2nd application cycle to dental school, started post bacc, avg DAT, what should I do/WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rafacena

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an average undergrad GPA but because I got 2-3 C's and 1 D, I thought I should do a post bacc. I am about to reapply to dental school this cycle and got rejected from most schools I applied to last cycle. The one school I felt like I could have gotten into (Meharry) I don't think they received my secondary app because I was waiting until May and still hadn't gotten a rejection or acceptance letter from them so I went ahead to their portal and was able to submit the secondary. Obviously that was past the deadline, so I knew they wouldn't take it but it was only after submitting the secondary, that 1 week later I got a rejection letter from them.

Right now, I am enrolled in a post bacc program, but it's only been 2 semesters for me (spring and summer 1) and my GPA is lower than undergrad. Can I leave off my post bacc program on my app? How would dental schools know if I ever went to a post bacc?

I really feel like without the post bacc, I might have a decent chance at dental school.

Undergrad-
  • cGPA: 3.45
  • sGPA: 3.16
Post Bacc (only completed 12 credit hours so far out of 33-35) -
  • cGPA and sGPA: 3.00
DAT-
  • AA: 19
  • Reading: 30

Members don't see this ad.

The one school I felt like I could have gotten into (Meharry) I don't think they received my secondary app because I was waiting until May and still hadn't gotten a rejection or acceptance letter from them so I went ahead to their portal and was able to submit the secondary.
You've gotta be on top of things.
Right now, I am enrolled in a post bacc program, but it's only been 2 semesters for me (spring and summer 1) and my GPA is lower than undergrad. Can I leave off my post bacc program on my app? How would dental schools know if I ever went to a post bacc?
No. You must report all classes/grades/schools/programs you've been in. If you leave it off and they find out (because they can easily), you will be screwed. I wouldn't take that chance.
I really feel like without the post bacc, I might have a decent chance at dental school.

Undergrad-
  • cGPA: 3.45
  • sGPA: 3.16
Post Bacc (only completed 12 credit hours so far out of 33-35) -
  • cGPA and sGPA: 3.00
DAT-
  • AA: 19
  • Reading: 30
Even without the post-bacc, I don't think you'd have a "decent" chance. Your sGPA is really low, as is your DAT (from just those two scores, it seems like your AA is being heavily inflated by your 30 in RC). What happened in the 3-4 classes you've taken over 2 semesters? Why are your grades so low when you're not full-time? Be honest - no excuses

What are your overall and science GPAs with allllllll of your grades, undergrad (with the Cs & D since AADSAS doesn't do grade replacement) + post-bacc? I wouldn't apply until you have more of an upward trend with your GPA & a new DAT score (21-22+, nothing below 20).

You've gotta be on top of things.

No. You must report all classes/grades/schools/programs you've been in. If you leave it off and they find out (because they can easily), you will be screwed. I wouldn't take that chance.

Even without the post-bacc, I don't think you'd have a "decent" chance. Your sGPA is really low, as is your DAT (from just those two scores, it seems like your AA is being heavily inflated by your 30 in RC). What happened in the 3-4 classes you've taken over 2 semesters? Why are your grades so low when you're not full-time? Be honest - no excuses

What are your overall and science GPAs with allllllll of your grades, undergrad (with the Cs & D since AADSAS doesn't do grade replacement) + post-bacc? I wouldn't apply until you have more of an upward trend with your GPA & a new DAT score (21-22+, nothing below 20).
So for me, it was a learning curve and getting used to the rigor of the post bacc that made my GPA 3.0 in the post bacc. I feel very strongly about my upcoming Fall semester's performance because I will be repeating anatomy (6 credits) which I feel like I can get an A in this time and I plan on taking only 1 more class in addition to that so it is more manageable. The above listed GPA is accurate, I didn't do any grade replacement thing because I knew AADSAS doesn't look at replacements.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 3.45 and 3.16 are from undergrad only. I haven't combined them with my post bacc. I am trying to find a way to export my grades from AADSAS into Excel so I can make those calculations.

The 3.45 and 3.16 are from undergrad only. I haven't combined them with my post bacc. I am trying to find a way to export my grades from AADSAS into Excel so I can make those calculations.
Okay, that's why I asked for allllll of them together:
What are your overall and science GPAs with allllllll of your grades, undergrad (with the Cs & D since AADSAS doesn't do grade replacement) + post-bacc?

Update your post once you have your GPAs calculated with everything, every class you've taken.

So my overall cGPA for both undergrad + post-bacc is 3.41 and overall sGPA is 3.13.