!

Indiana is 80%+ in-state, with stats of 30-31, 3.73.

As Catalystik likes to share, this is from the AAMC FACTS - data from the last three years: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

It tells you based on your MCAT and GPA, you have approximately a 68.3% chance of acceptance. However, you need to keep in mind that the average applicant applies to at least 10, if not 15-20 schools, so your chances could be about HALF that.

Anyway, hope this helps. All this being said, I think your best chance is at MCW - apply early there (not early decision, just early) and send update letters (and all that jazz) - but I very strongly suggest you also apply more broadly!