• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

2nd Bachelors to raise GPA

Hunypot

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! I was wondering what peoples opinions are on working on a 2nd bachelors degree to raise your GPA for vet school. I graduated in 05 with somewhat low GPA, I've applied to vet school and it seems that I am not getting an interview this year. So, I am wondering if I went back and started work on another degree, and was able to raise my GPA, would the ad com see that as having more weight than my first degree or not? I am having a hard time thinking of ways to raise my GPA...any ideas would be appreciated. By the way, UC Davis (where I would be going) does not offer post-bac programs. Also, my pre-reqs will still be low from the first degree? Any ideas on how to improve would be appreciated! I'm sure there are lots of people in the same boat!

mistifical

VMRCVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
MD/VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I would suggest that you call some of the vet schools you have applied to and/or are interested in and discussing how to strengthen your application. They may suggest a masters over a 2nd bachelors...

AuburnPreVet

AU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Podunk
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
My personal opinion is that if you have a decent (maybe >3.1-3.3) you should do a one year "special" masters, as opposed to a post-bacc or 2nd bacc. If your GPA is much lower than a 3.1ish, I'd def do more undergraduate work...rather than a masters, or in addition to a masters.

About the Ads

TurboVet

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
as someone with a 2nd bachelor's i can give you the scoop- go do more undergrad work, not master's work. some schools don't count masters work the same way. you will have to work hard and take a LOT more classes than you normally would have to offset the weight of your already accumulated GPA. I had to take a straight year of undergrad all hard sci courses and get As in all to bring mine up just a smidge. if you want another DEGREE, then get another degree that will help you. if not, just take more hard sci (sci GPA) courses and that will help you the most.

alonepear

MissState CVM 2011
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
NC -> MS
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
The admissions counselor I spoke with after my rejection last year told me that going back to school for another Bachelors to raise my GPA was my only option for getting into vet school.

I just couldn't bear getting another degree and spending all that money when the degree I wanted most was the DVM. So instead, I took one undergrad course a semester just to show I could make A's if I tried, and varied my experience big time. Research, small animal, exotic animals, volunteering at various places. I made sure I left an AWESOME impression on everyone I worked with, scored excellent letters of recommendation, and this year I was admitted!

Moral of the story, yes it is one way of raising your GPA, and some schools would recommend it, but there are other ways!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.