2nd Pass of First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjohn101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long is everyone generally spending or planning on spending on their second pass of First Aid?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how many times you plan to read it. Could you be more specific?
I'm not really asking in terms of how many times I plan on reading it, more in terms of getting the most out of it, i don't want to rush through the second pass, but at the same time I know it will be a lot faster than the first pass.

So I'm just trying to get an idea on how long people generally spend on the second pass.

The first pass took me about 21 days (that was with doing uworld questions as well). The second pass i'm going to be doing the same: Fist Aid + Uworld (2-3 block/day).

Last edited:
Well you seem to have already gone through it pretty fast the first time. It took me ~3 weeks at 8-12 hrs/day to get the first cover-to-cover pass across, and I would never have had time for questions as well. After I finished, I started USMLE Rx.

I'm literally about 2900 questions through Rx right now, and that's obviously required, not an additional cover-to-cover pass, but instead a desultory second-pass, which has gotten me very familiar with the book. My point being: I have the feeling that a thorough and thoughtful cover-to-cover pass for me at this point would take between 1-2 weeks. For you, considering you were fast the first time and have also been doing questions, I would say a solid read in <10 days should be the goal at this point (and if you do it in a week, then even better).