2nd semester of college, gpa: 3.7 (Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rouii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have an overall 3.7gpa.
However in my science classes I have received
Gen Chem 1: B
Gen Chem 2: B
Bio 1: A

I am taking an orgo chem summer class which I will probably get a B, but am obviously aiming for an A. Are my grades okay? Do I need to get all As from now on to get into med school? What are my chances? How much time do I need to study the MCAT? Should I start now or focus on my current classes? Any good YouTube videos/books to study MCAT?

Sorry for all the questions,
But thank you for any guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

The average GPA of applicants is 3.54. The average GPA of matriculants is 3.71.

Now go do the math what grades you will need to get into medical school. Or, better yet: just try to get the best grades you can.

In terms of Gen Chem, I don't know about your school, but General Chemistry was very easy in comparison to my other classes. I would assess why you are not performing at an A level at this point. Is it because you don't know how to study? Is it laziness/lack of will/lack of discipline?

Also you ask what are my chances? Dude: you have at least two years before you should be asking that. Figure out what needs to get done between now and application time:

-good grades
-retaining long term for the MCAT (buy some books now and study for your classes with MCAT in mind)
-community service
-clinical experience

-research

Members don't see this ad :)

I am taking an orgo chem summer class which I will probably get a B, but am obviously aiming for an A. Are my grades okay? Do I need to get all As from now on to get into med school? What are my chances? How much time do I need to study the MCAT? Should I start now or focus on my current classes? Any good YouTube videos/books to study MCAT?

A few B's do not make or break your application. Remember that grades only make a portion of your app (a good chunk, but still). Try to bring up the GPA, obviously. There's a correlation from the AAMC relating your MCAT and GPA to success percentage-wise. Google it.

You don't need perfect As to get in, but higher grades never can hurt. If it goes lower, it will hurt IMO. Watch your health however, as striving for perfection can get rough if you aren't prepared and can hurt you in the long run. For example, if in the next semester, you're committed to getting all As for life, and then you get a B or even a C, will you be able to stomach it and keep moving?

If you can, I'd shy away from the summer orgo. Orgo is tough in and of itself, compounded with a summer class that will test you. You have to ask if it's worth it. As an admin says here commonly, it's high risk with low reward. If you suck, an adcom will see that. If you ace it, an adcom won't care and will glance over it with gusto.

Chances: If those are all the science classes you've taken, you have plenty of time. Do well in class. Don't be a robot. Study for the MCAT later, speaking of which...

MCAT: I prefer three month prep with EK. Didn't like anything else. Buy all the tests you can and find the free diagnostics. Save the official ones until last. First two months is pure studying about a chapter a day and rewrite/review everything, everyday. Then, the last month is a three day cycle of test, review, break. Take your officials last. There's an indicator around that predicts what you'll get on test day based on the official FLs; it's scarily accurate. Don't study the day before. Relax.

Reactions: 1 user
okay thank you for the information!
Time to focus on studying!

A 3.7 GPA is still competitive.
You still have time before you apply to show an upward trend in your sGPA.