29P, 4.0 GPA... what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttermellow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my mcat score back (29P, 10-9-10) which was below my aamc average of ~32, but I'm not sure if I want to retake.

I have a 4.0 from a public school in Missouri (my home state). I plan on applying to schools with median mcat scores of 30-31. The rest of my EC's are on my MDApps profile if you want to see them.

I'm just stuck and I don't know what to do. Retake and delay my app until my scores come back mid-August? Retake and submit anyways? Don't retake?

What are my chances with the 29P? I'm only applying MD, btw.

Update: I thought it would be helpful for other people if we saw updates on these types of posts every once in a while. I applied to 10 schools, was interviewed at 3 (My state school, Creighton, and U of Nebraska) and was rejected from all 3. Well, technically I'm still on the Creighton WL, but seeing as class starts in like 10 days...

I retook the mcat a week ago, and am applying again this cycle. I had OK EC's and a pretty good personal statement (or so I thought). I have more shadowing on this app, which may have held me back the first time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Assuming you apply correctly, have decent ECs, can write a decent PS, you should be fine. Without more info it's really unlikely to get a solid answer here.

I am in the exact same situation, however retaking for this application cycle would do more harm than good, being early is key. In the off chance it seems that an acceptance is not likely, you can begin putting a good deal of work in preparing to rock the MCAT for the next application cycle. I know how you feel I scored 4 points less than my median. However, from people I have talked to who had similar situations we are okay, just apply broadly. While a 29 is not doing us any favors, our GPA and other ECs will be more than enough to secure interviews and then acceptances. :thumbup:

Btw, according to AAMC- 67%- https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Haha, I looked at that chart immediately after I got my score. Hopefully since i'm in the upper range of both categories (4.0 in the 3.8-4.0, 29 in the 27-29) my chances are higher. Too bad I'm kind of a normal, caucasian applicant. I'm trying to make mu PS stand out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I looked at that chart immediately after I got my score. Hopefully since i'm in the upper range of both categories (4.0 in the 3.8-4.0, 29 in the 27-29) my chances are higher. Too bad I'm kind of a normal, caucasian applicant. I'm trying to make mu PS stand out :)

Only if you know you can get a 33+ I would try to take it asap.

Otherwise apply and get accepted :)

Only if you know you can get a 33+ I would try to take it asap.

Otherwise apply and get accepted :)

Well, I thought I would get a 33 the first time so now I have no hope that I could get a 33+ with another try. I think I'll just submit now and hope for the best! :)

I am in the same boat, except my GPA is not quite as good. What schools are you applying to? Good luck with the application process and keep us informed!

Well, I thought I would get a 33 the first time so now I have no hope that I could get a 33+ with another try. I think I'll just submit now and hope for the best! :)

I am in the same boat, except my GPA is not quite as good. What schools are you applying to? Good luck with the application process and keep us informed!

My school list so far:
Missouri-Columbia
Creighton
LSU- New Orleans
The Commonwealth
Toledo
Arkansas
Kansas
Nebraska
UTHSC
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
WVU
Sanford SOM (I have state ties)
GWU
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Alabama

I might trim a couple, but I feel like I need to apply broadly. It's just so much money!:eek:

What does your school list look like?

Haha I know, it's a little ridiculous as far as the costs go. My school list is fairly similar to yours:

Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Indiana University
Jefferson
Loyola
NYMC
NEOUCOM
Penn St
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU
Temple
Commonwealth
Ohio St
Toledo
UofCincinnati
Louisville
Rochester
VCU
WVU
Wright St.

I know that it is a ton of schools but I'm really worried that my MCAT score will keep me out of most schools. Hopefully some schools show us love!:xf:

Haha I know, it's a little ridiculous as far as the costs go. My school list is fairly similar to yours:

Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Indiana University
Jefferson
Loyola
NYMC
NEOUCOM
Penn St
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU
Temple
Commonwealth
Ohio St
Toledo
UofCincinnati
Louisville
Rochester
VCU
WVU
Wright St.

I know that it is a ton of schools but I'm really worried that my MCAT score will keep me out of most schools. Hopefully some schools show us love!:xf:

I bet what will happen is that I'll spend tons of time, money, and sanity applying and interviewing at schools and I'll end up getting accepted off of my state school's waitlist in late May...

My school list so far:
Missouri-Columbia
Creighton
LSU- New Orleans
The Commonwealth
Toledo
Arkansas
Kansas
Nebraska
UTHSC
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
WVU
Sanford SOM (I have state ties)
GWU
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Alabama

I might trim a couple, but I feel like I need to apply broadly. It's just so much money!:eek:

What does your school list look like?

If you don't have ties to Louisiana you probably shouldn't bother with LSU

I am pretty sure Alabama is the same way, but I am not positive on that one

If you don't have ties to Louisiana you probably shouldn't bother with LSU

LSU is opening a pretty decent number of seats this year for OOS. Are those spots contingent on state ties?

I'm in the exact same boat! Same MCAT breakdown (except WS was an S, but that means nothing haha), and I have a GPA close to a 4.0. I actually submitted my app last week, so hopefully things work out. I think if we manage to get secondaries from most places then we're in good shape, as it seems like MCAT/GPA are more screening factors and all of the other things (EC's, PS, recs, etc.) determine if you get the acceptance. Good Luck!

Just edited/updated the original post, for those who might be in my situation right now.