2nd bachelor's in nursing or masters post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I have a huge dilemma that I could really use some advice for. I finished a degree in Biochemistry from a top 20 University in 2011, but had a 2.8 graduation cGPA. science is even lower. I took the mcat twice, and went from a 26 to a 30. Since graduation i have been working at a top tier medical school doing research and will be doing that through next year.

I am applying this cycle, but I know the chances of an acceptance are slim to none.

What I really advice on is how to go from here? I have two options.

1. Get a 2nd bachelors in nursing in an accelerated program. To do this, I will be taking all the required pre-reqs in a community college and then applying this november for a spot for Summer 2013. I would apply in the 2013 cycle and hopefully with the added classes and another full year of nursing classes (very related to healthcare), I will have a better shot of getting in.

2. I can take a few classes at a time at a local university both in the fall and spring while applying to gpa-enhancing post-bacc programs that I would hopefully be in during 203-2014. During that same year, i would apply to medical school.

My question to you is this: Which is the better option? If I do the nursing route, the classes are different, but I would have an actual degree that could help me have a career in healthcare. But I would be re-applying with community college credits and no other real classes to show that I am changed student...would that be enough?
Or do I take classes 4-5 classes at a 4-year university and apply for a masters post-bac? This will be a lot of money, money i don't necessarily have. But I really want to get into medical school in the next couple of years.

What do you all think? Any advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There is some evidence that those that come from allied health profession programs directly into applying to medicine are at a disadvantage. However, if you did study allied health and have some experience (say 4 years as a nurse), you probably aren't at a disadvantage. Why is this? Because you've taken the time and space from a professional school designed to deliver health care just for selfish career purposes. In the second scenario, it is much more believable that a person has had a genuine change of heart.

I'm not an ADCOM, but if I were, I'd automatically reject any borderline applicant that took the selfish route. You have a backup? Good, most others kids don't have it. Therefore, I rather you do your second best and the other guy his number one.

Hi Everyone,

So I have a huge dilemma that I could really use some advice for. I finished a degree in Biochemistry from a top 20 University in 2011, but had a 2.8 graduation cGPA. science is even lower. I took the mcat twice, and went from a 26 to a 30. Since graduation i have been working at a top tier medical school doing research and will be doing that through next year.

I am applying this cycle, but I know the chances of an acceptance are slim to none.

What I really advice on is how to go from here? I have two options.

1. Get a 2nd bachelors in nursing in an accelerated program. To do this, I will be taking all the required pre-reqs in a community college and then applying this november for a spot for Summer 2013. I would apply in the 2013 cycle and hopefully with the added classes and another full year of nursing classes (very related to healthcare), I will have a better shot of getting in.

2. I can take a few classes at a time at a local university both in the fall and spring while applying to gpa-enhancing post-bacc programs that I would hopefully be in during 203-2014. During that same year, i would apply to medical school.

My question to you is this: Which is the better option? If I do the nursing route, the classes are different, but I would have an actual degree that could help me have a career in healthcare. But I would be re-applying with community college credits and no other real classes to show that I am changed student...would that be enough?
Or do I take classes 4-5 classes at a 4-year university and apply for a masters post-bac? This will be a lot of money, money i don't necessarily have. But I really want to get into medical school in the next couple of years.

What do you all think? Any advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Option #2 is the better choice. Getting As in CC-level nursing coursework is not going to prove to adcomms that you have what it takes to consistently excel in the science-strong curriculum of a med school.

A third choice would be to retake your classes with the lowest grades and take advantage of the AACOMAS DO grade replacement policy to raise your application GPAs.

If your workplace is affiliated with an undergrad university, check into whether your job comes with a tuition benefit, which is commonly available when one works for an academic institution.

Please don't post the same thread in multiple forums. Anyone wishing to help the OP may do so in the thread in nontraditional students.

Status
Not open for further replies.